Dock and lift bonding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cabinetman1955

Veteran Member
I am having a lift installed 220v 30amp and a 120v 30amp shore power plug installed on my own dock. Should it have a ground rod driven along side one of the posts in the water or in the water at the shore line? and should the ground rod be connected to the ground & neutral leads? Running to the lift and the shore plug.
The power runs from a 50amp sub @feed in my shop which has 2 ground rods. Thank you!

Didn't see GFI (Ground Fault Interrupt) breaker in your plan.

Ted

I just did one of these installs. My inspector didn’t need a ground rod at the lift.
But, the 240v lift does need GFCI protection.
Interestingly, the 30 Amp twist lock does not, but I did put a ELCI breaker on that one. Any 120v convenience outlets get 5mA protection. Also note height over mean high water outlet requirements.
Also, you will need insulated green grounding wire from the sub, not bare.

Last edited:
I am having a lift installed 220v 30amp and a 120v 30amp shore power plug installed on my own dock. Should it have a ground rod driven along side one of the posts in the water or in the water at the shore line? and should the ground rod be connected to the ground & neutral leads? Running to the lift and the shore plug.
The power runs from a 50amp sub @feed in my shop which has 2 ground rods. Thank you!

A ground rod may or may not be a good idea but the ground and neutral must NEVER be connected except at (the source of power) this is usually but definitely not always at the breaker panel that feeds it. (If the breaker is in a sub-panel from another breaker panel then the ground and neutral are not to be connected there either)

Ken

A ground rod may or may not be a good idea but the ground and neutral must NEVER be connected except at (the source of power) this is usually but definitely not always at the breaker panel that feeds it. (If the breaker is in a sub-panel from another breaker panel then the ground and neutral are not to be connected there either)

Ken

:iagree:

David

Back
Top Bottom