Do I Really Need Stern Thusters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
With twins you don't need either bow or stern thrusters. Learn how to move your boat sideways with the engines and rudders set properly and save the expense and maintenance.

Not all vessels will truly move sideways, but most csn be wiggled into place if ome is good enough.... appearing to nearly move sideways

Our last boat wouldn’t walk no matter what I tried. But it had a big keel on it.

Not all vessels will truly move sideways, but most csn be wiggled into place if ome is good enough.... appearing to nearly move sideways
I'd say very few will move sideways. Fairly easy to get a twin boat to slide sideways, but that requires redirecting forward momentum with jusdiscious use of prop walk.

I don't know why this is such a contentious subject. Used, many of these boats are $200k up. Thruster is around $10k and it easily makes the boat more usable and enjoyable for many/most owners who have day-jobs.

I'm guessing that if a forum like this were around for cars 40+ years ago, there'd be geezers naysaying power brakes, power steering, automatic transmission, etc.

Peter

Exactly Peter! As PS says, thrusters aren't needed if you are "good enough". I'm tired of debating the point. Thrusters are great. So are many other modern conveniences. But for those who want to believe it's a crutch, so be it. Doesn't affect my boating.

Exactly Peter! As PS says, thrusters aren't needed if you are "good enough". I'm tired of debating the point. Thrusters are great. So are many other modern conveniences. But for those who want to believe it's a crutch, so be it. Doesn't affect my boating.

I was talking about moving boats sideways with twins....no reference to thrusters. But as others have posted too, it applies to thrusters.

Never said thrusters weren't a convenience. If you want them have at it. I could care less.

Just dont stretch it much further than they are a convenience or the debate may continue....I never tire of keeping things on track.

Last edited:
Get a Bow Thruster.

I had never had a motoryacht before we bought our GB32. Having pulled in and out of slips and sidled up to fuel docks for years with sailboats, it was like arriving in heaven when I first hit the joystick on our new old boat! Get a good stern thruster with plenty of power for the boat. Ours is a Vetus and it really pushes the bow around. One HP is equal to 750 watts, so a 3500 watt thruster is equal to having a little 5 hp outboard clipped onto your stem. An underpowered thruster burns out quickly if used much. They are usually wired directly to a large battery, so be sure the installation includes a switch in the positive feed to shut it down in case it gets stuck in the on position.

As a newbie, I ask all sorts of stupid questions around the marina. Stern thrusters were one of the questions. The answers followed the direction of this thread.

If a boat has a stern thruster, the owners like the equipment. If the boat doesn't have a stern thruster, then they are a waste money for those who are not skilled at boating. BTW those with and those without seem, to me, to have the amount of experience.

Much like a lot of boating equipment, if you spend the money for it, what a great addition it makes to your boat.

Mike

<My vessel is single screw with a bow and stern thruster. The bow thruster in nice; the stern thruster is essential. The stern thruster does a much better job of setting the prop for motion.

That's boating, lots of different opinions.

My guess is....because of so many points of view..... and so many different boats.....and so many different conditions encountered ....and vastly different amounts of experience/desire.... and etc...etc....

I have electric bow and stern thrusters. Glad to have both. My slip has a lot of current going at an angle away from the finger thru it unless at slack. Stern in is my usual parking. Having the stern thruster is essential for me to single hand docking.
From personal experience, don’t let the thruster batteries deteriorate. If you are not getting the oomph that you expected, replace them. Hard on the contactor otherwise.
Others have mentioned using stern thruster to steer in reverse on exiting a narrow fairway or getting off of a fuel dock pinned by wind or current. I too have found useful in those conditions
If you are taking a vote, I say install a stern thruster. Cheap insurance for what might be the rare time you really need it

I have electric bow and stern thrusters. Glad to have both. My slip has a lot of current going at an angle away from the finger thru it unless at slack. Stern in is my usual parking. Having the stern thruster is essential for me to single hand docking.
From personal experience, don’t let the thruster batteries deteriorate. If you are not getting the oomph that you expected, replace them. Hard on the contactor otherwise.
Others have mentioned using stern thruster to steer in reverse on exiting a narrow fairway or getting off of a fuel dock pinned by wind or current. I too have found useful in those conditions
If you are taking a vote, I say install a stern thruster. Cheap insurance for what might be the rare time you really need it

Agreed, but not needed if you're careful and have alternative ways

If you think you need one,then you probably do. Someone will say "I`m so glad I don`t have thrusters", but it won`t be me.

The joys of being a full time cruiser
We don't use marinas - profit
We don't need stern or bow thruster as we don't use marinas - even more profit.

Lots of opinions, all of them valid. Bumpkin has a pretty good summary. I'm in the same boat (pun intended) as DW. Single screw with no prop walk and have to deal with a narrow channel and strong river currents at my home slip. I'm not saying it would be absolutely impossible to come an go during peak tidal currents, but the thrusters make is a pretty easy manuever rather than lots of forward and reverse as you get pushed towards other boats. Even with both thrusters, it can still be tricky at times. There are conditions where thrusters are more than a convenience and pretty much a necessity. Not everyone has to deal with these conditions regularly (e.g. Simi).

Docking in currents is like reading a green for a putt.

Some are better at it than others. :D

Docking in currents is like reading a green for a putt.

Some are better at it than others. :D

Although that may be true, you can practice putting your whole life and try numerous techniques and never become Tiger Woods.

Like I said, it's not impossible to fight currents w/o thrusters. You can spend many minutes jockying around with fwd and rev while trying not to get pushed into other docked boats, or use a couple timely bursts from the trusters and come and go with no issues or stress. I'll take the latter thank you.

BTW, there are commercial ferries nearby that run all day long with liberal, and I'd say necessary, use of thrusters, but I guess those capts. are just not experienced enough.

In our previous boat we have 2 engines 2x170hp and do most of the handeling with it. the boat was 38ft had a bow and stern truster, i used them only with close space docking (3feet in front an after is on the channels no exception in our waters.

Whith or current 60ft i have twin engines 2x450hp and a longkeel this boat is hard to dock, the engines are to heavy for easy handling/docking i have a bow electric truster but with the long keel it hardly has effect. i would like to add a hydraulic front and bow truster it would be a great help

so do you need a bow/stern trusters, first it depend on the type of your boat, your handling skils and the waters where yhouo want to dock

Best regards,
Patrick

Last edited:
Totally agree with the experience shared in post #54. One of things that surprised me was how different and more difficult close quarters handling it is in power than sail.
Not mentioned is few sailboats have flat sides. Power commonly tapers at the bow but not midship on aft. Add in a dinghy on a Freedom lift and/or swim platform and /or dinghy on the platform and/ or dinghy on davits and you can’t pivot off the stern without hurting something. With sail using just main engine and a spring will allow you to pivot with a thoughtfully placed fender from just about any situation. Not true for me now with a Rigid on. Freedom lift. I have to kick out the stern with the stern thruster first. Was getting fuel and pump out . $3m boat in front. Go fast with 3 outboards pulled in close behind. Wind pinned me to dock. Tried first to pivot off forward spring. No joy. Tapped stern thruster repetitively. Then a little bow. Prop walk was the wrong way for the main. Got off clean. With the sailboat (which was larger) would pivot off forward spring and then simply backed out. Wind would have helped as in a crosswind the bow blows off a lot faster than the stern. In the current boat that doesn’t work. Needed to go forward to get off.
May be with time this old dog will learn new tricks but for now the stern thruster is a joy.

I considered a stern thruster as we sure as hell weren't getting a bucket sized hole chopped through her hull planking
There's lots of different ways to install stern thrusters, some require nothing more than mounting bolts and wiring. There have been some that used much larger holes. But today there are more options.

On our last boat I put a stern thruster in. It took an 8” hole. Not a big deal, just measure accurately and then cut. On this boat the stern thruster took 4 mounting holes above the waterline and 2 holes also above the waterline for the power cables.

Wow lots of good discussions. The reason I posted it.

I have many years on twin screws. I see thrusters as a tool in the toolbox.

It also makes it easier for the Admiral getting off the boat.

Wow lots of good discussions. The reason I posted it.

I have many years on twin screws. I see thrusters as a tool in the toolbox.

It also makes it easier for the Admiral getting off the boat.

Yes, my wife isn’t the steadiest person out there and the thrusters help when we are docking. Not having to rush about is much safer. She fell about 5 years ago, 5 surgeries and 3 years later she is better but I don’t want her falling again in a hurry to handle dock lines. Thrusters are worth every penny.

Stern thrusters

We have both stern and bow thrusters on our 44’ DeFever. Other than the obvious help in maneuvering, the addition of the stern thruster allows other features. The hold feature is great. Really helps when single handed or with inexperienced crew. It will hold the boat against the dock and adjust thrust in 10% increments.

Do you absolutely need one, no. However, you will enjoy the added maneuvering help. And the hold feature is great.

Safe Travels.

There's lots of different ways to install stern thrusters, some require nothing more than mounting bolts and wiring. There have been some that used much larger holes. But today there are more options.

Yep, it's why we considered stern.
The bucket sized hole was for bow thruster

Never had thrusters but see a possible advantage w stern thrusters. No prop walk if over time you found out at what rpm in your single screw boat the stern thruster neutralized the prop walk and allowed backing straight. One would need to do it at one speed and it would take time and experience to balance the rpm of the engine backing and the thruster propeller speed to back straight. Would be great to be able to back straight 30’ .. or 100’ straight back.

Has anyone tried this?

Never had thrusters but see a possible advantage w stern thrusters. No prop walk if over time you found out at what rpm in your single screw boat the stern thruster neutralized the prop walk and allowed backing straight. One would need to do it at one speed and it would take time and experience to balance the rpm of the engine backing and the thruster propeller speed to back straight. Would be great to be able to back straight 30’ .. or 100’ straight back.

Has anyone tried this?
Haven’t done what you said but have given an occasional very brief jolt of thruster to keep me straight backing up.
Getting use to two things. In the prior sailboat if you gently added rpm and kept rpm real low you got negligible walk. Current boat has choice of either idle at 600 rpm or 900 rpm. Even at 600rpm there’s a lot of walk. So backing up oversteer a bit but also an occasional brief jolt of thruster. Have found if in open spaces moving along it’s easier to steer with the bow thruster. But in tight spaces going real slow the stern one is the go to. I have non proportional electric side power so no control of thruster rpm. So limited to bursts. See proportional as a big step up.

Single engine on a twin really benefits from a thruster.

Had to back a 55 foot Viking motorhome a long way with turns out of a marina with tight fairways.

Using bow thruster and rudder to offset the prop walk and asymetrical thrust, I was able to stay near down the middle of the fairways, negotiate turns and clear the marina with maybe only one bead of sweat.

Backing a single with significant prop walk but with a decent bow or stern thruster should make it relatively easy for even beginners with either quick learning skills or a bit of instruction.

Has anyone tried this?

It’s an interesting thought but in my mind you can also do that with a bow thruster too … you’re just pushing on one end or the other of a pivot.

You don’t need a proportional thruster to do that. Just an occasional tap or so on a non proportional thruster.

All in just my opinion. What do I know though as I have a twin!

Last edited:
Years ago I watched as a 120ft boat wormed his way into the inside moorage at the RVYC Secret Cove outstation. Most guys over 50 ft would never try it. This boat has water jet thrusters on both sides at the bow, stern and midships. Like having an articulated boat. I have never seen another boat with jet thrusters. Why did they not catch on?

The title of this thread is

Do I Really Need Stern Thusters

Very interesting read on Thrusters. Now since that discussion is pretty much covered I thought everyone should know what a Thuster really is.

From the urban dictionary :popcorn:

Thuster
A very large fish that is bigger than anyone else’s
Check out this thuster I just caught.

Back
Top Bottom