Old 11-03-2020, 10:29 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Saratoga Springs
Vessel Name: Tracy’s Landing
Vessel Model: Ranger Tug R25
Do We Need Bottom Paint?

Do we need bottom paint? Can we just wax the bottom? After years of reading this forum and looking for the perfect trade-off cruising boat, my wife and I recently purchased a 2011 Ranger Tug R25. It appears to be a good boat - one owner who has aged out, all fresh water usage, 150 hours. It has never had bottom paint. Do we need it?

It will be on a trailer in our climate controlled large garage when it is not in the water, which will be most of the time. It will be used almost exclusively in fresh water in New York State - Canals, Hudson River, Lake George, etc. However, my wife and I plan to haul it to Florida this Covid winter and travel around in salt water for approximately 2 months. I estimate it will be in the water an average of 2 weeks at a time, then trailer to a new location. We would clean the bottom when we trailer from site to site. I dive so I could wash the bottom in the water weekly if that helps.

We welcome your comments.

In this photo, I have pressure washed the bottom. I could get it cleaner if I applied some elbow grease and a mildly abrasive scrubby pad as shown in the first couple of feet of the bow.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0047.jpg  
DarrenCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 10:40 PM   #2
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
The owner of any boat without anti fouling paint that spends any amount of time in the robust fouling conditions of Florida will come to regret it- guaranteed.
Old 11-03-2020, 11:16 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I think that you may tire of doing all the cleaning, certainly as you get older. Right now it sounds easy to do but after the 10th time it will get old. If you do go with bottom paint you will likely want an ablative paint since it will dry out on the trailer and a lot of hard paints go bad out of the water.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 04:26 AM   #4
Guru

City: NEW PORT RICHEY
Vessel Name: M/V Intrigue
Vessel Model: 1985 Tung Hwa Senator
Stop by a car wash between trips and pressure wash/detail it if needed. IMO you would be fine. Its not as if you wont be able to evaluate it closely each time you put it back on the trailer or as you said just check it out at anchor. If I didn't have to put bottom paint on I certainly wouldn't. Sounds like your boat generally will never be left in the water and when it is it will be on the move much of the time.
Barking Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 05:55 AM   #5
Guru

Given the anticipated amount of time in the water, ablative antifouling should last years, provided you are not aggressive about cleaning /polishing it. I think the bottom is meant to be used and not seen. It is not artwork. Apply a couple of coats of barrier coat / primer then 2 coats of antifouling. A good idea is to paint 2 different colors, so that as the outer coat wears away you see the under layer and know it is time to repaint.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:07 AM   #6

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Shady Grove
Vessel Model: TMC Custom 41 Trawler & S-2 10.3 Sail
You will probably be OK diving on it weekly this time of year but you will probably end up wishing you had painted it.
BigTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:10 AM   #7
Guru

Unless you have really good set of lungs, you should probably get a hooker set up so that you can stay down for more than a minute at time. At you have been up and won several time you will certainly wish you had one.
Chrisjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #8
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
I am surprised there is not any bottom paint on it.
2 coats of ablative bottom paint, 3 coats on the boot top.
After about 3 months in the water, plan on having the bottom cleaned once a month.
Old 11-04-2020, 09:01 AM   #9
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
A week in saltwater will start to foul. It will be tough to see it on the dark hull. You would easily see it on a white hull. No sand primer first then at least one coat of ablative. Dark blue or black ablative paint will work great.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:02 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: KENNEBUNKPORT
Vessel Name: Clairrann
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Put some paint on it! You don't want to be crawling around under that trailer trying to keep it clean. You'll quickly get tired of that PITA activity. Bottom paint is not a bad thing. In fact you might be able to use a non-copper paint and be happy with the results.
Scrib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:04 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I also live & boat in NY and agree with those that recommend painting. Do your research and only put on a paint that can be hauled. & relaunched.
I cleaned a trailer fishing boat hull and it is a pain on a trailer working around bunks / rollers & frame.
Paint you will do once and done for a long time in those conditions vs weekly / monthly cleaning.
Also check what anodes are currently installed and replace w alum if necessary.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 09:55 AM   #12
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
Florida has a year round growing season.
Even in B.C. it does not take long during the growing season for a bottom to be fouled sufficiently to be difficult to clean. Once barnies or mussels get a grip they are NOT just a wash off on an unprotected hull.
Bottom paint will pay for itself with the lack of aggravation.
One the bottom actually is fouled, doing the painting becomes more difficult.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:07 AM   #13
Guru

City: gulf coast
Two months in the barnacle capital of the world wont work without paint. Use the hard stuff as it will help with slime in fresh water.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 10:11 AM   #14
Guru

City: Under a boat, in a marina in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Two months in the barnacle capital of the world wont work without paint. Use the hard stuff as it will help with slime in fresh water.
DO NOT use the "hard stuff" unless you are unconcerned with it being deactivated and ruined when you haul the boat. Boats that are dry-sailed or trailered need ablative paint.
Old 11-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #15
Guru

I use a red bottom paint so I can see which way the boat is floating when I walk to the dock.
Plus, if I turn turtle when out cruising, my boat will be easier to spot that a boat with black bottom paint. SMILE
Old 11-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #16
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I am usualy outside the box.

There is a wax antifouling but I have heard it really doesn't do much and wax tends to accumulate dirt topsides...so underwater I have to wonder.

I might try going without paint for your schedule...winter is a slower growing season even in Florida.

If after the first time or two...if it becomes an issure...then clean well and paint.

There are paint on /no sand/no dewax primers to minimize work after you clean/pressure wash the hull.

So roll the dice...being somewhat lazy...I would try your first impression...there is work but no huge downside if you guess wrong.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:21 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Contact Interlux as to how much Interprotect to use. 2 coats isn’t enough. A lot of yards will tell you 2 coats is enough but not according to the paint manufacturer. The yards tell you 2 coats because they want to do the job quickly and to keep the price down.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
Contact Interlux as to how much Interprotect to use. 2 coats isn’t enough. A lot of yards will tell you 2 coats is enough but not according to the paint manufacturer. The yards tell you 2 coats because they want to do the job quickly and to keep the price down.
The yard I use are not in a rush. Each coat costs me $1000.
LOL IF I asked for 5 coats they would happily charge me $5K
Old 11-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #19
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
The yard I use are not in a rush. Each coat costs me $1000.
LOL IF I asked for 5 coats they would happily charge me $5K
$1000 is a good deal for the first coat, as most of the work is in the preparation. It seems expensive for subsequent coats as it is only about an hours labour for each coat once you are set up.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 12:38 PM   #20
TF Site Team

City: Jacksonville
I’d try it without bottom paint. Parts of Florida are worse than others. Cleaning the hull weekly in the water so you can stay on top of it should work. If you find it’s a loosing battle, get it painted then. We had center console boat in the Bahamas for two seasons and we never painted the bottom. Every couple of weeks we scrubbed the bottom with a scotch pad.
Larry M is online now   Reply With Quote