Old 05-30-2016, 10:43 AM   #21
Guru

City: Vero Beach, FL.
Vessel Name: FIREFLY
Vessel Model: Pilgrim 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
We use a brass marine combination pad lock.

Downside is light is required to set the combo.

On our dink we use a key lock , as well as Edson oar security device to keep the oars aboard.

Edson Oar-Loc - Oar Safety Locking Device

I had this with my hanger, I left the lock with 3 preset and one wheel one click off. In the dark I knew the wheel to turn one click and open the lock, also let me know if someone fiddled with the lock while I was gone.
SCOTTEDAVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
While we do lock, the locked door is really not a key element of our security. If we're not aware of an intruder before they get to a door, some other element of our system failed.

This is our first boat ever carrying the RIB on the swim platform. I admit to worrying about it there, probably just because it's different to me. We do have it secured with more than one lock and alarmed, but still wouldn't be that difficult to take.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:01 AM   #23
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
While we do lock, the locked door is really not a key element of our security. If we're not aware of an intruder before they get to a door, some other element of our system failed.
I put the question about keys as an emergency access issue and how that was handled. Pity some folks have to keep their possessions in vaults.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #24
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
I put the question about keys as an emergency access issue and how that was handled. Pity some folks have to keep their possessions in vaults.
And I answered earlier as to the emergency access issue. Then others got into it as a security issue. Now, just what is the vault comment about? Is that intended as an insult because we do have security systems? We also have alarms for things other than intruders such as water, loss of power, fire. And the reason we have security has far more to do with protecting persons aboard than protecting things, but we do prefer not allowing easy access to things. Things are all insured but doesn't mean we care to lose them. Someone takes your computers or all your electronics and you've got a lot of work ahead and those are the first items thieves go for.

I once had a car broken into and nothing of real value was taken, just briefcases full of old papers. However, recovering some of the documents was quite a task and I couldn't drive the car without the window and with glass in the seat in 30 degree weather as this occurred at an airport. My loss was minor. My inconvenience was major.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:54 AM   #25
Guru

City: Sidney
Insult?
Man you are touchy.
Not at all.

Just saying, it's a pity we have advanced and progressed to the point of needing to build a double gated, IR, draw bridged Fort Knox around ourselves.

Well maybe not all of us, yet.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #26
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
Insult?
Man you are touchy.
Not at all.

Just saying, it's a pity we have advanced and progressed to the point of needing to build a double gated, IR, draw bridged Fort Knox around ourselves.

Well maybe not all of us, yet.
I guess I haven't lived in the times that security wasn't necessary. I know there's a time in rural areas you knew all your neighbors and there was trust, although even then there were break-ins. However, that security then wasn't felt in big cities. I have never been in a situation where locking house doors and locking cars was not necessary so I'm sure I accept it as more the norm than others might. I don't think of Fort Knox as the analogy, at least I hope Fort Knox is better protected. However, security systems are very inexpensive compared to what they were ten years ago. So, I have more simply because it's easy to do.

Several years ago, Burger was asked to build the most secure yacht possible. This turned out to be Sea Owl and it was a nightmare as they were waiting on security experts designs and basically had no idea what they were doing so huge delays. Since then the owner has had Feadship build him a new Sea Owl. I remember thinking the same as you, how sad that he felt the need for so much security. Then at least some comfort he can get it so he can enjoy the water. I don't know who he is or his circumstance. He also may be traveling areas I wouldn't.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #27
Guru

City: Port Townsend
Vessel Name: The Promise
Vessel Model: Roughwater 35
Our starboard door is locked on the inside, we exit on the port side and lock it with a combination padlock. Friends and the marina have the combination.
dhmeissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:03 PM   #28
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
My keys are in the ignition if they are required in an emergency. I also leave a tag attached saying the engine r/w seacock is closed. I do lock the cockpit door to keep the insurance company happy, but the sliding window next to the helm is unlocked if anyone needs the keys.

And no, - nothing has ever gone missing. Like Tidahapah, I've found items that have been left for me after helping others with a problem.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #29
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I should hide a key. Nothing worse than driving out to the boat to discover you left the keys on the counter at home.
Worse yet is to be cruising in a town far from home and lock the boat with the key inside.

Yes, I have a key hidden outside the boat.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:31 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Victoria, BC
Vessel Name: Fair Play
Vessel Model: 1960 Taley 40' cruiser
I take the middle road. Key is on the boat and the boat quasi locked. I don't actually know where the key is but can jimmie my way in without breaking stride. I do lock the dingy to the boat but that will only stop a casual thief.

Never locked my house in the country unless I was going away for a few days and taking the dogs. 700' driveway and no neighbors they would have all the time in the world to break in. I'll just smash a window if we ever get robbed. Don't lock my cabin either but it's several kilometers from a road. Figure anyone that wants in will get in and do more damage than there is stuff to steal. I have had hikers sign the guest book.
alesnloggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 04:56 PM   #31
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I do keep one stashed outside the boat, I keep an extra key in a magnetic box under my pickup too (no combination door lock)
Old 05-30-2016, 05:15 PM   #32
Guru

City: Vallejo, California
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Yes
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:15 PM   #33
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I leave keys in the ignition. But I disable the electric fuel pumps.

Last person at the marina and only one I know of killed, was shot by the owner with a shotgun as the thief snuck onboard. Happened in Hampton VA few years ago.
He goes onto boat to steal something late night thinking the owner was not there. Thief and owner were acquainted, friendly, although they guy was a blackhearted fellow, IMO, other people had some issues with the guy.

After the owner killed the thief, and saw who it was it, this emotionally ruined him and he sold the boat and we never saw him again.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:02 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
There are signs on Bay Pelican which instruct a Good Samaritan how to start the engines, raise the anchor and basically save the boat if it is dragging at anchor. The upper helm is unlocked and the boat can be operated from there.

The boat itself is locked at anchor when we are not aboard.

This is a risk calculation issue. More likely damage from the boat dragging (has not happened so far) then from a thief stealing the whole boat.

I have manually raised and reset anchors on dragging boats a number of times. My approach is to make it easier for the Good Samaritan to help.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #35
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
I once boarded a sailboat that had dragged and was banging on the rocks at the end of its stern tie. No security issues stopping me from getting the boat re anchored.

I have also witnessed other Good Sams trying to figure what to do with a 115ft yacht dragging in Long Harbour, eventually someone was brave enough (ex RCMP guy) to go aboard and try to get the engines started. Security of the boat issues kept the dithering going till there was little time to act before the boat would have been on the rocks. Ultimately resolved without any difficulties, as the boat was not locked and the keys in the ignitions.
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 08:01 PM   #36
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Some years ago, someone got past the marina's locked gates and gained access. Stole a boat while ripping out dock cleats. Consumed the liquor aboard and ended up aground on the Pacific side of San Francisco.

http://www.stripersonline.com/surfta...n-ocean-beach/

We keep things locked. Both I and first mate bring/have boat keys.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:58 PM   #37
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
Wow! We are fortunate enough to live and boat in a place that has not turned into grand theft central.

Our neighbors look out for us and we for them.

When cruising we always dingy over an meet the neighbors and in a new port we lock the door when away.

Ebbtide has no ignition key, never did and never will.
Old 05-30-2016, 11:09 PM   #38
Guru

City: Sydney
Padlocks and locks only there to keep out honest thieves
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:12 PM   #39
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
If I left a hidden key, I sure wouldn't advertise it here online.

What do you do, Hawgwash?

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:26 PM   #40
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
If I left a hidden key, I sure wouldn't advertise it here online.

What do you do, Hawgwash?

Mine is in the BBQ
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote