Dock Space Prior to Boat Purchase....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FIRE

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sea Change
I originally posted this on the "Docks" part of the forum but hoped to get additional perspective. Reposting here to hopeful gain additional TF wisdom!

Looking for advice on how early to begin my search on securing seasonal dock space prior to boat purchase. In my case I think I am settled on a boat with a 16' beam and a LOA of about 60.9'.
Difficult part is that our plan is to use the boat aggressively in the beginning cruising up or down the ICW depending on where the purchase takes place. Bahamas...Island hopping etc. and summering in the Northeast. Does one just figure on transient dock space during the non hurricane cruising season? What is the average cost per foot? Do many places offer discounted rates if you stay a month or more? Can you find budget places that are within a reasonable distance of where you want to be? Anyone with experience with Dockwa that can comment if its only the high end marinas that subscribe to the service. Is there another good book or AP for this purpose? Sorry for the rapid fire questions...but I have so much to learn and understand!

THANKS! At the moment we are about 2 years out from purchase with boat money at the ready in a month or so after close on our primary residence. Yah-Hoooo...BTW - what a market to sell a house in! Pent up demand, low interest rates and people working from home! Now is the time.

Simple...

Get on a waiting list for the harbor you want to be at.

I was on our waiting list for three years before I bought our current boat.

My marina wanted to know specifics of the specific boat to be docked, including photographs.

When we started looking for a cruising boat (45-50') in 2018, I checked long term slip availability at our local marinas and quickly found that there was none and we would likely have to wait for years for one to open up. As luck would have it, a couple months later, a rare 50' privately owned slip came up for sale and we purchased it. We rented it to others for about 18 months which worked out really well until we found and purchased our boat.

Dockwa varies with the locale - I have paid $2.25/ft per nightDown to $60 flat rate for my 49 in the past 2weeks on AICW. It’s just a payment service but convenient because your data is already entered in the app including BoatUS membership info etc. for discounts.

More useful at higher priced marinas is onspotwifi which generally gets you a strong signal as well as sufficient bandwidth for streaming!

I have a big boat and don't stay at marinas. When cruising I anchor and use a smaller boat on the transient dock. If I'm going to stay in the area, I'll rent a slip for the small boat, 16' I/O. And that allows me a place to park my truck. In the winter I have a private dock. It's the only way to go with a big boat.

Get or build a watermaker and then water doesn't drive you to the dock. It's better than most marina water, too.

I have a big boat and don't stay at marinas. It's the only way to go with a big boat.

Get or build a watermaker and then water doesn't drive you to the dock. It's better than most marina water, too.

How does ONE find a private dock? Do you need to go house to house, who have a private dock, and try to convince them to rent it for you?
I don’t have a water maker yet, but it would not stop me to move to a private dock, even at a very remote location. Marinas and clubs do not attract me. Privacy and selfsufficiency does.

Back
Top Bottom