Dirty Holding Tank, Needs cleaning!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope...replacement is the ONLY cure for permeated hoses.

I'm partial to Raritan SaniFlex hose, which has proven to be 100% odor permeation resistant and has the added advantage of being so flexible it can be bent like a hairpin without kinking. Raritan Saniflex Sanitation Hose Defender has it for <$10/ft.

This doesn't have to be a messy job...my book (see link in my signature) includes detailed instructions. If you don't have it or want it, I'll post the basics.

--Peggie

p.s. What marine hose price fixing scandal, Brooksie? First I've heard of it!

Last edited:
My question is how to get the stink out of vent and dump hoses. I cleaned my tank really well and don't get any odor when flushing. But when I crawl into the hold where the hoses are located I can really smell it. Is there any way to deodorize them so I don't have to replace them?

The only way to fix the problem is what Peggie said. However a temporary fix it to wrap the hoses in clear Saran Wrap. It will stop most of the smell. But it is a temporary fix.

However a temporary fix it to wrap the hoses in clear Saran Wrap. It will stop most of the smell. But it is a temporary fix.

It is a decent "band aid"...I've used it. It MUST be the Saran brand plastic wrap...no other brand will work. Make sure to cover every millimeter of hose with it...seal the ends with electrical tape.

Most people only use this to buy time to wait till the summer heat is over to replace hoses...but we're having a very cool spring, so why not get it over with now and be done with it?

----Peggie

My question is how to get the stink out of vent and dump hoses. I cleaned my tank really well and don't get any odor when flushing. But when I crawl into the hold where the hoses are located I can really smell it. Is there any way to deodorize them so I don't have to replace them?

New hose is the way to go and I just listed on the classifieds, 41 feet of Raritan Sani Flex hose. Check it out...

For the most part, we cruise in Canada and typically in places where we are allowed to discharge at sea. It’s nice to have some choppy seas to provide some vessel motion to lift the sludge up while discharging when travelling. Also, we have a couple of buckets of fresh water to flush down the head and into the holding tank. I open the inspection port while doing this and continue flushing the heads until the tank is visibly empty of sludge. It’s particularly important to do this at the end of he cruising season when we head back to home port.

Jim

For the most part, we cruise in Canada and typically in places where we are allowed to discharge at sea. It’s nice to have some choppy seas to provide some vessel motion to lift the sludge up while discharging when travelling. Also, we have a couple of buckets of fresh water to flush down the head and into the holding tank. I open the inspection port while doing this and continue flushing the heads until the tank is visibly empty of sludge. It’s particularly important to do this at the end of he cruising season when we head back to home port.

Jim

I know I am pushing against the grain here, just don’t understand the reason why so many are concerned with a holding tank’s contents other than if it is full and having no way to empty it. In all my years of boating, never ever had a holding tank concern other than making sure to have it pumped. The contents are septic, not antiseptic and should be treated as such.

Stink? Never after I replaced all hoses with PVC pipe, the same non-stink stuff used in homes. Yes, there are some short hose lengths needed to connect the pipe system to toilets, tank and macerator. Also have an activated carbon filter in my vent line that prevents stink being vented to the outside. I don’t care what lives in my boat’s holding tank nor do I care what lives in my homes septic tank each of which are regularly pumped. But to each his own.

I just tried to find sodium perchlorate in BC with no luck...what kind of place would sell this stuff ? I must be looking in the wrong places...

I think it may be sodium percarbonate that you are looking for.
I just tried to find sodium perchlorate in BC with no luck...what kind of place would sell this stuff ? I must be looking in the wrong places...

I tried several methods to get sludge off the inside vertical surfaces of my holding tank, which was preventing the exterior level sensor from working right. Finally followed someone's suggestion of sodium perchlorate (apparently one of the major ingredients of Oxyclean)--about 1 cup powder per gallon, plus a bunch of liquid Tide. Filled tank and let sit over night. Agitation not needed. Pumped out tank and rinse well. It worked!
Good luck
Oldersalt

Tried as per this entry at the beginning of this thread

Looks like your right tho Catalinajack...however seems you can get it from Walmart USA but not Canada...anybody?

They won’t ship it and the border is closed

just don’t understand the reason why so many are concerned with a holding tank’s contents other than if it is full and having no way to empty it. In all my years of boating, never ever had a holding tank concern other than making sure to have it pumped. The contents are septic, not antiseptic and should be treated as such.

Well, the OP's original concern was that no matter how many times he "emptied" his tank, there was always an amount of sludge at the bottom. Which effectively decreases your holding tank capacity. That was the case with our 60-gal holding tank as well. After using Forget About It we literally gained more capacity, as the sludge that had built up over perhaps decades was finally able to be fully pumped out.

OxiClean contains two active ingredients: Sodium Percarbonate and Sodium Carbonate, also known as "washing soda." These substances form oxygen and hydrogen peroxide when mixed with water. Hydrogen peroxide is the bleach formed. This article will tell you everything you need to know about "washing soda."

https://www.thespruce.com/what-is-washing-soda-2145888 The third paragraph under "what are the uses..." indicate it may do the job for you.

It's sold under a several brand names including Arm and Hammer.

--Peggie

You can buy the active ingredient to Oxiclean from amazon. There is a previous post on this about a year old. Has the “correct” ratio for sodium percarbonate, Dawn, and water.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom