Do you Sous-Vide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is square it is not a pizza :rofl:

Blasphemy to a Chicagoan! Many of our pizzas are square. Our thin crust is almost always cut into squares of 4-5 inches. Even with a round thin crust pizza, if you cut it into traditional slices, it would fall apart when you pick it up.

I have a hard time finding good Chicago pizza in some areas. True Chicago thin crust is topped cheese melted into the other toppings. That's hard to find on the left coast. I usually ask if it's cut into squares. If not, I don't trust it.

Blasphemy to a Chicagoan! Many of our pizzas are square. Our thin crust is almost always cut into squares of 4-5 inches. Even with a round thin crust pizza, if you cut it into traditional slices, it would fall apart when you pick it up.

I have a hard time finding good Chicago pizza in some areas. True Chicago thin crust is topped cheese melted into the other toppings. That's hard to find on the left coast. I usually ask if it's cut into squares. If not, I don't trust it.

My definition of a good pizza is a lot of meat, perhaps tomato, maybe dell pepper, more meat of various types except no pepperoni. And now the key thing. No Cheese. But I don't care if it's round or square.

My definition of a good pizza is a lot of meat, perhaps tomato, maybe dell pepper, more meat of various types except no pepperoni. And now the key thing. No Cheese. But I don't care if it's round or square.

Whaaat...no cheese!...now that is blasphemy...no cheese...not a pizza..! :facepalm:

Whaaat...no cheese!...now that is blasphemy...no cheese...not a pizza..! :facepalm:

I thought I was the only one getting pizza with no cheese, but all the pizza companies now have that as an option on their order pages. They all added it years ago.

You had me going all the way to "No Cheese"!

IMO No Cheese = No Pizza :eek: :facepalm:

Lots o' xtra garlic too!! :thumb:

My son did a pro-chef course, with different visiting Cordon Blue starred restaurant owners each week who gave insider tips...

UNEVEN COOKING Tip: the best way to fry or grill steaks or lamb cutlets etc is to sear them crispy on just one side , then flip then over and cook to whatever specs you want from red to pink to overcooked on the other side.

ie: DON'T cook them evenly on both sides!

Works a treat. :)

My son did a pro-chef course, with different visiting Cordon Blue starred restaurant owners each week who gave insider tips...

UNEVEN COOKING Tip: the best way to fry or grill steaks or lamb cutlets etc is to sear them crispy on just one side , then flip then over and cook to whatever specs you want from red to pink to overcooked on the other side.

ie: DON'T cook them evenly on both sides!

Works a treat. :)

Good to know, I will try that way. Thanks !

Good to know, I will try that way. Thanks !

Sounds counter intuitive, but it works!

Remember to let all cooked meat rest for minimum 10 minutes before serving to let the meat re-adsorb the moisture that has evaporated in the cooking process ...obviously you will need to let it rest on a hot plate or surface so that it doesn't get cold .

No so sure about the scientific basis for this particular tip?

Sounds counter intuitive, but it works!

Remember to let all cooked meat rest for minimum 10 minutes before serving to let the meat re-adsorb the moisture that has evaporated in the cooking process ...obviously you will need to let it rest on a hot plate or surface so that it doesn't get cold .

No so sure about the scientific basis for this particular tip?

Thanks for the tips.
We do not need always scientific explanation in cooking as long as food hygiene is respected, only the end - I mean good taste - matters :)

I sort of left out the part that a lot of time now it's not us so we do whatever others want. We even give in periodically to pizza when the young girls want it.

We have an outdoor pizza oven at home. It has a payback of approximately never but the young people love it and when we have cookouts, it's another option for those who want it.

OK, since you two are approximately half the age of some of us around here...

:)

Maybe sometime in another thread you oughta hum a few bars about all those "young people" you drag around with you...

:)

-Chris

Hijack, sorry! :hide:

Heck, a little tough skin is required to be on any discussion forum.:facepalm:

Now... back to cooking! :thumb: :D

That's the theory, but it depends on whose ox is being gored, doesn't it? I've observed that some of the loudest voices calling for people to man-up or lecturing about "political correctness" have the thinnest skin on some forums and tend to come out swinging at the slightest provocation. Fortunately, none of that ever happens on the Trawler Forum. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IMG_2397.JPG
    IMG_2397.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 46
OOOOUCH!! Gotta be more than thick skinned in that case... how about tough assssed!!

Ahhh.....PIZZA !!

OK so now the "P" word has come out. I make my own dough, sauce, and at times homemade mozzarella. I built a wood fired pizza oven from scratch, no kit.
Tried for years to achieve the real Napolitan Pizza and finally bit the bullet and had to build a proper wood fired oven. The oven is fired to approx 800* F to 900*F and rested for about an hour to heat soak the mass of brick. After cooking pizzas , the insulated steel door is put in place and the oven will lose approx 100*F per day ,without adding any more wood. This allows for cooking on the residual heat for 5 days before adding something like a pork butt overnight at 225*F. Wow, yum.
Here are a few items that have been run through the oven. Nothing like cooking with wood!20140423_193444.jpg

20131119_170853.jpg

20141018_173812.jpg

20150215_102919.jpg

20140809_182416.jpg

20131012_193013.jpg

20131208_172557.jpg
Now my arm and shoulder hurts from patting myself on the back so much, I'm somewhat embarassed for the self promotion.;)
Buon Appetito, Bill

In order of appearance, the cast:
Tutto Forno ( my oven)
Bistecca Maremma
Beer can chicken
Short rib pizza
Porchetta & mixed root vegetables
Porchetta
Seafood Paella

OK so now the "P" word has come out. I make my own dough, sauce, and at times homemade mozzarella. I built a wood fired pizza oven from scratch, no kit.
Tried for years to achieve the real Napolitan Pizza and finally bit the bullet and had to build a proper wood fired oven. The oven is fired to approx 800* F to 900*F and rested for about an hour to heat soak the mass of brick. After cooking pizzas , the insulated steel door is put in place and the oven will lose approx 100*F per day ,without adding any more wood. This allows for cooking on the residual heat for 5 days before adding something like a pork butt overnight at 225*F. Wow, yum.
Here are a few items that have been run through the oven. Nothing like cooking with wood!View attachment 60573

Bill - Nice P Oven!

Being well versed in masonry... Photo is P Oven I hand built for friend/biz associate. Unfortunately he passed in 2015.

Attachments

• 100_0973.jpg
    100_0973.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 100_0979.jpg
    100_0979.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Just finished with this thread. Now I feel like I need to go out and get a sous vide machine to try. As for other things mentioned:
- We do pizza on the grill on the boat. Granted, we get the premade crusts, but it works out nice for snacks/lunch.
- We bought an Instapot pressure cooker and love it. Haven't used our slow cooker since we purchased (and if we want to slow cook, the Instapot also works as a slow cooker). We made beef stew a couple weeks ago in less than an hour, including prep. Great for getting home late but wanting a hearty meal.
- The only other gadget we use regularly, and I'm a self professed gadget freak, is our rice cooker. We use that at least once a week. Instapot also works as a rice cooker, but it is too big for that given just the two of us.

Now off to find a new kitchen gadget . .. .

Now off to find a new kitchen gadget . .. .

New kitchen gadget :D :

'To cook bacon evenly without having to turn it, and helps the fat drain for a healthier breakfast option'.

Attachments

• BACON COOKER.jpg
    BACON COOKER.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 26
I don't think they need opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere but is that also available for right -handers ?

New kitchen gadget :D :

'To cook bacon evenly without having to turn it, and helps the fat drain for a healthier breakfast option'.

Long ago I had a baconer of some sort, not exactly like the one you pictured. It actually worked well. However, microwave bacon appeared and the baconer was rendered obsolete.

Had a hot dog machine once too.

Indoor grills, I've been through them all. Cheap Sanyo grill to expensive Breville, then to Gaggenau and Kenyon. Oh, and don't leave out the T-Fal Optigrill which is pretty amazing and works exactly like they claim. Every kitchen tool too, some good, some not so good.

I've never been able to get the hang of the slow cooker. I've had others use them around me and it worked great, but mine never turned out as well. For someone who seldom cooks, I still very much love kitchen stores.

Nice job, Art, on the oven for your friend.
I love the individuality of hand built ovens, truly a labor of love and a work of art.:thumb:

This gets used more often that I would have imagined when I got it as a gag gift.

Attachments

• George.jpg
    George.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 22
This gets used more often that I would have imagined when I got it as a gag gift.

I think I had about 4 different George Foreman grills. Much better now, but back then cleanup was a mess. Still, I never liked them for steak, but found them excellent for chicken.

Back
Top Bottom