Diver said prop has pink hue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
On their website there is a 5 page data sheet. It says that there is a fan that will come on if the isolator fails. And if the fan is on then immediately get it fixed/replaced.

On their website there is a 5 page data sheet. It says that there is a fan that will come on if the isolator fails. And if the fan is on then immediately get it fixed/replaced.

Oh yeah I remember reading about that. I will listen for the fan.
Thanks!

You can stay awake nights listening for the fan…. Kinda wierd way to tell you it isn’t working.

You can stay awake nights listening for the fan…. Kinda wierd way to tell you it isn’t working.

I agree. Very weird. I can’t really hear all that well plus it’s buried behind my AC and DC panels so I doubt I’d hear it.

I figure I’ll just do the shore power plug in/plug out test with the silver cell every time I’m at the boat to make sure there isn’t a problem with the isolator.

I was able to use the silver cell to test and the anodes and the bonding system. Everything seems to have enough protection, although my rudder post was a little lower than all the other things I tested. I connected an aluminum “grouper” anode to that rudder post bonding wire and that brought it back up,so I guess I have a problem somewhere there.

I need to switch my zinc anodes to aluminum. I’m afraid they may already have some slime covering them up and rendering them less effective.

Clean the connection to the rudder post, maybe replace the connector. It may just be dirty or loose.

Will do. Thanks.

Hopefully you can get to the rudder post on your boat, not so much on my boat…

I'm going to mention that if the mounting areas on the so called protected parts and the zincs [anodes] are not clean then the anodes cannot work. Sand both mounting areas on the anode itself and the part to be protected.

Thanks!

I was able to test the shaft zinc using my silver cell thing and multimeter and I think the shaft zinc is working. But maybe the prop has bad contact on the shaft?

So your new galvanic isolator, when not working, will turn on a fan. Does that mean that the unit is heating up and the fan coming on is to disperse heat?

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Trawler Forum mobile app

So your new galvanic isolator, when not working, will turn on a fan. Does that mean that the unit is heating up and the fan coming on is to disperse heat?

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Trawler Forum mobile app

It appears so.

The galvanic isolator can be tested with a multimeter using the diode mode, but that requires accessing and disconnecting the wires to the isolator, which in my case is a PITA.

I also saw this method of testing an isolator which looks much easier, using a silver chloride reference cell. Does anyone know if this is a legit way to test an isolator?

https://youtu.be/28hGQ74V5Gw

Last edited:
Thanks!

I was able to test the shaft zinc using my silver cell thing and multimeter and I think the shaft zinc is working. But maybe the prop has bad contact on the shaft?

Maybe that is the case. I always sand or wire brush, SS, to clean both the zinc contact area and the metal to be protected contact area.

I forgot to further explain this. Then I test each with my DMM and if it shows any more than about 0.003 ohm it gets pulled and redone, the cleaning that is.

Last edited:
[emoji106]

Thanks for the helpful tips.

Back
Top Bottom