Old 06-26-2018, 06:49 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by toocoys View Post
I have a bad case of inherited DIy syndrome. My father is the king of build it yourself or rebuild a used one, and apparently I got every one of those genes from him.

So this is my tinker time pass today. One of these days I hope I can just start buying new stuff without feeling bad about spending money.
Very interesting thread... makes one consider their own motivators.
We must be related... I had 2 generations of instructors on how to DIY and $ave.

Keep the faith I am sure that if you keep it up you will save enough to finally be able to pick and choose where to DIY and where to just LODI... let others do it.
I'm retired and have plenty of time but learning to evaluate how motivated I am vs have other things I'd rather be doing before jumping to DIY ALL the time.

My DW has helped prioritize boat projects... projects OK in May... maybe June but come July 1 it's time to cruise.

Bacchus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:52 AM   #22
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianBoater View Post
I enjoy doing my own maintenance.
But that said I replace, not repair parts that are worn. For example, brake pads get to 30% on my vehicles and into the trash they go.
Brakes, Tires, Steering - Three with equally top importance! All new high quality parts for those babies

Art is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:57 AM   #23
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Bingo, me too. As RTF said it's the process. Can appreciate B&B's value of time but to me working on old stuff is time well spent. Helps my mental health and I have much more self satisfaction and pride on even the smallest of fixed/rebuilt/refinished items.
firstbase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 07:43 AM   #24
Art
Guru

For last few years I've been planning [looking for time out of life's schedule - LOL] to haul our boat and with a couple of fellows from my construction associate workers do a full-on exterior shine-down, paint up and pin stripe where necessary, repairs on exterior and interior where needed, complete bottom job, all new through hulls, reupholster as required and interior paint/varnish/ general spruce-up as desired. Our old baby Tollycraft boat has been used well for many years and is still doing quite OK... but, for several reasons is beginning to notably plead for my direct attention!

You can call the above anything you may like... I call it a DIY total refurbishment procedure with assistance as required. Time span would probably be three 40 hr. weeks. Outcome would be stellar under my consistent management and self-efforts. Out of pocket $$$ cost to me would likely amount in the $15K range. My own hours afforded in this procedure would be what I call "boat-love". Resulting personal feelings about and for the currently 41 yr. old boat's new and greatly improved condition[s], that will last from a decade to several decades, would be priceless! Big smile on Linda's face would be beyond priceless and gives me payment in duplicate.

If I simply listed what I want done and hired a yard to accomplish it all then $$$ cost to me could easily run into the mid to high 5 digit range. And, chances are slim of everything being accomplished to near perfection, such as it will with me constantly on site overseeing it all.

When it's called for... I like to get really DIY up-close and personal with items in our life!
Old 06-26-2018, 08:03 AM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. fb touched on an aspect of DIY that I hadn't considered BUT is important, to me, as well. Mental health (or lack thereof). Sometimes a situation is self evident and pretty straight forward, like changing impellers or oil changes. Other times a solution is NOT so obvious and takes a little or a lot of thought and or research. A great time to do some "out of the box" cogitating or deciding that the task is beyond my abilities and time to call in a professional.

Mr. BB mentions playing tennis in post #10 and I know a lot of TF members are big sports fans. Myself, I have negative interest in either playing or even watching sports. I'd almost rather have a root canal than sit through a football or basketball game and don't even mention golf BUT if that sort of thing entertains you, not a problem. Fill your boots.

I really, really enjoy working with my hands. Actually making or repairing something I can actually touch. "Buy a new one or hire somebody" is a common comment from my dear Admiral although I'm hearing that a bit less these days. She's either come around to MY way of thinking or she's given up trying. I'd like to think it's the former...

All that being said, the DOWNSIDE of DIY is failure or lack of complete satisfaction with the finished product. Unfortunately I'm just a touch anal and a bit of a perfectionist so on occasion I am disappointed in my own performance. But, like eating a turkey dinner (not fussy on turkey), this too shall pass.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:14 AM   #26
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
All that being said, the DOWNSIDE of DIY is failure or lack of complete satisfaction with the finished product. Unfortunately I'm just a touch anal and a bit of a perfectionist so on occasion I am disappointed in my own performance. But, like eating a turkey dinner (not fussy on turkey), this too shall pass.

I totally understand this, I try to do my best when doing something but I am rarely satisfied with the end result and most often think about what I should have done differently to make it better.
My wife is always kidding me about it.

L
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:22 AM   #27
Art
Guru

Quote:

Greetings,

Unfortunately I'm just a touch anal...
"... just a touch..."???

Old 06-26-2018, 08:57 AM   #28
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. L_t. Exactly. It's all part of the learning process IMO. Unlike you, young man, I am most often satisfied with the results. The question arises as to whether I am lowering my standards or simply becoming more skilled. I would like to think the latter...
Old 06-26-2018, 09:10 AM   #29
Guru

City: gulf coast
Every minute spent crawling around in the innards of your boat improves the likelihood of finding problems before they bite you at an inopportune time.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:16 AM   #30
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. A. "... just a touch..."??? Is that sarcasm I detect? Surely, after our 7 year internet "relationship" you, being the astute observer of the human condition, should have realized that I am the personification of decorum and humility.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:17 AM   #31
Guru

City: gulf coast
Finding quality workers is a big reason I do stuff myself. Only one person to blame if it is not done correctly. Labor intensive jobs like detailing I pay for. Engine work that affects reliability I do myself.

In defense of boat mechanics most people don't want to pay for the time to do a thorough job so the mechanics do things as simply and as fast as they can. DIY and you have as much time as necessary to do it right.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:25 AM   #32
Art
Guru

Quote:

I am the personification of decorum and humility.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:24 PM   #33
Guru

City: Seaford Va on Poquoson River, VA
Vessel Name: Old Glory
Vessel Model: 1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
I do everything myself, I wish I could haul out my boat without help. I know that is why Ehrlin, my old Marina manager bought a marina because he likes DIY and doing projects and he like working on his own engines and boats.

I have rebuilt my wood hull completely over several years, rebuilt both engines, one velvet drive, and an Onan MCCK given to me free by Ehrlin. I used to work as a car mechanic at a dealer for about 5 years before working in hospital as an MT ( the people who do your lab work). I enjoy the challenge of doing things, and like figuring out how to do things well and how things work.

You can not pay another person enough money to do a better job than you can do for free yourself if you have the skill, the time and the motivation. But you need to be honest about your ability. I can also see myself getting older and I likely won't want to do so many things I do now, so enjoy it while you can.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #34
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
I do everything myself, I wish I could haul out my boat without help. I know that is why Ehrlin, my old Marina manager bought a marina because he likes DIY and doing projects and he like working on his own engines and boats.

I have rebuilt my wood hull completely over several years, rebuilt both engines, one velvet drive, and an Onan MCCK given to me free by Ehrlin. I used to work as a car mechanic at a dealer for about 5 years before working in hospital as an MT ( the people who do your lab work). I enjoy the challenge of doing things, and like figuring out how to do things well and how things work.

You can not pay another person enough money to do a better job than you can do for free yourself if you have the skill, the time and the motivation. But you need to be honest about your ability. I can also see myself getting older and I likely won't want to do so many things I do now, so enjoy it while you can.
If you're gonna own an ol' woody in 2018 - Egg Harbor boats are top of the list. I always loved them!
Old 06-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #35

City: Kingsville, MD
Vessel Name: Harmony
Vessel Model: Pacemaker 1990 37' Convertible
A tooner at our marina was leaving a few years ago and passed my boat while I was varnishing - and exhorted me to enjoy my boat instead of varnishing.

I was enjoying my boat. Varnishing is therapeutic.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:49 PM   #36
Guru

City: Seabrook
Vessel Name: Boku
Vessel Model: 1996 Mainship 37 M/Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanddreamer View Post
A tooner at our marina was leaving a few years ago and passed my boat while I was varnishing - and exhorted me to enjoy my boat instead of varnishing.

I was enjoying my boat. Varnishing is therapeutic.

Anything is therapeutic on a boat. Any bad day on a boat still better than a good day at work!
toocoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 09:11 PM   #37
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post

And benefit to do it yourself is that when sh##t happens you know how to fix it.

L
Lou_tribal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:33 PM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
If you're gonna own an ol' woody in 2018 - Egg Harbor boats are top of the list. I always loved them!
It is a good boat for us. 37 foot with extended salon. Very beamy roomy feeling boat. We have a 10 cu foot fridge I put in couple years ago. Fits very well. Easy to have room for 10 people to enjoy a trip. It is a little slow. I need to replace the trim tabs which it seems helped it plane better.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:36 PM   #39
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
And benefit to do it yourself is that when sh##t happens you know how to fix it.

L
And stuff does happen, but not too often. Recent problem Onan Gen impeller failed. So working on it. Going out for boat ride Sunday and have to reli on inverter till fixed.
Old 06-30-2018, 01:41 PM   #40
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Custom Aluminum 52
New anchor windlass: $9000.

Old anchor windlass and "new" anchor windlass. Its still ugly but it works! $2000 in parts and welding courses and hydraulics self-learning. Still not quite finished, need to cut that flange on the deck and I will wet-blast the deck this week when my new wand gets here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0356.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	78004   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0621.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	78005