Do you know the correct name for these?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TorronaPwr

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Ava
Vessel Make
Cruisers Yachts 3075
Hi everyone, and many thx for all the previous help:)

The dashboard items shown in the photos need replacing and I would like to know the correct name so I can google resources to purchase in Canada, instead of push-to-reset-thingymabobs.

The writing says Schurter, and I assume they are some kind of breaker?

I can't make out all of the writing so do you think 20amp would be correct for the Blowers, and the same for the window wipers - or maybe 15amp for the wipers? tia.

Attachments

• Backside.jpg
    Backside.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 43
The push to reset things are circuit breakers. As to what rating breaker to use it depends on the wire size. Breakers are there to protect the wiring from burning up.

Thx for the speedy reply - Are there markings on the wires that will tell me wire size? I can check next visit to the boat.

Mouser or Newark will have them or something similar. But before you go replacing breakers, it's not a bad idea to be sure that they're not actually working. You know, doing their job to prevent excessive current draw...

Why do you think the circuit breakers need replacing? I recently had a problem with a bilge pump that wouldn't run. Tried to trace the wiring but I lost it inside a bulkhead and I got messed up, so I mistakenly thought it had to be a bad circuit breaker. I ordered replacement circuit breakers, figured I'd replace them all while I was at it, but it ultimately turned out it was a battery issue (long story, I'll skip the details, isn't pertinent to this discussion). I was able to get replacement breakers identical to those at a NAPA auto parts store off the shelf -- same model number and manufacturer and everything, no need to chase a marine supplier.

As for the specs though if you still want to replace them, if you unscrew the retention ring on the other side/face side of the panel, you should be able to turn those circuit breakers around or take them out, and the label or housing will show you the amps. They very rarely fail though. Turns out all my old breakers were working fine so I ordered replacements for no reason.

Thx for the speedy reply - Are there markings on the wires that will tell me wire size? I can check next visit to the boat.

Some wires are marked and some aren’t. After a while you will learn to know what size it it by looking at it. Maybe look in an auto parts store to get an idea what size you are looking at. Maybe buy a sample of each size and mark them so you can compare them to what is in your boat.

Thx for the input guys - the reason i need to replace them is that the male plastic threading on the top rubber cover has broken off inside the female circuit breaker and I can't get it out, so I thought it easier to replace the whole breaker.
I'll take the old ones out and check the housing as kthoennes suggested.

All the data is on the label. A better photo and we could read even the part number. Wire size needed is a combination of amps and run length. Since the circuit breaker has no idea what your run length is it can't specify a wire size.

tiltrider1 the photo is blurred (so was the photographer when he took the shot), but the label itself is worn and virtually unreadable. I'll take the two units out and see if I can read them more clearly under better conditions . I was hoping someone had replaced wiper and blower breakers so I could buy new and replace at the same time I took the old ones out. But no biggie:)

Does your Cruisers Inc vessel have a wire diagram in the owners manual? If so it will specify the Amp rating on the diagram if you can't read the label on the breaker. Also a call to Cruisers with a HIN might get you that data. One problem with our guessing is there maybe one or more blowers on the load end of that breaker which would change the rating required.

Last edited:
You might get a wire size / amp clue from backside.
10ga-12ga crimp terminal are yellow
14ga-16ga crimp terminal are blue
12ga good for 20A, 14ga good for 20A
14ga stranded wire dia about same as thkness of a quarter
12ga stranded wire dia about 20% thicker than a half dollar

Last edited:
Yes High Wire I remember a wiring diagram in the manual. Thx, I will look it over - I never thought of that!
I copied and pasted your info into a boat resource file I keep, Baccus - if it works here, great, but it's also good data to have for the future - thx:)

IMHO it is unlikely that the breakers are specific to their intended use. Most panels for boat use, in older boats, were supplied with an array of breakers and a box of labels. When being wired in, the use of the breakers were assigned by the person installing the items to be connected, not by the amperage capacity of the breaker, as they were likely all the same. If you can't read the part number or amp capacity on one, try another.

Hi keith - This part of the dash was difficult to pull out fully - never been done before I think - but I did glimpse one which I could read as 15A and one that was 20A. Of course, I can't read the ones I want to change. Murphy's Law:)

Back
Top Bottom