Dock lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was taught eye splices in dock lines is a bad idea. Thinking is you can’t undo a splice. If the line is under load you can’t detach it. If for any reason (someone entangled, need to let go quickly, whatever) you’re out of luck. Even after being loaded a bowline can be untied.

I would say that is a generalized blanket approach without reference to the many ways dock lines with eye splices can be arranged (such as doubling lines) to avoid the issues mentioned. I grew up securing destroyers to piers with eye-spliced samson-braid lines and continued that right into decades of mooring recreational vessels where cleat space is greatly improved with doubled lines by use of an eye splice. I simply cannot personally recall a single event since 1965 where an eye splice in a mooring line caused an issue in and of itself. I have seen poor shiphandling nearly kill a deck crew while I watched helplessly, but it was not a case of not being able to release an eye splice.

Just my 2 cents.

A related but silly question:

How are eye sizes specified? I see 24" eyes, 12" eyes, etc. But what does that number mean? Diameter of the eye when laid out as a circle? Circumference? Something else?

I want to make sure I'm getting what I think I am.

My current lines have nice big eyes - 64" circumference which means a 20" diameter when laid out. Few pilings that won't fit around.

Eye size is typically diameter in my experience. Most of my dock lines have 12" eyes, which fit over the horns of my 10" cleats with a little room to spare.

End with the eye around the piling, pull loose end through and back to the boat cleat, can adjust the lines from the boat. More often used permanent "home" dock lines.

Or eye on the cleat, loose end around the piling then, back to the boat, cleat and adjust the lines on the boat.

For my permanent home dock lines, I tie off on the dock cleats and use the eyes on the boat end. For the lines that go to pilings, I wrap around the piling and tie with a couple of half hitches. That prevents the lines from sliding vertically on the pilings when slack and also consumes the extra line so I have no tails to deal with. Coming in/out of the slip it's just a matter of placing and removing the eyes on the boat cleats.

Back
Top Bottom