Dock lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something I noticed on a neighbour's boat the other day, his spring lines were long enough to get in his wheel. Something to contemplate...

That was the idea rslifkin, to get you started. HaHa

Yup I think the black wheels look awful too.
One thing black that’s not a bad idea is the interior of cars. Light upholstery gets dirty looking much faster. But lighter colors look better if one can keep them clean. White upholstery looks terrible.

This is opinion .... 95%? .... must be some truth in it somewhere.
Truth .... people wear jeans because their appearance degrades minimally as they stain and get dirty w age. And that’s the truth

Norman,

Up in your neck of the woods, black interiors may work. Here in Florida, they are brutally hot. Love my white (or at least off white) and does stay clean.

If you boat on the rivers with lots of grundgy lock walls, black fenders come in very handy. White ones will get ugly very fast. And while fender covers look nice on the boat, when going 'up' in a big lock your boat will get pushed into the wall with great force, and those covers get messed up/shredded pretty easily. But I do prefer white dock lines :thumb:

FC,
The issue with black fenders for lock walls, is you don't see the grunge on the fenders and it gets on your boat. Grunge on white shows up easily and is cleaned.
However, for locking, the fender board eliminates all of the grunge on the boat.

Color me white for everything.

SeeVee wrote;
“Up in your neck of the woods, black interiors may work. Here in Florida, they are brutally hot. Love my white (or at least off white) and does stay clean.”

Yes and I like the look of natural leather best but otherwise don’t like leather in cars.

I’m not Norman. I’m Eric. Says so on every post. Wish all others would post their first name. Or make up a name if you’re afraid of being hacked. Many “handles” or avatar names are hard to transfer to a new post. Hard to spell and what’s upper case or not needs repeat look backs to get it right. PITA

SeeVee wrote;
“Up in your neck of the woods, black interiors may work. Here in Florida, they are brutally hot. Love my white (or at least off white) and does stay clean.”

Yes and I like the look of natural leather best but otherwise don’t like leather in cars.

I’m not Norman. I’m Eric. Says so on every post. Wish all others would post their first name. Or make up a name if you’re afraid of being hacked. Many “handles” or avatar names are hard to transfer to a new post. Hard to spell and what’s upper case or not needs repeat look backs to get it right. PITA

Sorry Eric,
I should have paid attention... so often folks just don't post names and easy to get in the habit of responding to the name by the avitar. Will do better.

SeeVee,
You’rs is so simple it really dosn’t matter.
I also wish people would post the state they live in. Most towns not a big city most people wouldn’t know what state the town or city was in. I at least would like to know what corner of the US the person I’m talk’in to lives in.

I live in Concrete but most here surely don’t know if it’s in New England, down by Texas or up by Montana. And what you say in a post likely will be different in different areas.

And SeeVee I wasn’t pick’in on you. Just using you w/o your permission. My bad. Sorry about that. I’ve done that before though ... surely shouldn’t.

Last edited:
FC,
The issue with black fenders for lock walls, is you don't see the grunge on the fenders and it gets on your boat. Grunge on white shows up easily and is cleaned.
However, for locking, the fender board eliminates all of the grunge on the boat.
Color me white for everything.

I use 2 semi-big orange round fenders for the locks.

Something I noticed on a neighbour's boat the other day, his spring lines were long enough to get in his wheel. Something to contemplate...

My aft line ended up in mine. Spurs can not cut through 5/8 braided.

I prefer long lines. Much easier for throwing if someone is there to assist.
Typically my wife will get aft spring on, and I will make a dash for bow line. We're in a double slip and once docked in 25+. By the time I got off the boat a gust just grabbed the bow and it was off to the races. We ended up almost sideways in the slip. Very glad we had long lines.

I've been happy with the New England Rope I bought. I went with the three strand for ease of splicing, and they've held up well for the last year and 3,000+ miles. They've got years of life left in them.

On the spring lines long enough to hit the props thing, in my mind, it's unavoidable on a lot of boats. Coming in to an unfamiliar dock, I usually have a 35 or 50 set on the spring cleats. Even a 25 could probably hit the prop on that side, so I'd give up a lot of docking flexibility to avoid that risk. We're just extremely careful about making sure lines don't fall over the side.

On the spring lines long enough to hit the props thing, in my mind, it's unavoidable on a lot of boats.

I have many times had lines that weren't quite long enough for docking at unfamiliar transient slips. I have not yet had a line fall in the water such that it'd be a prop risk. I'll stick with having longer lines onboard.

Over the years I've gotten several sets of braided lines from these folks.

Online Rope Store, www.onlineropestore.com

Most usually when they're at the Annapolis boat show, but I've had some shipped as well. Very nice folks in person. They've even made money-saving suggestions. Like don't make two separate 25' lines, buy a 50' we'll put a second eye on it and cut it in half. The lines have held up quite well.

"That's CRAZY! I could argue to have the size that's appropriate for your boat, and tell the marine so."

It may be crazy, but not all that unusual in these parts. The fact that the marina keeps an eye on what lines people are using does give me some peace of mind when prepping for a named storm. Anyone with old-ratty ropes or using a water-ski line to secure their big vessel is quickly looking for a new marina.

In addition, arguing with the marina is a little bit like arguing with the wife. I can spend my weekends being right, or spend my weekends being happy!

I’ve been using Sampson three strand for years. Just moved slips, so about to replace my old lines just to add a foot here and there where cleats are in a different place. Usually cheaper than NE and has always held up well.

I’ll probably buy a spool of 5/8 and do a couple a weekend during the winter to finish the day after concluding other projects. I enjoy sitting at the dinette and taking my time splicing, sort of therapeutic and relaxing. Have not had need for chafe protection in my former slips, but will probably try stitching some leather I got from Sailrite in strategic places as I get quite a bit more wave action now that I’m in the furthest slip out.

Biggest mistake I see new boaters make is tying too short of lines, particularly a short inside stern tie, when they have the opportunity to put a nice long line over to the opposing stern cleat. Short lines can prevent the boat from riding properly.

As always...it depends.

My advice after tying up thousands of boats after several waterborne careers.

Fixed dock...springs import and others loose enough for tide.

Alongside a floating dock...tie tight and fender well.

If between floating fenders, tie tight, with one line that you can loosen easily or have secondary loop in line to drop on cleat to board.

Last edited:
rslifkin wrote;
“In case color matters, my lines are all black.”

Why black? Is this vanity or engineering? Or is black best because the bird s*it dosn’t hide.

Isn't black supposed to be more UV resistant?

I can't take my boat anywhere public with its motley collection of black/white and twisted/braided dock lines. I am sooo embarrassed. NOT :)

I can't take my boat anywhere public with its motley collection of black/white and twisted/braided dock lines. I am sooo embarrassed. NOT :)

Right, because it's the LINES that are the cause of your embarrassment... sure...

I kid, of course.

As a general rule, black will last longer because it does not let the UV in. That is why, for example, that black wire ties are used when they will be exposed to sunlight.

And you pick on my asymmetrical fenders... :hide::popcorn:

My aft line ended up in mine. Spurs can not cut through 5/8 braided.

I prefer long lines. Much easier for throwing if someone is there to assist.
Typically my wife will get aft spring on, and I will make a dash for bow line. We're in a double slip and once docked in 25+. By the time I got off the boat a gust just grabbed the bow and it was off to the races. We ended up almost sideways in the slip. Very glad we had long lines.

Toss a messenger line and have them pull the spring line after it... That way, a messenger will get cut by the spurs if necessary, and you can more easily and accurately toss a messenger line with a monkey fist on the end.

As a general rule, black will last longer because it does not let the UV in. That is why, for example, that black wire ties are used when they will be exposed to sunlight.

Many black lines have a higher breaking strength since the color pigment does not have the same strength as black does.
In black zip ties (also black cable insulation), the carbon in the formula blocks the UV and slows down UV damage.

And you pick on my asymmetrical fenders... :hide::popcorn:

Yeah, cuz you couldn't see my lines. :)

Actually, I thought your fender display was quite snappy, for a bumper car (boat). Oh, lord, forgive me for that and bless the pygmies......

Toss a messenger line and have them pull the spring line after it... That way, a messenger will get cut by the spurs if necessary, and you can more easily and accurately toss a messenger line with a monkey fist on the end.

A good idea.

A variation: Does anyone use a few lightweight lines (easier to throw, easier for a dockhand to quickly manage) when docking, to be replaced with the 'real' lines once you're settled?

Just a thought.

We're learning that tossing our normal lines (3/4"? 7/8"?) isn't that easy.

A variation: Does anyone use a few lightweight lines (easier to throw, easier for a dockhand to quickly manage) when docking, to be replaced with the 'real' lines once you're settled?

We're learning that tossing our normal lines (3/4"? 7/8"?) isn't that easy.
We typically use 5/8" and that's not usually been too challenging for tossing to dockhands. But we have often used 50 or 35' lines for that. I've gone back and swapped them for suitable length lines later, if just to avoid having a lot of extra line cluttering the deck. Where we typically travel using 3/4" or larger becomes a problem on the cleats. I do keep a pair of 35' 3/4" lines aboard but have had little need to use them. I typically only bother if we're expecting excessively windy conditions and I want to have a little extra security.

I personally use on my GB32 only polypro ropes, softer with limited stretch.

Ever had a sailboat rafted to you that was using his old running rigging as dock lines?
They will pull cleats right out if any kind of seas b/c no stretch line and all stretched out also. Like being rafted with chains.

Double braid 5/8" bow and stern with rubber snubbers. Spring line, same size, without snubber, CHB 34. The snubbers provide the necessary "give" and otherwise, keep the boat snug to the dock. Spring lines allow for limited front to back movement.

Color is black. History says white plastics are more susceptible to UV degradation. I don't know if that is true with nylon but....black never looks dirty.

Double braid 5/8" bow and stern with rubber snubbers. Spring line, same size, without snubber, CHB 34. The snubbers provide the necessary "give" and otherwise, keep the boat snug to the dock. Spring lines allow for limited front to back movement.

Color is black. History says white plastics are more susceptible to UV degradation. I don't know if that is true with nylon but....black never looks dirty.

During a rare storm at one of our YC outstations, I happened upon a Bayliner 4588 tied alongside a dock that was suffering severe twisting from wave action. That motion caused shock loading on her Black lines. The spring lines were surviving, but both the bow and stern lines were too short for that loading and had failed. They remained tied at both the boat ends, on cleats and through hawse holes, and at the dock bullrail, but in the short length from boat to dock, the core of each line had broken, so only the cover was holding. Those were new-looking lines, of at least adequate diameter. Without the owner present, I had no way to determine how old the lines were, or where they had been purchased.
I don't know if the line having broken in the core was peculiar to the black lines, or if any line would suffer the same fate under shock loading, just cautious.

Too-short lines? Any color is in jeopardy.

Back
Top Bottom