Dock Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chapman says "Dock lines frequently have an eye splice in one end but not the other. .... If you are going to be on board, it is better to retain the plain end on board. This means that you can make adjustments without getting off the boat. If there will be no one on the boat, use the end with the eye on board; use the end with the eye on board; the plain end ashore will allow adjustment without the necessity of boarding."

The general practice at my marina (which I follow) is to tie the plain end ashore. The docks are floating so adjustments, once the lines are secured, aren't usually necessary. When stepping off the boat (deck is low enough so jumping isn't necessary) to tie up (we don't rely on a shore party), it's convenient to have the lines first secured to the boat. I or a crew member adjust the lines from the dock. When leaving the berth, it is easier to recover the lines if they remain attached to the boat. Dock lines remain with the boat; have no permanent lines attached to the dock.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom