Old 04-17-2017, 07:59 AM   #1
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Dock Electric at Home

Looking for ideas for home dock power for a second boat. First one is hooked up with 30A, using typical outdoor home products, and has worked fine for 15 years.

This time I'm thinking of going with marine products, at least the female plug and have the sealing ring, as it will be more exposed as the first one. Don't think I need a pedestal, which are pricey, but might consider one if priced right without TV or phone connections.

Thoughts?
Old 04-17-2017, 08:55 AM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Hubbel and Marinco both make marine 30A outlets with locking threads that will fit up to a standard outlet box. Just replace you existing home outlet with one of these. See https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marin...HKyBoCrGHw_wcB
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #3
FF
Guru

Run a new 240V 50A power line.

Install (2) 4 prong RV or stove socket with 30A CB to power to each leg..

You are covered now , covered in the future when the next boat or dock owner shows up, with a bigger power need.

Change out the 30A for 50A and you are done.

No $120+ boat sockets are needed .Just an adapter .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 09:00 PM   #4
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Run a new 240V 50A power line.

Install (2) 4 prong RV or stove socket with 30A CB to power to each leg..

You are covered now , covered in the future when the next boat or dock owner shows up, with a bigger power need.

Change out the 30A for 50A and you are done.

No $120+ boat sockets are needed .Just an adapter .
FF,

I'll certainly run a new line, keeping the old one and need a NEW 50a service for the new boat. I'll need to spend way north of $120 bucks, just wonder if there are huge advantages in getting the marine stuff over household stuff.

A pedestal would be nice, but a bit pricey, unless I could find a very reasonable one. And I have another application for some pedestals for a place I go... just need some info.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:02 AM   #5
FF
Guru

"just wonder if there are huge advantages in getting the marine stuff over household stuff."

The only requirement for "marine" would be at the end of the adaptor so a guest can use his marine power hose .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:40 AM   #6
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
The advantage to the marine power pole is, it has built in circuit breakers.

If you choose to go without the power pole, you will have to mount a breaker box and an outlet.

Marine power pedestal vs. a breaker box and outlets nailed to a 4X4 post is a function of your dock. Nice dock - power pedestal. Utilitarian dock - boxes nailed to a 4X4.

In the grand scheme of things, is it worth it to not use marine outlets? To use a household outlet and buy an adapter? I think you will be happier with the marine adapter. And possibly with the power pedestal.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote