Do you cruise without paper charts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most of our cruising is now limited to the California Delta and San Francisco Bay so I don't normally plot my courses on paper although I keep Bay and Delta charts on the boat as well coastal charts. When we were cruising Mexico I always plotted my courses and checked the paper chart every hour while on watch and I asked my watch keepers to do the same. I also had a back up hand held GPS on board in addition to my chartplotter

I've had electronics go down on me on a very, very foggy day in San Francisco / San Pablo Bay while returning up river. The old fashioned way paper chart, compass and depth sounder saved my bacon. Personally I would not leave home without them.

One thing I found in training in business was that to run parallel systems, old and new, slowed the pace of learning and adapting. I do think that some people who are dependent on paper charts haven't fully learned the capabilities of all their electronics and/or haven't kept up with new electronics. I can't prove this but it also seems logical that they would be the ones updating electronics less frequently. So they end up with outdated information on their chart plotter and outdated charts. I've heard how for some cruising areas nothing ever changes. However, it only takes one notice to mariners that you don't have. Some areas do shift more than others, but the frequency of notices is huge.

I'm not going to suggest or campaign for everyone to toss their paper charts overboard. However, I think all would be wise at least to read Jeffrey's article. It's very thought provoking even if you don't agree with parts of it or it's conclusion.

Duckworks - The Second Most Dangerous Thing Onboard

I think your conclusions are erroneous and frankly a bit silly. I have no problem with folks not using paper as long as they are comfortable with their backups of choice (for some that would be no backup). However to say that paper charts are dangerous because folks don't update them is a step too far.

I know from your past postings that you are a very meticulous, careful, and responsible captain. I get that same impression from Jeffrey. I will assume that you are continually checking to see if there are updates for your electronic charts for the various platforms that you use. However, how many other boaters are as disciplined? While it is relatively easy to update an iPad or computer based chart as long as you have internet access, it is not easy to continually update most of the marine plotters out there that are a decade old or so. An electronic chart that is not updated is just as prone to the problems that you have mentioned as paper charts that aren't updated.

So, make all the arguments you want about the necessity of updating charts. I will even agree that updating some electronic charts is a lot easier than with paper. However, I don't buy the argument that paper charts have an inherent risk to them.

What I find silly that so many people think daytime, clear weather coastal cruising is all the hard or dangerous...but that's from my perspective.

For some it might be, for others it is a walk in the park.

Pretty hard to broad stroke any of this.

In flying...the first thing they teach you is VFR flying where you absolutely trust your eyes and the seat of your pants.

The next stage is IFR or instrument flying where they teach you to fly solely on instruments and not trust your eyes or the seat of your pants.

Both are learned skills and how to deal with exceptions...but does relate somewhat to boats....

Tossed around, scared and tired in a boat coming in a dangerous inlet at night and in the fog...yes... you trust your instruments way beyond what you see, hear or feel.

I own a variety of tools just for the purpose of cutting wood. Some hand and some power. Why would I limit myself to one tool? Or rather, one type?

Same with navigation tools.

The dichotomy seems fabricated.

I think your conclusions are erroneous and frankly a bit silly. I have no problem with folks not using paper as long as they are comfortable with their backups of choice (for some that would be no backup). However to say that paper charts are dangerous because folks don't update them is a step too far.

I know from your past postings that you are a very meticulous, careful, and responsible captain. I get that same impression from Jeffrey. I will assume that you are continually checking to see if there are updates for your electronic charts for the various platforms that you use.

So, make all the arguments you want about the necessity of updating charts. I will even agree that updating some electronic charts is a lot easier than with paper. However, I don't buy the argument that paper charts have an inherent risk to them.

I didn't really conclude much except things about "some" people, never the majority or how many. In terms of training and two systems, it was based on quite a few systems implementations. Still boaters may be different as they're not on the job and not time restricted.

I 100% agree with updating of electronic being as big an issue as it is for paper. I've run across people in both cases who have not updated in years.
All charts have inherent risks if people aren't properly trained on them and if they aren't maintained, paper and electronic. I recall running across someone who had purchased his boat used over 10 years ago and never updated his electronic charts, asking how he would go about doing so. Then someone cruising the ICW and using the same paper charts he used when he cruised it 20 years ago. Now, neither of these people had ever run aground and neither one ever cruised after dark.

I don't agree with everything Jeffrey wrote. It was a bit like a hot sports opinion as going a bit over the top to get your attention. However, I think there were a lot of points that we all should consider.

I think your conclusions are erroneous and frankly a bit silly...

...I will assume that you are continually checking to see if there are updates for your electronic charts for the various platforms that you use...

...However, I don't buy the argument that paper charts have an inherent risk to them.

For the most part, the apps I like best don't require me to check if there are updated charts. They realize when there is an internet connection and then connect to NOAA and tell me how many charts are waiting for update. With one click, the charts needing updating will be downloaded and installed without any further action by me. That's what we've all come to expect - software and data that lets us know when there are updates. It's one of the major innovations Apple provided with the iTunes store that informs you when an app has been updated and in one tap, gets the new version and installs it. That was new just 9 years ago.

Since it's been more than 3 years since the original essay, I have another point that has grown as time has marched on. Back in 2013, I didn't bring it up but it is very valid today.

I have a degree in mathematics. I like math. Deduced reckoning was one of my most favorite things about boating. I worked out all the tricks using 6 minute updates to allow the math to be done in my head. It was fun and I was pretty good at it. I did plenty of boating before there was LORAN or GPS. I remember the time my dad bought an RDF at the Annapolis boat show. It was incredible to imagine that we could have a machine capable of double-checking our calculations.

Fast forward to today. Nearly none of us has DR skills any longer. Sure, give me some parallel rules on a beautiful clear day and I can work out the math. Probably. Don't add set and drift because I don't remember how to do it. Take me across the Gulf stream heading east and I probably couldn't hit Great Sale Cay unless I saw it first (today). Heading west, I'd surely hit America, but east? I doubt I could do it with the Gulf Stream calculation needed.

Next add some bad weather to the mix. Put me in 5 foot head-on seas and there is no way I'll be reliable at doing any type of DR calculation today. I'd guarantee that it would be wrong.

So the added danger today is that people put paper charts on their boat as a backup. But that backup only provides a false sense of security. If the time came when they really needed it, they couldn't use it. I know I couldn't reliably perform the math needed. A much better backup would be a tablet. Or another phone.

A common argument to that is, but wait - I'm on the ICW and I just want the paper charts to pick out buoys so I know where I am. And sure, paper can be used for that. This is assuming the GPS constellation is out because surely, everyone agrees that we are all safer by having our position constantly updated within 16 feet of our location. And if the GPS satellite system were shot out of the sky (and GLONASS too because every GPS manufactured after 2011 has both constellations supported) then you can still use your iPad to help figure out the next buoy and use visual means to align your position on the electronic chart. And again, add some weather with driving rain and the electronic charts will be a welcome alternative to wondering if that's R4 or R4A coming up.

The strange thing to me about the continuation of this argument is that I actually think that electronic charts are becoming dangerous too for a different reason. I've been asked to give a keynote talk at an upcoming NOAA planning meeting about that subject and the future of electronic charts. It's more than bewildering that there are still arguments about paper charts being made. The argument is akin to not understanding why anyone would leave a dock without a sextant.

It was a bit like a hot sports opinion as going a bit over the top to get your attention.

It honestly wasn't written to get extra attention by hyperbole. I was serious about every aspect of it. And I'm serious about the new dangers electronic charts are providing as well. Surely progress doesn't come to a complete halt the moment we accept the latest trends, right? I sort of think it's my job to constantly push the envelope of describing what's possible and then help to implement it.

We are at the most exciting point in the entire history of navigation. The innovations are not slowing up. And what'll happen next will make the paper-vs-electronic debate seem trivial.

Good points from BandB and Jeffrey. Keep in mind that my experience has been in a relatively limited region. Certainly much more limited than they.

I dunno about that. Invention of the chronometer was pretty good...

That took a lifetime to create and adopt. I said this was the most exciting point where multiple changes and multiple new capabilities are coming out within months of each other. Where modes of navigation and the information used for navigation are new and have never existed before.

There was one Longitude book. There will be a hundred books in the future about this point in time (none of them published on paper).

That took a lifetime to create and adopt. I said this was the most exciting point where multiple changes and multiple new capabilities are coming out within months of each other. Where modes of navigation and the information used for navigation are new and have never existed before.

There was one Longitude book. There will be a hundred books in the future about this point in time (none of them published on paper).

Every period of time has had modes that were new and had never existed before. Don't underestimate the past. And there are many books on previous periods. There also won't be as many on today's changes as you might think. It's a limited market. Now there will be more today because one doesn't have to go through the cost of publishing and printing.

OK, geometry, I get it. My line (a few generations) is longer than your line (months).

:)

just kidding... I take your point. (A pun; get it?)

But I did enjoy reading Longitude.

:)

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom