Do I Need It Now???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Ok.. I bought My Lady 5 years ago, sandblasted the bottom, barrier coat and paint. Hard times 3 years ago limited funds. Boat needs bottom paint. I have an opportunity to take her to the Bahamas in two weeks for a month. Yard wants $4000 for paint job. Why would I be sorry if I just had it cleaned and then painted when I get back?? For that matter why do I need to keep paint on it at all? Just clean it regularly...
Thanks for your input.. Bob in Boot Key Harbor

Ok.. I bought My Lady 5 years ago, sandblasted the bottom, barrier coat and paint. Hard times 3 years ago limited funds. Boat needs bottom paint. I have an opportunity to take her to the Bahamas in two weeks for a month. Yard wants $4000 for paint job. Why would I be sorry if I just had it cleaned and then painted when I get back?? For that matter why do I need to keep paint on it at all? Just clean it regularly...
Thanks for your input.. Bob in Boot Key Harbor

"Why would I be sorry if I just had it cleaned and then painted when I get back?? "
Depending upon how depleted the paint is now a lot of growth can occur in more than a month impeding speed, efficiency and sometimes blocking water intakes.

"For that matter why do I need to keep paint on it at all? Just clean it regularly... "
Again dependent upon just how poor the paint is and where the boat is typically berthed you could clean it regularly. In many cases the number of cleanings needed , amount of time to do each cleaning and the damage that the numerous eventual cleanings exert on the hull will cost more that the paint. where you are in this cycle cannot likely be determined on the internet.

If you pay for a haul and block for a couple of days, they should include a powerwash in the slings at the haul. You shouldn't need to sandblast or barrier coat. Get down to clean paint and slap a new coat on. Unless health and mobility is an issue, you should be able to do this yourself for the cost of rollers, brushes, and paint.

My experience in Miami was that with a top of the line dual biocide paint and Prop Speed I could go a year without cleaning. I could get a second year with cleaning about six times during that year. Your mileage may vary.

I had a diver who kept an eye on my boat. When it needed cleaning, he just did it and sent me a bill.

If you pay for a haul and block for a couple of days, they should include a powerwash in the slings at the haul. You shouldn't need to sandblast or barrier coat. Get down to clean paint and slap a new coat on. Unless health and mobility is an issue, you should be able to do this yourself for the cost of rollers, brushes, and paint.

Hello Shrew - can he paint his own boat where he is located? Not sure about that area, around here most places will not let you pant your own boat as it is a pesticide in the eyes of the local towns.

My experience in Miami was that with a top of the line dual biocide paint and Prop Speed I could go a year without cleaning. I could get a second year with cleaning about six times during that year. Your mileage may vary.

I had a diver who kept an eye on my boat. When it needed cleaning, he just did it and sent me a bill.
Thanks hop..

Thanks! Think I'll go for haul and block, assess things and go from there. I need to remove whats left of my swimstep from Irma, plus put in a new transducer.

You might be able to get a paint job at a more reasonable price in the Bahamas while you are there. Maybe someone here can recommend?

Donna just got painted over there, wait to see if she comments or PM her.....

Don't know when the bottom was cleaned (diver scrubbed) last. I would see if you could get it cleaned just before you go. Might also check to see what services are available where you will be in the Bahamas.

If funds are limited, I would want to have the reserves available until you get back. I'm personally very big on preventive maintenance, but don't like to get jammed up just before a big trip. Clean the bottom (diver), check zincs (replace if close), and schedule bottom work as needed when you return.

Ted

Hello Shrew - can he paint his own boat where he is located? Not sure about that area, around here most places will not let you pant your own boat as it is a pesticide in the eyes of the local towns.
They won't let me paint it here in Marathon..

You might be able to get a paint job at a more reasonable price in the Bahamas while you are there. Maybe someone here can recommend?
I though about that.. Probably heading to the Exumas...

That's my plan. I had it cleaned a month ago and zincs were all up to snuff..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom