Do I Really Need Stern Thusters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I found that by using the bow thruster given the pivot point of the boat it moves the stern on the opposite direction; the sterns thruster as well is useful if you want the whole boat to move sideways at the same time.

Anyone else same experience?

Yes, having both will let you walk the boat sideways to some extent. But also using both in opposite directions lets you pivot the boat quickly in a short distance if you need to when docking.

Yes, having both will let you walk the boat sideways to some extent. But also using both in opposite directions lets you pivot the boat quickly in a short distance if you need to when docking.

I use my twins for that. No need for thrusters. I can spin in place. But for singles I can see that.

My point/question above is that I can move the stern with the bow thruster too in opposite direction. With both thrusters I can move sideways more easily though.

Hydraulic over electric. Proportional thrust versus binary on/off switched thtust. Either/both can add expense to the install so it's a tradeoff.

Thrusters do require maintenance. Not just zincs, but not unusual for a mullosk shell to get wedged and break a blade.

Do you need a stern thruster? Probably not, but all docking situations are different. Will you like it once installed? Unquestionably yes. I'd be stunned if you said to yourself "sheesh, that was a mistake. I'll uninstall it at next haul.".

The most expensive boat to own is one that doesn't get used. If having a stern thruster will let you use your boat more and/or make the use more enjoyable and stress free, it's a good investment.

Finally, if you have a mate who is intimidated by docking, s/he may be more comfortable driving the boat if it has full bow/stern thruster. Docking is a lot of fun and a sense of pride when done well. Sharing that sense of accplishment with your mate is a good thing

Good luck.

Peter

Thank you Peter

I use my twins for that. No need for thrusters. I can spin in place. But for singles I can see that.

My point/question above is that I can move the stern with the bow thruster too in opposite direction. With both thrusters I can move sideways more easily though.

My thought was with twin screws, a stern thruster was not needed.

Also electric is full on when hydraulic is variable? Correct?

Thank you Peter

My thought was with twin screws, a stern thruster was not needed.

Also electric is full on when hydraulic is variable? Correct?

No, you can get proportional electric ones as well. They are a more expensive add on.

However, I imagine most of us don’t have proportional and use thrusters full on then off and not proportionally. I understand proportionally is useful for holding against a dock by setting it a hold position with a given thrust but you can do that by small blasts on the on/off ones, if that makes sense. I don’t think I would spend extra for proportional.

Hydraulic allow you to run continuously while the electric ones will shut down for overheating at some point. And they can be more powerful. I would want them on the east coast on 65’ plus boats where strong wind is more of an issue.

No, you can get proportional electric ones as well. They are a more expensive add on.

However, I imagine most of us don’t have proportional and use thrusters full on then off and not proportionally. I understand proportionally is useful for holding against a dock by setting it a hold position with a given thrust but you can do that by small blasts on the on/off ones, if that makes sense. I don’t think I would spend extra for proportional.

Hydraulic allow you to run continuously while the electric ones will shut down for overheating at some point. And they can be more powerful. I would want them on the east coast on 65’ plus boats where strong wind is more of an issue.

I wouldn't bother with proportional unless I was buying them new today I probably would. They are quieter at less than full power. Also, they can hold you against a dock while you jump off to secure a line. Can't do that as easily if you are single-handed.

I have a Dickson Hydraulic Stern thruster on my little 31 foot Senator. Its a single Perkins 6.354 boat so it does come in handy. Seems to be very very reliable. I have used it in a variable fashion once or twice trying to fight a current. Engaged the thruster with engine in neutral and then increased engine RPM directly raised hyd thruster RPM as well. Can be left on if needed. But most of the time the engine is at close maneuvering RPM just above idle..maybe 800-875 rpm. Thats plenty to get some great thrust out of it. Especially for this little boat.

I considered a stern thruster as we sure as hell weren't getting a bucket sized hole chopped through her hull planking

But, figured she hadn't had any thrusters in her life yet so obviously it was me who needed to lift my game.

I'll say it again. Some members here look at thrusters as a crutch and something you shouldn't need if you are an experienced captain. OK, I get it. But what about other things like navigation? Would you consider adding a GPS to boat that doesn't have it, or rather that you need to step up your navigational skills so you don't need one?

I hope you realize the actual diffetence in GPS to nav versus a thruster to maneuvering.

I'll say it again. Some members here look at thrusters as a crutch and something you shouldn't need if you are an experienced captain. OK, I get it. But what about other things like navigation? Would you consider adding a GPS to boat that doesn't have it, or rather that you need to step up your navigational skills so you don't need one?

Maybe not the best analogy
A GPS is $15 and already included in most phones and tablets.
A bit different me thinks.

Top of the line radar may be a better one.
Nice to have but can live without.

Last edited:

Thrusters aren't necessarily a crutch. But plenty of people use them as one and rely on them way too much (such as steering the boat with thrusters in a marina). Others learn proper boat handling and just use the thrusters as an aid to do things that can't easily be done in other ways or to save a situation in wind, etc.

Tom,

You cruised with us and you Allready know the answer.

Best bet is……Cruise with a buddy like us that had both bow and stern thrusters. Just let them dock first, then they can help you get yours to the dock. Worked extremely well in the past, why reinvent the wheel!

Plus, look at all the cigars and scotch you can stock up on instead of the expense of thrusters!

Cheers Buddy,

Maybe not the best example, I agree, but the point is that there wasn't always gps but there was a way to navigate. Use any tool available to make your boating easier and more enjoyable.

Tom,

You cruised with us and you Allready know the answer.

Best bet is……Cruise with a buddy like us that had both bow and stern thrusters. Just let them dock first, then they can help you get yours to the dock. Worked extremely well in the past, why reinvent the wheel!

Plus, look at all the cigars and scotch you can stock up on instead of the expense of thrusters!

Cheers Buddy,
Oh you are so cruel my friend, just cruel....

Maybe not the best example, I agree, but the point is that there wasn't always gps but there was a way to navigate. Use any tool available to make your boating easier and more enjoyable.

If you're paying, sure ;)
Throw in a gyro stabiliser and upgraded electrics while your at it

Point being, cost vs benifits pulls many of us up

I hope you realize the actual diffetence in GPS to nav versus a thruster to maneuvering.
"Real" mariners navigated by sextant and did very well without the "new fangled" technology. I have met owners that thought of themselves as experienced boaters / navigators having used their GPS / MFD chart plotters that had no clue what the difference was between True & Magnetic North when following / communicating headings / COG

How about twins vs thrusters?
Many consider twins "real handling" but thruster as " cheating"
Some even have the attitude that thrusters are an unnecessary maintenance item but ignore the initial cost and addnl maint of twins.
My feeling is do what ever adds maneuverability and enjoyment to your boating and ignore or just laugh off the naysayers.
I added wireless remote for my B&S thrusters and use it in certain situations... love tobsee the look on some observers face!

Thrusters

I install thrusters and my recommendation is to go for an electric bow thruster as it is much cheaper then a hydraulic system. Sidepower makes a nice proportional DC thruster that works just like hydraulic and provides plenty of power. Check with your local sidepower dealer for cost.

To break off the other post regarding cost of stern thrusters, a few side questions.

I do not have thrusters. I have twin engines. Thinking of installing bow thusthruster.

1. Do I need Stern thrusters with twin screws?

2. Hydraulic or Electric?

With twins you don't need either bow or stern thrusters. Learn how to move your boat sideways with the engines and rudders set properly and save the expense and maintenance.

Sailboats generally have larger rudders that will move the stern when in reverse. My boat has a comparatively small rudder and the prop is in a tunnel and there is no prop walk. Trying to dock stern-in against a strong current would be next to impossible without a bow thruster at least. Stern thruster helps too, but I could manage w/o it.

There are many modern conveniences on boats that make it easier and more enjoyable. Many of them are not absolutely necessary to go boating, but why not use them if you want to? You can navigate w/o a gps, but few do.

Sailboats also have a keel which the boat tends to rotate around. Sailboat handling is very different from powerboat handling. I have just gotten into trawlers after 40 years sailing and there is a decided difference. Also trawlers have more windage which complicates things. The biggest thing is is that SB tend to be heavier for comparative size and are designed to flow through the water and they reduce drag by utilizing small props which means that they don't stop so well. I think SB are more responsive to rudder input where PB are more responsive to propeller action. It may just be my experience but I think sailboat handling is easier. I have also sailed on many sailboats with bow thrusters, though I have never seen one with a stern thruster.

I owned a sailboat before buying a twin engine trawler. I used Prop walk on my sail boat as a stern thruster. Very effective. I’m now into the second year of docking my trawler. Finally getting the hang how to use differential power for that process. Very different technique with little keel and small rudders

To break off the other post regarding cost of stern thrusters, a few side questions.

I do not have thrusters. I have twin engines. Thinking of installing bow thusthruster.

1. Do I need Stern thrusters with twin screws?

2. Hydraulic or Electric?
I’f under 60’ LOA, you (alone) are absolutely fine without thrusters altogether. Conqueror your fear with practice.

Yes, for me.

Both my wife and I are enjoying owning our first larger boat in the later years of our life. She could never help me dock or handle lines. I always single hand dockage by setting Side Power on a variable setting as I get off the boat to secure lines or cast off. It is a absolute necessity for me. Makes me look good too.
Owen

Bow Thruster needed, stern thruster no -especially with twin screws.

Never heard of someone that had a thruster or 2 and never use them.

Never heard of someone that had a thruster or 2 and never use them.

I always said you didn’t need them until I put a stern thruster on our last boat. Did I have to have it, no. But it was great to have. Now we have bow and stern thrusters on our current boat and love them. My wife will not go up onto the bow of our current boat, nothing to hold onto, so the thrusters become much more necessary. But once you have them you will love them. And as we get older they are even more helpful.

Back
Top Bottom