Old 01-16-2018, 10:45 PM   #41

Bad idea. Many marinas phrobit direct connect. Why? If you have an internal leak you could sink your boat.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:54 AM   #42
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Gary View Post
For those of you that want to bump the pressure up when you take a shower there is this.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XKL6WR9/...detail_1?psc=1

Just remember to turn it back down when you are finished.
I wonder what
less than 13% lead-free

means.

-Chris
Old 01-17-2018, 08:42 AM   #43

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tadhana View Post
When I hear of a problem on a “friend’s boat” or a “guy I knew’s ” boat, I get suspicious. I much more trust firsthand experience...................... .
We don't live long enough to gain firsthand experience with every situation.

BoatUUS insurance division has seen a lot of stuff, mostly when there has been a problem. They have seen boats sink from city water and a failed boat water system and they have written about it in the BoatUS magazine.

BTW: I have personally experienced a failure where the boat's PEX came out of a fitting and dumped the contents of my water tanks into the bilge (and the river by way of the bilge pump). Fortunately, there was no city water connection so it was just a matter of moving the water from the tanks to the bilge. No additional water.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:06 AM   #44

See below. I had a similar problem years ago. Neighbor noticed boat was down at the bow. Harbormaster used external pumps to get her back to normal. No damage but many spares in deep storage got wet. Always turn off water when you leave the boat. In this case the guest I had on the boat was conscientious about turning off water, but oblivious to the sound of it running. And don't think the bilge pumps will save you. They will burn out with continuous use.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:09 AM   #45
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Yes...it has happened, like many other causes of sinkings.

If it was that big of a risk, why do insurance companies allow them or not specifically warn you about them, or a dozen other things to discourage you from using city water?

Does ABYC address them in any way? I bet boats wiith the ABYC stickers on them have city water inlets.

I too have had fitting and hose failures.... probably a half dozen or so though my years as a liveaboard and none were such that a decent bilge pump wasnt keeping up. Sure I was lucky they werent total failures, but like many failures...only a tiny percent are worst case scenarios.

So yes like many things in life, not using city water is an absolute...against sinking from a fresh water system, not sinking in general that seems to be just as prolific from various reasons....but with a few drawbacks.

Some mitigate that risk and enjoy yhe benefits with using city water.

No right or wrong about it..... worrying about worst case scenarios over city water....compared to all the worst case scenarios of boating that should also deserve a litte worry will take the pleasure right out of boating.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #46
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
The only true pressure reducers I would trust using dock pressue is one like this. I would also add a pressure gage on the discharge so you can adjust a pressure safe for your water system. Using dock pressure I guess is for boats with small water tanks needing refilling every few days, or those lucky enough to have w/d aboard.
These pressure reducers are sold in the big box stores for about $80 plus hose fittings and pressure gage.
That's what was OEM on the Hatteras.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #47
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
The foolproof way of not sinking a boat from city water is to not hook the boat to city water. Fill the tanks and use water from the tanks. Anything else is taking a risk. Your risk tolerance is up to you but remember, even if you have never seen a boat sink from being connected to the city water system, it can and has happened.
Dear Lord, following that thinking, one would never have electricity on board or heaven forbid, propane. The best way to avoid having a boat you own sink is to not own a boat.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:35 AM   #48

City: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
Dear Lord, following that thinking, one would never have electricity on board or heaven forbid, propane. The best way to avoid having a boat you own sink is to not own a boat.
That too.
aboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #49
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I'm still wondering what the advantage a dock water connection is.

Is it just to avoid having to occasionally fill the tanks? or is there something else I'm missing here?
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #50
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusCan View Post
I'm still wondering what the advantage a dock water connection is.

Is it just to avoid having to occasionally fill the tanks? or is there something else I'm missing here?
Good point.

For me, I guess its because I get a little better water pressure and I can take "Hollywood" showers.

Hey it take a lot of valuable time to fill my water tank!! OK I am just lazy....
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #51

A very metaphysical analysis. Bottom line, it is a risk absentee owners best avoid. And bilge pumps will burn out quickly with continuous use. But we all make daily choices about risk. So enjoy. But understand the risk is real, not hypothetical.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:33 PM   #52
Guru

So are the thousand ways to die just driving to your boat.

As to the benefits of city water connections...live aboard for a decade or more and get back to me.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:42 PM   #53

I have had the experience for 18 years. But I travel a lot and get peace of mind from not being connected, though I do replace water pumps frequently.
Old 01-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #54
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Interesting discussion. Even more interesting in how exited some get discussing it. I think it is good to point out that direct water connection is a risk. How folks chose to manage that risk depends on their situation and risk tolerance.

On my sailboat I used to close all seacocks when leaving the boat. I don’t on my current boat. It is a risk. I recognize that risk, mitigate it as I will, and still choose to take the risk for the sake of convenience. Some would consider me reckless, others will consider me foolish for even considering it a risk.

The same is true for dock water connections. We can gracefully allow others their own views.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #55

City: Beaufort, NC
Vessel Name: Previous owner GB 42 Classic
Vessel Model: Currently running a 23' CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Other Gary View Post
For those of you that want to bump the pressure up when you take a shower there is this.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06XKL6WR9/...detail_1?psc=1

Just remember to turn it back down when you are finished.
After reading mixed reviews on this device, about a year ago we installed it. I think it lasted about 9 months. Now you can twist the regulator screw all you want - no change in pressure in the boat. Oh, and the needle is stuck at 20PSI behind a flooded window. Just as many reviewers had noted. But - where else can I get a $50 10oz surf sinker that looks like a wounded starfish with a helmet on?
Old 01-17-2018, 04:46 PM   #56

Closing sea cocks is a good habit, exercises them.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:53 PM   #57
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Interesting discussion. Even more interesting in how exited some get discussing it. I think it is good to point out that direct water connection is a risk. How folks chose to manage that risk depends on their situation and risk tolerance.

On my sailboat I used to close all seacocks when leaving the boat. I don’t on my current boat. It is a risk. I recognize that risk, mitigate it as I will, and still choose to take the risk for the sake of convenience. Some would consider me reckless, others will consider me foolish for even considering it a risk.

The same is true for dock water connections. We can gracefully allow others their own views.
I know you are an astute reader of posts.

So I hope you know some topics I seem to get animated about are less about the topic as they are pointing out the topic isnt black or white, right or wrong, on or off...and not totally safe one way and totally dangerous another.

You understand risks and risk management...and that is all I am trying to convey. Using dockside water isnt a guaranteed sinking in a lifetime of boating...tho some are dang near making one want to think that.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #58
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
So I hope you know some topics I seem to get animated about are less about the topic as they are pointing out the topic isnt black or white, right or wrong, on or off...and not totally safe one way and totally dangerous another.

You understand risks and risk management...and that is all I am trying to convey. Using dockside water isnt a guaranteed sinking in a lifetime of boating...tho some are dang near making one want to think that.
I wasn't necessarily thinking of your posts and I agree with you. The risks I choose to take aren't necessarily the ones others would choose to take.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 05:49 PM   #59
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDarlin View Post
Bad idea. Many marinas phrobit direct connect. Why? If you have an internal leak you could sink your boat.
Which ones?

Never have come across one between NJ and florida over the last 15 years and probably over 100 marinas...plus never heard of anyone mentioning that restriction.

Want to make sure I bypass any you know of.
Old 01-17-2018, 06:36 PM   #60

Read closely your moorage agreement. Many prohibit connection.