Discharging dirty dishwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is straying somewhat off original topic but searching “combined sewer system” or similar phrase turns plenty of evidence that they do exist, that storm and sanitary do in fact go through treatment and that they are an expensive problem.

This is straying somewhat off original topic but searching “combined sewer system” or similar phrase turns plenty of evidence that they do exist, that storm and sanitary do in fact go through treatment and that they are an expensive problem.

and if the treatment plant is overwhelmed, the results are untreated water being discharged into streams, rivers, bays and ocean.
IF we accidentally discharge untreated waste, we get a BIG fine. The cities's fines are considerable less if at all. Witness: city of Atlanta. They found it less expensive to pay the fines (at tax payers' expense) than to build a proper system. And yes, they still use "salt" on the streets for snow and ice treatment.

The community of Lake George has paid fines for years for discharging sewage into (wait for it) Lake George.

The same Lake George that has very strict standards and fines for recreational boating.

I'm not against the standard, as Lake George really is fairly pristine. But the hypocrisy...

It would be interesting to see if they collected more gross fines from boaters, than I'd they did from the village. I'm sure if you worked it out volumetrically it would be magnitudes higher than what the village was fined.

and if the treatment plant is overwhelmed, the results are untreated water being discharged into streams, rivers, bays and ocean.
IF we accidentally discharge untreated waste, we get a BIG fine. The cities's fines are considerable less if at all. Witness: city of Atlanta. They found it less expensive to pay the fines (at tax payers' expense) than to build a proper system. And yes, they still use "salt" on the streets for snow and ice treatment.

Its just not water, Portland, Seattle, Tacoma etc dump raw poo into the river/ocean. I know one town here on the Columbia that dumps raw sewage during heavy rain just up stream from the marina.

The BIG fine is negligible. The fine is passed on to the customers. There is no incentive to fix the system as it is cheaper to just pay the fine.

So a little grey water from a boat is NOTHING!

Or, poop from your black water tank.
Its just not water, Portland, Seattle, Tacoma etc dump raw poo into the river/ocean. I know one town here on the Columbia that dumps raw sewage during heavy rain just up stream from the marina.

The BIG fine is negligible. The fine is passed on to the customers. There is no incentive to fix the system as it is cheaper to just pay the fine.

So a little grey water from a boat is NOTHING!

Parts of the world no longer allow ANY grey water to go overboard. Not even shower or sink water. New boats are built with a grey water tank which is pumped out.
Current teaching is to NOT put dish washer liquid on diesel spills when you fuel up. The dish water detergent is every bit as toxic as the diesel and dispersing the diesel makes it more toxic as well. Beyond being careful and having paper towels at hand we’ve taken to cutting an appropriate sized hole in a auto supply absorbent pads placed around fill to make sure not a drop goes on deck or in the water.

How can that be when all the evnviros use dawn to clean up the wildlife when there is an oilspill---????

i dont get some of this"logic"

How can that be when all the evnviros use dawn to clean up the wildlife when there is an oilspill---????

i dont get some of this"logic"

Read up on dispersants....then you will get it.

:banghead:you’re worried about cigarette butts thrown overboard:banghead:How about the millions of gallons of raw sewage coming out of Tijuana river that closes San Diego beaches for miles. Come on!
All of the inland waters of western Washington are strict no discharge zones, and more and more areas in British Columbia are following suit. Listen, folks, regardless of where you are, there's an awful lot of common sense and courtesy that seem to be missing in both regulations and in the behavior of many boaters. In other words, think about where you are and what you're putting down the sink. It's not cool to put a lot of shampoo or dishwashing suds into the water of a small cove or marina, regardless of the regulations. It's just thoughtless behavior, like throwing cigarette butts overboard.

You can get no-suds liquid camping soaps that are perfectly fine for washing yourself or your dishes. We find that if we're aware of where we are and what we're putting down the drain, there just doesn't seem to be a problem.

My gawd!

The OP was talking about the little bit of stuff that sticks to your BBQ burners. We’re not talking about a bucket of grease here!

The responses here flat out amaze me.

Clean your grill where you want. Do your dishes, enjoy life.

Yes...The planet will survive just fine. :blush:

Back
Top Bottom