Displacement or Planing Hull?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Welcome,
I to was a commercial fisherman but in the gulf of Maine for 25 years. My commercial boat did 8.5 knots and it was usually rough enough you couldn’t go any faster than that anyways. We moved down the Florida Keys 10 years ago and bought a center console cateraman. We have been to all the northern Bahamas islands with it. With this experience under our belt we bought a Grand Banks 49 this summer and plan on continuing our exploring of the Bahamas. We decided on slow and comfortable for a few reasons. Cost of travel, fuel is expensive over there. More comfortable for family (grandkids). It takes longer to get places but you can cook a thanksgiven dinner on the way or play a game of chess etc...
Bud

Hello Dave

I have a 4788 in Seward Alaska

Greetings! I'm from Cordova, so I think we beat you on rain (but just by a little). I think the late 90s early 2000s Bayliners are often overlooked. Having now owned 3 of them they're really great boats. My only complaint was the the 38' was underpowered with the Hinos, but as long as you just treated her like a trawler and ran around at 8 knots, it was perfect.

The 4788 looks like a great rig. Never been on one, but peered into the windows of several in harbors.

Cheers!

Dave

Everyone: Thanks a bunch for all the great information and experience shares. As I said, I'm new to this forum, but so far I've been very impressed with the depth of knowledge, willingness to share, and the courtesy between members. Hard to find all three of those things on the Internet.

Cheers!

Dave

Back
Top Bottom