Old 06-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #81
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
I use the flat washer in the lid to hook the lid onto the bottom half, I think Magma suggested this in a brochure? If you do this you will need to Slightly unscrew the knob on top of the lid, keep an eye on it so it doesn't unscrew too far and fall off! Use the cable too!

Ah! That's the "hook" I meant, earlier.

I don't remember having to slightly unscrew the knob, but we got it a long time ago...

-Chris

Old 06-08-2017, 07:34 AM   #82
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
OF COURSE! The washer in the lid. I'd forgotten all about that...

Old 06-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #83
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Chief View Post
We use this set up. First we installed a Scotty side mount on the Port aft section of our Selene. Had to use a piece of 3/4 inch starboard as a spacer to clear the cap rail. Then I picked up a 90 degree Scotty mount that goes on to the side mount with big wing bolts, they came with the kit. Picked up the fish cleaning board off of eBay. A guy down in Florida makes them in all sizes, we wanted a big one that would support the Weber gas grill, tools, platters and be easy to clean. Oh ya, it also is a great fish cleaning station.
Remove the two wing bolts, and the cleaning station comes right off and we can put the Scotty down rigger on.
During the winter we remove it all for the Canvas to cover everything.

By the way, the Weber grill is the only way to go. My experience with Magma's or any other Stainless grill for that matter have not been pleasant. This is the grill we had on the Coach before we got the boat. Its now 7 years old. Once or twice a year I remove from the boat while the power washer is out and spray the daylights out of it.

And on this trip, Tom on ASD is so impressed that they are searching for one themselves.
Me too. Weber is the only way to go.

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:30 AM   #84
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Our Weber the the results
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151001_Dauntless and me IMG_6759.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	65575   Click image for larger version

Name:	20161225_183716.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	65576  

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #85
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. Wx. Aw Jeez! Exactly what I DON'T need-lucious food pictures. NOW I gotta go and make some breakfast...

Old 06-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #86
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Good to see recent photo of you Richard. And.... yummy things to boot [errrr boat!!]!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 11:40 AM   #87
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star0210 View Post
Do they drip onto the deck?
We have one but haven't used it yet.

Was just thinking about how our big grill at home has a big drip tray under it.
See pix on this forum of the Weber 1200 I have on my rail. It has a drip tray and disposalable liners for same. I am a fan and have never had a mess that was not my fault. Far superior to any "Marine-Boating" grill I have seen. I live in a Marina, have seen a lot of grills. Here is a big deal, THEY COOK GOOD, unlike many of the shiney marine grills I have experienced, some cost hundreds more.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:05 PM   #88

City: Lafayette, LA
Vessel Name: presently boatless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mule View Post
See pix on this forum of the Weber 1200 I have on my rail. It has a drip tray and disposalable liners for same. I am a fan and have never had a mess that was not my fault. Far superior to any "Marine-Boating" grill I have seen. I live in a Marina, have seen a lot of grills. Here is a big deal, THEY COOK GOOD, unlike many of the shiney marine grills I have experienced, some cost hundreds more.
I use one of these at home. I agree, they do cook very well. I'm thinking on placing it on our boat. Do you use a 6 gallon tank or the smaller screw in cartridges? Thanks....
ragin cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 01:16 PM   #89
Guru

I use a tank
Old 05-09-2018, 08:21 AM   #90
Veteran Member

City: Navarre
Ok, new to the boats and about to leave the shoreline behind....working on this project with a buddy who has a fabrication business.....looks like this....I am going to use the Sam's club knock off mini Kamado grill instead of the Green Egg one.....the main support will clamp to existing rails somehow...have not figured it out yet. I need/want the ability to smoke/bbq with charcoal. Thoughts?

Navarre Fl
Fajah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 08:47 AM   #91
Guru

City: Anacortes
I have a mini that Iíve smoked shoulder and seared rib steaks on, but typically off the boat on a picnic table. The things you need to deal with. First, they get seriously hot on the bottom. Donít set them on gel coat. I had a thick stone tile with me and it was still borderline. Second is that they are heavy, even the mini. I had not thought about a rail mount because of the weight, but maybe you will make it work.

I will say this. They work wonderfully. My mini came home one winter as I donít like it away from me where it can be easily stolen. I cook on it as much at home as my large egg. I like having more than one ready and at hand! Has not been back to the boat for some time.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:03 AM   #92
Veteran Member

City: Navarre
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
I have a mini that Iíve smoked shoulder and seared rib steaks on, but typically off the boat on a picnic table. The things you need to deal with. First, they get seriously hot on the bottom. Donít set them on gel coat. I had a thick stone tile with me and it was still borderline. Second is that they are heavy, even the mini. I had not thought about a rail mount because of the weight, but maybe you will make it work.

I will say this. They work wonderfully. My mini came home one winter as I donít like it away from me where it can be easily stolen. I cook on it as much at home as my large egg. I like having more than one ready and at hand! Has not been back to the boat for some time.

Here is the knock off from Sams Club
It has a stand of sorts, but my plan is to support the weight with a main rod and have it lashed to railings for upright support....will let you all know when I am done...I want it to be easily removable also.
Navarre Fl
Fajah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:43 AM   #93
Guru

City: Whitby, Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by fryedaze View Post
We have a Magma Kettle grill pole mounted over the swim platform. I rotate it over the side as much as possible. It makes a mess cooking burgers. Grease splatter hits the deck and swim platform. It has a catch tray with no way to drain it except tilting it into the water. If you do dump it by tilting, the wind better be blowing away from the boat. We don't need the larger models but they may be cleaner.
We drilled two 1/8" holes in our drip tray and use wire to hang a soup can under them, no problem.

We also cut down a 15" pizza stone to fit our 13" Magma and lay that on the grill. Great pizza and the juiciest meat ever as it cooks in it's own juice, no flare ups and very little grease ever goes in to the soup can
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PIZZA FINAL.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	76123   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2914.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	76124   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2979.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	76125  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:01 AM   #94
Guru

Go back to post 57. That is the best setup I have found. The Weber 1200 U Bolted on a fish cleaning table is as good as it gets. It holds heat and does not glow red like a Magma. Magmas are known to jump off their mounts, Chase you around the deck just to burn you to the bone. Or just brush up against it.
The Weber only weighs 35lb and should be hung outside the rail. They have a disposable drip pan, very clean. The EGG has got to be heavy + the aggravation of charcoal ash.
Check with Marine Liquidators for $60-70 leveling fish cleaning table that plugs into rod holder. Griddle accessory option available for Weber. I have had multiple grills over the years. Weber 1200 for a boat is the best from my experience. Just not shiny and yachtie looking but it sure cooks good. The black blob on my boat pic to left is my covered Weber.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:09 PM   #95

City: Chesapeake Bay,Middle River,Md.
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
Quote:
Go back to post 57. That is the best setup I have found. The Weber 1200 U Bolted on a fish cleaning table is as good as it gets. It holds heat and does not glow red like a Magma. Magmas are known to jump off their mounts, Chase you around the deck just to burn you to the bone. Or just brush up against it.
The Weber only weighs 35lb and should be hung outside the rail. They have a disposable drip pan, very clean. The EGG has got to be heavy + the aggravation of charcoal ash.
Check with Marine Liquidators for $60-70 leveling fish cleaning table that plugs into rod holder. Griddle accessory option available for Weber. I have had multiple grills over the years. Weber 1200 for a boat is the best from my experience. Just not shiny and yachtie looking but it sure cooks good. The black blob on my boat pic to left is my covered Weber.
Weber Q's have always been my grill of choice for all the reasons mentioned. We have been struggling to mount, until now. Thanks for the mounting info.
David Kimmel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 02:36 PM   #96
Guru

City: Palm Coast
Vessel Name: Southerly
Vessel Model: 1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Totally love mine! I use it often, no mess!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DD560C26-7F21-4E70-8477-74B6E5CFB9E4.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	76134  
Donna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:50 PM   #97
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
It holds heat and does not glow red like a Magma. Magmas are known to jump off their mounts, Chase you around the deck just to burn you to the bone. Or just brush up against it.

Check with Marine Liquidators for $60-70 leveling fish cleaning table that plugs into rod holder.

Have to admit, our old Magma has never turned red, jumped off it's mounts, nor chased me around the deck...

FWIW, Magma sells fish-cleaning tables that fit in rod holders. In fact, just the rod-holder adjustable mounts, if you like; I screwed one onto a teak tray so one of our Happy Hour tables looks less like a fish-cleaning table.

-Chris
Old 05-09-2018, 09:07 PM   #98
Guru

City: Bellevue, WA
Vessel Name: Fiddler
Vessel Model: DeFever 46

Name:	IMG_1525917959.964561.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	126.2 KB
ID:	76138

I havenít noticed any mess. The tray catches anything that falls off and doesnít burn.
drb1025 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #99
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Don't have photo. Should take one. Our Magma has been rail mounted for 9 years. Never had any trouble nor drips off the catch pan. I do use lightweight, disposable, vented/fluted metal inserts when grilling sloppy food. Great for grilling vegies too.

Just fire her up. Place on low medium or high flame; depending on food type and heat need. Close the lid. Survey food at time spans. Serve. Eat. YUMMMMMY!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #100
Guru

Our circular Magma Grill is on a cantilever arm,which puts it over water or over the swim step. One or 2 nervous moments with food rolling on the grid,but no mess on the boat.
All it needs now is a new ss plate over the burner(stamped out of thin ss flat plate),a mere $75,replacing the badly rusted original.

BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote