Distance Over Land vs Distance Over Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would never use the sectors for collision as much as constant bearing decreasing range...the real indicator in my mind of a collision.

I benefit from all the advice and perspective of you folks that have so much more experience than I will ever have. As I read these discussions I learn a lot, and once again, have to thanks you folks for contributing.

Anyway, I really like the radar and AIS collision avoidance features of my RayMarine system. I use it a fair amount to set targets and train them. However, when trying to make a decision as to the potential of a conflict, I have a hand-held compass at hand and check bearings. That will usually be the determining factor to tell me if I want to change course or not on a clear day.

That would be nice. What I'd really like is a RayMarine unit that will integrate with my MFDs and autopilot. That is what I had on my last sailboat and it was a very nice setup.

That is exactly what I have done. All Raymarine MFD, AIS and AP. Mt 2 MFDs are tied together. eS127 and a c97. Not sure if I like having one as a slave and the other as the master.

Attachments

• IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 36
Also, boat operates with constant minor corrections of rudder to go "straight", and in heavy seas the up and down action climbing waves and trouhgs makes a water "distance" longer than the same distance over flat land.

Nautical miles vs statute miles?

Really? You have to ask? Unless you are using charts from a gas station, it will be calibrated in NM. And you can measure on any meridian without having to find the scale.

most waterway guides for the Atlantic and Gulf intracoastal and intracoastal waterway charts while still using lat/long are marked/refetenced in statute miles.

arent the inland rivers marked/ referenced statute miles also?

Last edited:
most waterway guides for the Atlantic and Gulf intracoastal and intracoastal waterway charts while still using lat/long are marked/refetenced in statute miles.

How quaint!

Yes, they are, and drove us crazy. Loopers are statute people it seems. To me, "nautical" ties to maritime and water so if I'm in a boat, I only talk nautical and knots.

The reason statute miles are used on inland waterways, is the lat/lon are not factors in navigation. Think about it, NM really only ties to places where lat/lon is a factor.

The reason statute miles are used on inland waterways, is the lat/lon are not factors in navigation. Think about it, NM really only ties to places where lat/lon is a factor.

NM is still a valid distance.

after a few years, you can switch back and forth in your head and be close enough.

NM is still a distance, but if all refetences are in SM, pretty silly to fight it.

Lat/Long have relavance far more than NM.

Last edited:
after a few years, you can switch back and forth in your head and be close enough.

NM is still a distance, but if all refetences are in SM, pretty silly to fight it.

Yes, but we keep all our log data in nm and while we could enter sm and convert, we're comfortable sticking to nm. We do all our planning in nm's. Yes, we can quickly convert mentally from SM. We actually feel strange when we take a trip like tomorrow in a car. Sometimes we find ourselves almost starting to convert to nm.

so do I...

wish I was as good with metric conversion.....

Quite apart from tidal flows a land mile and a nautical mile are different measurements.

Wifey B: Ok, for all you statute mile people. Left home at 6:15. Daytona Beach at 9:30. 242 statute miles, average 74.5 mph. Fuel usage 9.5 gallons. Avg mph 25.4. Too cold to have top down. :)

I don't like this land stuff. :nonono::nonono:

so do I...

wish I was as good with metric conversion.....

Heard a funny joke about the metric system recently;

"There are two kinds of country's in the world; those who have walked on the moon and those who use the metric system." :socool:

"There are two kinds of country's in the world; those who have walked on the moon and those who use the metric system." :socool:

It is funny.

FWIW, NASA has used the metric system since 1990.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who can count in binary and those who can't.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom