Disturbing report from New Bern, NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Moving at 6 knots is not dangerous, unless you leave too late.

Its true that some canes are that hard to plan a good move, but in my experience, not most.

Especially when you are just trying to get out of the catastrophic ring to the medium ring and find a good marina that isn't overwhelned to haul you. If far enough away as thing so develope, sit back and enjoy.

Last edited:
I just came from downtown new bern at 1pm on Sun (9/16)

BridgePoint Marina (at the Cunningham Bridge BEFORE you enter downtown New Bern) has boats sunk or floundering on every dock. Part of C dock (the dock closest to bridge) is near the New Bern Grand Marina (NBGM) docks.

The boats were told to leave the marina in plenty of time. Many did leave, but several did not leave and most of those are sunk.

There is a large sailboat on the hard the other side of the "slough), and a large dinner boat half on the RR bridge.

Only 3 boats are floating, as I recall.

At NBGM at the Hilton:

At least 5 boats sunk. Seems several floated over the pilings and when the water came down, the boat was holed on the piling and sank.
One steel sailboat came loose and and bounced around inside the marina.
Several boats bounced off each other and some boats are holed above the waterline.

Most ramps to the docks are destroyed and twisted.

The water seems to have been 4 feet (at least) over the railing at the wall. No electric soon as downtown is still dark and the electrical panels for the marina on land were partially underwater.

Across the Nuese River at Bridgeton Harbor (where my boat is kept); NO DAMAGE. The water got high and flooded the parking lot, thus the pilings were almost covered. No boats lost. NO damage to the docks.
No telling when the electric will come back.

My boat was a little wet inside where the water was blown into the door. But otherwise all safe and sound. She must not have moved too much for water bottles were still standing on the counter.

That is the news as I know it today.
Flood waters will come down the rivers early in the week and we shall see what happens.

A LOT of pain and destruction and loss of livelihoods out there, really boats are a minor thing compared to that.
But I thought the news might help some.

Tim

Moving at 6 knots is not dangerous, unless you leave too late.

Its true that some canes are that hard to plan a good move, but in my experience, not most.

Especially when you are just trying to get out of the catastrophic ring to the medium ring and find a good marina that isn't overwhelned to haul you. If far enough away as thing so develope, sit back and enjoy.

Yes, 6-7 knots last minute is dangerous when the path changes direction and you have little time to move--this was the case with Irma. As a Floridian and one who has been through many hurricanes, I would say it is hard to plan a good move in most cases. Let's take Charlie for example. The track had it going over the Tampa bay area--we all know it turned south last minute. The whole west cost was in potential danger. Where would I have moved my boat? People forget that hurricanes are extremely large. Several marinas/dock yards in my areas were unable to store additional vessels on the hard two weeks prior to Irma making land fall--all filled!

Last edited:
Florida is tough unless in the panhandle.

I said... "Not always easy"... Or ,"u nless you leave too late"

I had the same issue with Sandy and it's unpredictable turn.

Lower FL is not even one full state....plenty of other places people have different options.

People on TF gave to remember, most discussions aren't about "them".

Plus hurricanes are large, but often the most dangerous parts aren't so big you can't get to a MUCH safer place, marina, hurricane hole, etc....

Last edited:
Florida I so tough unless in the panhandle.

I said... "Not always easy"...

But lower FL is not even one full state.

People on TF gave to remember, most discussions aren't about "them".

Boy, you are difficult. Not trying to argue here. The point I am making is let's not judge why some people did not move their boats--we don't know the reasons.

Boy, you are difficult. Not trying to argue here. The point I am making is let's not judge why some people did not move their boats--we don't know the reasons.

I said there are reasons why you can't or shouldn't.

But having a 6 knot boat isn't an absolute reason.

I have judged no one, just pointing out either facts or opinions steeped in research and experience.

And why am I any more difficult than you or anyone else in this or any discussion where info is added or corrected every post?

I said there are reasons why you can't or shouldn't.

But having a 6 knot boat isn't an absolute reason.

I have judged no one, just pointing out either facts or opinions steeped in research and experience.

And why am I any more difficult than you or anyone else in this or any discussion where info is added or corrected every post?

I was referring to the earlier poster who questioned why some did not move their boats... but I will give you the last word!

I’ve seen so much video and news about marinas and boats destroyed that I have figured it was better to run as far away as possible. The projections of possible tracks I saw on tv I would of probably went south. Even running at 6.5 to 7 mph my normal cruising speed 100+ miles a day is possible. How far would a boat have to go with 3 days head start? Even with insurance I would hate to see my boat damaged or destroyed, maybe it’s wishful thinking that I could out run it.

The thought of out running a storm reminds me of the loss to the Fantome.

The loss of the Windjammer Schooner, Fantome

Big difference in going to sea and scooting up the ICW ab100+ miles to possibly a better situation than staying someplace that if the forecast doesn't change, you will get your a** handed to you.

Florida can be a tough state to avoid a hurricane hitting your boat. But, it has a waterway (Okeechobee) that allows you to cross the state in 2 to 3 days. There are also 2 or 3 hurricane rated storage facilities along the waterway. Rarely does the same hurricane pose a major threat to both coasts. While I don't plan to have my boat in FL during hurricane season, I would have to consider keeping it in a safer location for the worst 2 or 3 months.

Ted

I just came from downtown new bern at 1pm on Sun (9/16)

BridgePoint Marina (at the Cunningham Bridge BEFORE you enter downtown New Bern) has boats sunk or floundering on every dock. Part of C dock (the dock closest to bridge) is near the New Bern Grand Marina (NBGM) docks.

The boats were told to leave the marina in plenty of time. Many did leave, but several did not leave and most of those are sunk.

There is a large sailboat on the hard the other side of the "slough), and a large dinner boat half on the RR bridge.

Only 3 boats are floating, as I recall.

At NBGM at the Hilton:

At least 5 boats sunk. Seems several floated over the pilings and when the water came down, the boat was holed on the piling and sank.
One steel sailboat came loose and and bounced around inside the marina.
Several boats bounced off each other and some boats are holed above the waterline.

Most ramps to the docks are destroyed and twisted.

The water seems to have been 4 feet (at least) over the railing at the wall. No electric soon as downtown is still dark and the electrical panels for the marina on land were partially underwater.

Across the Nuese River at Bridgeton Harbor (where my boat is kept); NO DAMAGE. The water got high and flooded the parking lot, thus the pilings were almost covered. No boats lost. NO damage to the docks.
No telling when the electric will come back.

My boat was a little wet inside where the water was blown into the door. But otherwise all safe and sound. She must not have moved too much for water bottles were still standing on the counter.

That is the news as I know it today.
Flood waters will come down the rivers early in the week and we shall see what happens.

A LOT of pain and destruction and loss of livelihoods out there, really boats are a minor thing compared to that.
But I thought the news might help some.

Tim

WOW!! So glad your marina survived so well!! Great News! We wondered how you would fare! Testament to how well your docks are constructed for sure. Any available slips up there? ?

BandB said it best in my thread:

And just where would you move the 1,000,000+ boats in Florida? Many of them are safest right where they are in marinas that have been built to provide hurricane protection. Would you risk your life to move your boat? Or what about your house and your family?

You don't need to move 1000000+ boats, you only need to move 1, your own.
You don't need to risk your life if moving several days before.

In this part of the world with cyclones, stuffing yourself up a creek and running a spiderweb of rope and anchors s a tried and proven method (i have done it myself on several boats) whereas marinas are often a recipe for disaster. Even when cyclone / hurricane rated.

Cyclone yasi totally destroyed the marina and all boats in it (see pic), reports from some of those that went in the creeks was that it was pretty much a non event and the fishing was good.

I don't know the area but wouldn't somewhere like upper broad creek or offshoots of the trent river provide good shelter?
Seems to be reasonable depth a long way up into it.

1929184-3x2-940x627.jpg

Last edited:
While I don't plan to have my boat in FL during hurricane season, I would have to consider keeping it in a safer location for the worst 2 or 3 months.

Ted

We do. Fort Lauderdale. It's as safe as anywhere in the state, maybe on the East Coast.

One thing I see among those talking about moving 100 miles at 6 knots is they live on their boat. If you have a land home and a boat, moving the boat 100 miles, takes you 100 miles from your home. But 100 miles is only enough if you're moving at the last minute, if moving several days in advance, you'd need to move 200 or more as 200 is the normal forecast miss at that time. Now you have taken three days to move 200 miles and need transportation to get home and are out of time to prepare at home.

A live aboard with nothing else to worry about should be able to move out of a hurricane zone 90% or so of the time. However, there are exceptions such as Irma, such as Matthew in 2016.

I'll be interested in finding out how Jarrett Bay and Bennett Brothers fared since they're the largest hurricane haul out facilities I know in the area.

And, for Florence, we were between NYC and Ocean City when we first became aware of the hurricane. Our plans were Norfolk then Morehead City, then Bermuda. Instead, we ran to Hilton Head, St. Augustine, Fort Lauderdale. But our home wasn't in the hurricane zone so it was easy for us. I can't judge others as I don't know their situations. If there were boats not adequately tied, then I do criticize the marina for not checking and correcting that. Also, if the owner was likely to have circumstances preventing them from being there, I feel they should have left the boat hurricane prepared.

We have EQ and Fires in SoCal to deal with, but not hurricanes fortunately. Interesting to read what is practical, and what isn’t in regards to running away. Sounds like boat speed is a key factor..makes sense. Even with a good head start in a slow speed boat, or a fast one, a mechanical breakdown while moving to a new “safe” spot would sure add a heck of a lot more to the stress factor when a home, family and other considerations on land are involved. Now I understand why many stay put, take precautions, and have a good insurance policy.

We do. Fort Lauderdale. It's as safe as anywhere in the state, maybe on the East Coast.

One thing I see among those talking about moving 100 miles at 6 knots is they live on their boat. If you have a land home and a boat, moving the boat 100 miles, takes you 100 miles from your home. But 100 miles is only enough if you're moving at the last minute, if moving several days in advance, you'd need to move 200 or more as 200 is the normal forecast miss at that time. Now you have taken three days to move 200 miles and need transportation to get home and are out of time to prepare at home.

A live aboard with nothing else to worry about should be able to move out of a hurricane zone 90% or so of the time. However, there are exceptions such as Irma, such as Matthew in 2016.

I'll be interested in finding out how Jarrett Bay and Bennett Brothers fared since they're the largest hurricane haul out facilities I know in the area.
Ok...let's expand....

People are talking boats in general and why they aren't moved?

Well heck....many here can move at 8, 10, 15 or more knots ...many can move that 100 miles and many more even in just one day....and still get home.

Some may think I am being limited in my thinking....I am not so sure about that. My last live aboard was a 20 knot boat. I not only had a job, but as a USCG helo pilot in a hurricane area, we didn't get a lot of flexibility with preparing our own homes/ boats.

Manage your risks, sometimes it's flee everything, sometimes it's stay and sometimes it's save what you can. Heck most people work near home, not like they need to be in a bad area to work during the storm. Even those who have businesses to protect have to manage risks, just more of them.

But to say it can't or shouldn't be tried ever is only seeing one side of the possibilities.

I bring my boat up the river if a ts is coming my way, I don’t have the luxury of insurance, maybe that is the problem

Looking at it from a different perspective, my house is prepared for hurricane season. Not much I can do within a week or so of a hurricane, and very little I will be able to do for a week or so afterwards. As for the boat, moving it for prime hurricane months seems pretty reasonable. Being in Fort Myers makes it pretty easy to cross the state a few days in advance. Have also considered being up near Pensacola for the summer and heading up the Tombigbee to Demopolis should the need arise.

I often wonder when seeing the marina devastation, how many boat owners see the lose of their boat and insurance settlement as a win? Or maybe put another way, if insurance only covered 70% of market value, would people do a better job of protecting their asset? When the hurricanes have come close to Ocean City, MD, I'm always amazed at the number that make no additional effort to secure their boats. With numerous days of advanced warning, they just can't be bothered to even come down and check or maybe put some storm lines on.

Ted

Anyone heard how the Hatteras plant faired?

Ches

Ok...let's expand....

People are talking boats in general and why they aren't moved?

Well heck....many here can move at 8, 10, 15 or more knots ...many can move that 100 miles and many more even in just one day....and still get home.

Some may think I am being limited in my thinking....I am not so sure about that. My last live aboard was a 20 knot boat. I not only had a job, but as a USCG helo pilot in a hurricane area, we didn't get a lot of flexibility with preparing our own homes/ boats.

Manage your risks, sometimes it's flee everything, sometimes it's stay and sometimes it's save what you can. Heck most people work near home, not like they need to be in a bad area to work during the storm. Even those who have businesses to protect have to manage risks, just more of them.

But to say it can't or shouldn't be tried ever is only seeing one side of the possibilities.

And no where in my post do I say can't or shouldn't. I did indicate though that it's more difficult, the more responsibilities other than the boat, the more you have other priorities. We had no others this time so an easy choice. When we're home, we're staying there as we did for Irma. Everyone has to manage their responsibilities to the best of their ability.

I bring my boat up the river if a ts is coming my way, I don’t have the luxury of insurance, maybe that is the problem

I agree.

I do have the luxury of insurance and still chose to run and hide amongst the mangroves when we had the tail end of a cyclone come past last year

We barely noticed the wind overhead.

I am in Fort Pierce, FL. With a high pressure North of me I would be afraid, very afraid. Sandy and Irma and others had no HP North. Had there been a HP North, I would head toward the FL waterway and got behind a lock.. if lucky I would have gotten a slip, at one of the few Marinas available otherwise there are some places to ride out the wind. Worse case, run her aground, anchors out to rear..

Interesting, that is the first time I have heard insurance referrred to as a “luxury”. There will always be a percentage of the population that will act inappropriately and take advantage of a situation, including their insurance. The rest of us work hard to pay the premiums, so that coverage is available to others when it is needed.

Interesting, that is the first time I have heard insurance referrred to as a “luxury”. There will always be a percentage of the population that will act inappropriately and take advantage of a situation, including their insurance. The rest of us work hard to pay the premiums, so that coverage is available to others when it is needed.

I suppose I should have said affordable insurance, my boat is fiberglass over wood, for 150k in coverage it cost about 15k per year. I take particular care of her, she is not going down on my watch[emoji106]

Socialize the risk and privatize the profit. Or that noble stuff.

I suppose I should have said affordable insurance, my boat is fiberglass over wood, for 150k in coverage it cost about 15k per year. I take particular care of her, she is not going down on my watch[emoji106]

So $21,000 aud :eek: :eek: :eek:
That is some severe rapeage.

We pay about $1300 usd or $1900aud for ours and I thought that was bad.

I was able to get a liability/towing/fuel spill policy for about $1,400, but any actual coverage was crazy expensive

I and the full-time live aboard in South Florida, last year when Irma was coming through projected path hurricane covered the whole state of Florida. I was prepared to run but could not determine where to go. I prepared the best I could and we got lucky here and everything turned out okay. Not the same for everybody

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom