Old 06-19-2020, 06:28 PM   #1
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Do boat owners ever fall off their boats?

I've gone overboard twice. First from my sailboat in Suisun Slough with a gentle breeze from astern. Meanwhile was on the cabin top leaning over when a wind shift cause the mainsail to jibe, with enough energy for the boom to push me overboard. The other time was when exiting the dinghy at shore, losing balance to fall butt-first into a few inches of water.

Surely, I am not the only one.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:37 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I have gone over once, and with my dog no less. I had taken her to shore to do her thing, and afterwards brought the dinghy up to the stern to get off. That boat didn't have a swim platform, just a boarding ladder in the back. Half way up with our 35 lb dog in hand we went over. My wife who was on board at the time screamed at me to save the dog. Well I did but she really didn't need saving.

So count me as one for this thread and one for the other one (well 2 or 3 more actually but from the dock not the boat).

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:10 PM   #3
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
In the navy, my destroyer picked up the same skinny guy 3 times after being blown off a carrier flight deck by jet blast. He later traded jobs with one of our guys.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Not sure if this counts as falling off, but here goes.

After a week of fishing guiding, my customers paid me with a check and I dropped them off at a marina near their condo. I put the check ($4,500) in my shirt pocket then ran to the "boat ramp" where I launch my flats boat. This ramp is really just a flatish beach and the water there is super muddy, you can only see down into for a few inches. There are a couple of deep holes right against the beach where boat motors have blown the sand out powering on and off of their trailers but other than that the water is less than knee deep next to the beach.

I was pretty tired and didn't pay super close attention as I beached the boat. I stepped off the bow of the boat into what I thought was 5 or 6 inches of water. Turns out I stepped directly into the deep hole. It was neck deep. Ruined the check in my pocket along with my cell phone and the clicker for my truck doors.

Not my best moment.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 07:39 PM   #5
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
I was waxing the hull in my slip. Used my dinghy oars to fit beneath the bull rails onto which I placed a 2x10 board which I lay on. It worked untill one oar broke and down I went. Didn't lose anything except my pride.
Next time I used 2 x10 for all of it .
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 08:06 PM   #6
Guru

City: Trenton
Yes.
alormaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:02 PM   #7
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
I “helped“ a neighbor fall in once, he had slipped Overboard headfirst, but his belt caught so he was hanging upside down off the boat.
I cut the belt and down he went!
Old 06-19-2020, 09:08 PM   #8

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
Had a fight with a kayak once and lost....
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:12 PM   #9
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
Yes, well not actually. was trying to get ON the boat - lifted a box (new vhf radio) onto the side deck and as I was stepping on, a fellow boater called to me and I, like an idiot, looked over to him - as I was continuing to step. Wind, and some current were combining to make a fool out of me. Boat had moved a foot or two in the slip - and down I went. Fortunately only hit the water and nothing else. I was making my way back to the swim platform when 'friend who had called' came and pulled me out.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:54 PM   #10
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
I once was stepping from the dock down into the dinghy which was tied to the stern of my boat. My toe hooked on a dock line which caused my upper body to pitch forward. I went into the little "V-shaped" opening between the end of the swim platform, the bow of the dinghy and the dock.

My wife saw me go headfirst into the water and disappear. I came up beneath the boat in the next slip. As soon as I saw the hull of the boat I knew where I was because of an odd color bottom paint. As I felt my way to the edge of the boat and rose to the surface I could hear her screaming. She hadn't seen me go under the dock and under the boat next to us and thought I'd drowned.

Took me awhile to live that one down.
Old 06-19-2020, 09:55 PM   #11
STB
Guru

City: Gulf coast
I fell in once. I don't remember exactly how I did it, but, after inflating a brand new dinghy on the finger pier I was trying do do something with it before walking it to the stern. While putting it in, I became concerned it was going to catch nails on the dock and got distracted. I followed it in, swam it to the stern, tied it up, and hoisted it up.
STB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 09:58 PM   #12
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
ok, up to 11 that have gone into the drink. Might a beer or two be involved?? Actually in my case it may have been a G&T.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 11:23 PM   #13
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Cant remember all the times I have fallen or been pushed in. Not lately though. When I had a 26' ex Navy whaleboat, my boy and I were trying to get out of the dink to climb aboard, he got too close to the gunnel and over it went, him all the way, me part. I got out first and rigged a line up for him to stand on below the waterline to assist and then I was able to lean over and help him out. He was quite large at the time and not yet able to pull himself out.
He could probably throw me 20 feet now!
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:59 AM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
I fell off my boat once. It was in the boatyard. Fell about 10'. Didn't hit the ground. Landed on the steel swim platform of my steel dive boat. Didn't break the platform, or any bones, but had some very impressive bruises. Was supposed to launch the boat that morning. It was delayed a few days.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:07 AM   #15
FF
Guru

I stepped off into the water in Port Royal while dockside.

The indignity was my crew would not lend a hand getting back aboard till they had photos.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 06:54 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Jackson NJ
Vessel Name: Venture
Vessel Model: Cutwater 28
I fell once. Boat shoes had gotten old, rubber had gotten hard and didn't grip. I am real careful about my boat shoes now.
Martin610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 07:54 AM   #17
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
NO, but I really took a nasty fall one time while ON the boat, on the hard. I was doing some maintenance and fell from the flybridge to the aft cabin deck. I laid there for almost an hour before the pain lessened enough that I could get up. Very sore for a week.

The winter cover was still on so nobody knew of my plight. I suppose I could have laid there for a week.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:49 AM   #18

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Agnus Dei
Vessel Model: 36' Shin Shing
Sorry so many of you have had such luck. I have never and hope never to. Glad your alive to talk about it.
Old 06-20-2020, 08:59 AM   #19
Guru

City: West Coast
I suspect this is apocryphal but in my boater safety class, I learned that 75% of male victims of boat related drownings have two things in common: 1) alcohol in their system, and 2) zipper down when recovered.
MYTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #20
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
I suspect this is apocryphal but in my boater safety class, I learned that 75% of male victims of boat related drownings have two things in common: 1) alcohol in their system, and 2) zipper down when recovered.
I've heard that before and frankly don't believe it. I would have to see a reputable government source on that one. That's one of those that sounds good to encourage people not to do, but lacking any factual data.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote