Do they do that on purpose? replacement parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adornato

Vessel Name
Sarah McLean
Vessel Make
Mainship 30 Pilot
Just had my trim tab switch corrode to death and went to buy a replacement. No longer making that model.. New model has slightly different screw hole pattern and needs a slightly bigger hole in the dashboard.
Do "they" know how difficult it is to drill a new hole 1/8 of an inch next to the old one. Why cant all the replacement new improved models just plug into the old holes and be "plug and play". I dont get it. Is it just lack of consideration or more malevolent than that?. Not my first experience with this recently in replacing a few other items. Thanks for listening. Feeling better already.

I have no idea what your switch assembly looks like, but I would
disassemble the switch housing and replace only the actual switch.
Switch manufacturers tend to keep making the same devices for replacement use.

Last edited:
Just had my trim tab switch corrode to death and went to buy a replacement. No longer making that model.. New model has slightly different screw hole pattern and needs a slightly bigger hole in the dashboard.
Do "they" know how difficult it is to drill a new hole 1/8 of an inch next to the old one. Why cant all the replacement new improved models just plug into the old holes and be "plug and play". I dont get it. Is it just lack of consideration or more malevolent than that?. Not my first experience with this recently in replacing a few other items. Thanks for listening. Feeling better already.

It's not that big of an issue.

Not so difficult if you have a Starrett Oops Arbor to enlarge the hole, if using a hole saw.

Or fasten a temporary backing block behind the hole and insert a dowel into the existing hole and center on that.

One has to be resourceful when doing projects on a boat. Nothing is "Plug and Play".

Attachments

• 610xPlBY6vL._SY679_.jpg
    610xPlBY6vL._SY679_.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
I have the same impression. I had to replace the engine solenoid last summer on our 1996 boat, found the exact same Cole Hersey (sp?) solenoid. Can still find exact replacements for the helm switches, electrical panel breakers, cabinet door catches, vent line caps. Many production boats use a lot of the same parts that are in production for years. Just have to dig.

You can also clamp a piece of plywood over the area and drill a new hole in the plywood and then through the dash. Just make a template of the hole(s) you need and go from there. I took a stereo remote out of the dash and it had a rectangular hole. Was putting in a remote joystick control for the new bow and stern thrusters so I needed a round hole but the center was in the rectangular hole so the pilot bit on the hole saw wouldn’t work. I took a piece of plywood and cut a hole with the hole saw using the pilot bit. Then clamped the plywood to the dash and used it instead of the pilot to guide the hole saw.

Last edited:
adornato wrote;
“Do "they" know how difficult it is to drill a new hole 1/8 of an inch next to the old one. Why cant all the replacement new improved models just plug into the old holes and be "plug and play". I dont get it. Is it just lack of consideration or more malevolent than that?. Not my first experience with this recently in replacing a few other items. Thanks for listening. Feeling better already.[/QUOTE]

“They” will need to do adaptive engineering and/or modify standard parts ect. It all costs money and eats into the bottom line. If “they” bellied up to the bar and did as you wish you may most likely have another brand. That was cheaper.

Last edited:
Try getting a thru hull apart that’s been bedded with 5200 nothing goes right when your underwear is too tight

Some manufacturers do take ease of replacement into consideration when designing next generation product. What brand trim tab control do you have?

:socool:

bennett trim tabs

I think that it would be a marketing advantage to have replacement parts that exactly fit into pre existent mounting holes, brackets etc.
My understanding is that the new Euro style Bennett trim tab switch screw hole pattern is very slight off the old one which is problematic in drilling new holes and covering scars in the fiberglass dashboard. We shall see. I have contacted Bennett by email but havent heard back yet.
I will also try ebay perhaps getting a used one or taking it apart but it sound like a broken piece in the switch.

mea culpa to Bennett Marine

mea culpa for those of you who were not altar boys means my fault.
I bought a Bennett trim tab switch from a supplier, an updated ES2000 to replace the
Bennett LS 2000 in my 2002 Mainship 30. In reading the online data sheets it looked like the screw hole patterns were slightly different and no where in the
Bennett info was there any clue that the new switch which looks different in the online photos actually fits in the old holes in the dashboard.
I emailed Bennett about this and called them and was put on eternal hold..over 30 minutes and gave up. I bought the replacement switch anyway prepared to
drill and modify the dash board to accept the new switch.

Well, mea culpa, excuse me,my fault, the replacement part actually fits in the same hole with the same screw pattern. So thank you Bennett. But next time it would be helpful if you would point us in the right direction for a replacement part when you discontinue an item.

It's called Planned Obsolesce.

Since its your boat , you can do what boat assemblers seldom can do , attempt to use good quality items , rather than lowest cost items.

Any Cole Hersey switch is better than automotive , but even C-H hase higher quality items you could select.

Overkill is a hobby, but Bestitis is a disease.

Since its your boat , you can do what boat assemblers seldom can do , attempt to use good quality items , rather than lowest cost items.

Any Cole Hersey switch is better than automotive , but even C-H hase higher quality items you could select.

Overkill is a hobby, but Bestitis is a disease.

Yup, I always like to shoot for the point where spending more money won't provide a meaningful improvement.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom