Old 01-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #21
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkenbuddie View Post
I have and Island Packet 38 in marathon. I have used it quite a bit and just got back from 3 months in the Bahamas. Need to pay bills so selling my island packet. Bought the trawler. If I was going to plan the trip and then post to you all to check my plan I would have a plan. If that makes since ??
Yes I needed to contact You to help me because I have never been up that way and looking for experience of others that have done this trip. I have a few friends that would like to ride along on parts of the trip and want to do it inside because what has been said here. Thanks for the great ideas. Now to the planning and hope to take as long as it takes. And yes I'll PM Boatdriver. Thanks again. I'm thinking very nice post so far.
Well, the unanswered question is how much time can you take on the trip. That plays a part in the routing.

Second, with it being a new boat to you, sitting all winter and maybe longer, I would do a local or very short distance shake down cruise before doing anything more. Professional delivery captains get by fine just picking a boat up, quick check, then taking off in it, but that's not generally the wisest thing for the rest of us.

When I speak of running outside, that's obviously all conditions dependent, and there may be large periods of your trip where that isn't possible.

As to "best route" that exists in the same realm as "best boat." Different to each of us and we can really only attempt to provide by knowing more of the time you have, your experience (which you have shared now), who if anyone will be traveling with you.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 12:50 PM   #22
Veteran Member

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Cape Star
Vessel Model: Roughwater 36
Just throwing this out there in case it helps and because I wonder about doing this for the WA/AK run. If it does not have to be done in one continuous run, perhaps you could do it in hops based on weather windows. Hop part of the way down the coast (inside, outside, or mix), slip it, return home. Repeat as needed. The from/to for the interim slips would add to the cost, but might allow for more weather flexibility as well as time flexibility for exploring on the way. Each hop would be a separate mini test that might inform what is possible for the next hop. For those with more experience, would this be feasible? What other drawbacks might it cause?

Thanks.

Tim
TimButterfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 01:32 PM   #23
Guru

Where in RI is the boat?
When I cruise down Long Island Sound I usually do 3 days...
Day one to Mattituck Inlet which is on the north shore of Long Island.
Day 2 to Manhasset Bay which is also Long Island just before NYC.
Day 3 lets you set up for the current to go thru NYC.

Add a day to get you from RI to Mystic or Stonington, Ct.

All those stops put you in places to get supplies or repair parts which you might need in a new to you boat.

Timing may vary if you want longer days or if you catch the tide.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:34 PM   #24

City: Port Charlotte FL
Vessel Name: Indian Summer
Vessel Model: Marine trader Europa 36
Yes it's actually in Moby Dick marina in Fairhaven, MA
drinkenbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 02:41 PM   #25

I might add I'm very handy and can do all types of work, but yes as you said, do need parts and like things cheep and can't afford the prices for slips up there. I called around and wow I'm in one of the cheepest one just as long as it's not in the water.
Old 01-21-2016, 03:11 PM   #26
Veteran Member

If you want to make this trip and take best advantage of tides and weather windows you need to do 2 things 1 be comfortable with running at night and 2 be totally comfortable with your ground tackle and anchoring as required. These things will save you a lot of time and a lot more money over running marina to marina. Bill
boatdriver47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:46 AM   #27
Dauntless Award

City: Wrangell, Alaska
Vessel Name: Dauntless
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 - 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Depending on the weather, we would leave RI and run offshore south of LI, then stop for the night in one of the NJ inlets. Then to OC Md, then offshore to Norfolk in the Ches Bay. Then ICW through the rest of Va into NC to Beafort. If nice offshore, Beaufort to Wrightsville Bch NC. Next stop offshore to Charleston SC. Then Fernandina, Fla. More stops if the boat is slower, fewer if faster.

It depends on the weather, your tolerance for rough stuff, and whether you want to get there quick, or want to see the sights.

I have run the ICW enough that it is not new to me, I'd rather be offshore. But if you have not done the inside, it is worth it at least once to see it. Many remarkable vistas along the way.
The above looks very good to me also.

I've done block Island to NJ twice. Better to wait for fair winds then to do Long Island Sound.

Richard

a Kadey Krogen 42 currently: https://share.garmin.com/dauntless
Blog:
https://dauntlessatsea.com
Wxx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 03:12 PM   #28
Guru

In summary go south go carefully go outside weather permitting. Know your boat and its abilities know how and where to safely duck inside don't rush to the point of endangerment. Understand the east coasts inlets and their dangers. Be prepared to run aground a common experience for newbies on ICW try not to do this in an inlet. If you have the option of having an experienced skipper aboard go for it.( A hint your boat does not have the speed and acceleration to ride waves into a breaking inlet you need about 14K for that)
eyschulman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #29
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We summered a few times in Westport Mass, just west of New Bedford. All these suggestions are useless until we know a few more things.
1) is the OP looking to do some gourmet cruising (which there is a lot of) or for some reason hellbound to get back to Florida?
2) Come the time to leave, how much confidence will he have in the boat's seaworthiness? It sounds like it was a cheap boat; what were the engine and hull surveys like?
3) What is the usable range of this boat?
4) What safety equipment will be on board? Liferaft ?
5) Sounds like money is a problem. If so, anchoring and free or low cost docks and moorings come into play.

Just as starters....

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:24 PM   #30
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
We summered a few times in Westport Mass, just west of New Bedford. All these suggestions are useless until we know a few more things.
1) is the OP looking to do some gourmet cruising (which there is a lot of) or for some reason hellbound to get back to Florida?
2) Come the time to leave, how much confidence will he have in the boat's seaworthiness? It sounds like it was a cheap boat; what were the engine and hull surveys like?
3) What is the usable range of this boat?
4) What safety equipment will be on board? Liferaft ?
5) Sounds like money is a problem. If so, anchoring and free or low cost docks and moorings come into play.

Just as starters....
We still have no idea how much time he has to make the trip. Not that we haven't asked that. So far he really hasn't given us the information to assist him.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:43 PM   #31
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
I might add I'm very handy and can do all types of work,............... .
Yea, so am I. The first time I went to the boat to do some maintenance, I found out every bolt on the engine (except one) was metric. Back home I went to get metric tools.

My point is, you need to know your boat. Fortunately, I was home, not in the middle of a cruise when I discovered this.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 08:57 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Louisville, KY
Vessel Name: Jessie
Vessel Model: 43' Marine Trader 49' Albin Tricabin
Unless you have a death wish, you should spend a week in Narragansett Bay to determine if your boat is seaworthy and which of the systems on the boat you can trust. Fuel tanks have been mentioned as suspect, but steering hydraulics are a concern, electronics are unknown and the quality of the fuel in your tanks could easily get you in trouble. And do you have any experience navigating in the fog?

As far as checking the weather, in New England and New Jersey in May, if you have great weather in the morning, the weather will turn crappy by afternoon. Or you will be dealing with 15-25+ knot winds all day. In early May, you will be among the first boats in the water in Rhode Island other then the quahoggers. You should check the weather and tides out of Narragansett Bay very carefully before you leave or you may not even make it past Block Island. And did I mention the possibility of fog?

If I were you, I would stay along the northern coast of LI sound and chart and know very well all of your potential emergency ports along RI and CT, when the seas pick up. From NYC you are going to be forced to go outside along NJ. The safe inlets along that stretch are few and far between when things get stinky. If you CAN make it in an inlet when things get bad, you may have to deal with closed railroad bridges shallows, and 5 knot currents.

The mouth of the Delaware River (from Cape May toward the canal) may swallow you as might the mouth of the Potomac on a bad day in a 36' boat. My further advise if you make it to Norfolk, is to stay inside from Norfolk all the way down through Florida.
Cuttyhunk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:31 PM   #33

OK now your scaring me. There must be a guide to fallow? What's a good one? Yes I have plenty of time.
Old 01-23-2016, 06:31 AM   #34
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Can't speak with authority on eastern LI sound and points East.... but New Jersey and Delbay in May is nowhere's near that bad. I have been a professional and recreational captain in NJ for the last 15 years and grew up there.

While it CAN be bad...so can anyplace. The trick is not to have to enter an inlet or treacherous piece of water when the sh** is hitting the fan.

Hardly any part of the trip is death defying if you pick your weather and have a liferaft or dingy. I say that because until Norfolk...the water is still pretty cold to tread water any length of time.

Even the NJ intracoastal is easily done in a 36 with less than 4 foot draft if you pick your times and ask for local knowledge along the way. Much longer time wise but it is as pleasant as much of the real ICW.

Even if the boat is less than perfect...get assistance towing and make sure you have a good radio and antenna. I have towed PLENTY of brand new boats because of all kinds of reasons.

If you pick routes were you are not too far offshore...you won't be far from civilization ...heck you are farther from help in parts of the Georgia ICW.

Scary trip? Nope, done all the time by raw beginners and no big deal except newbies errors.

So my real advice is sit down for 5-6 hours with someone who has done the trip numerous times...pick their brains, believe half of what they say, read a few waterway guides, keep perusing the internet......ask MORE specific questions as the data starts to sink in..... Then check a few major points on the boat and try to enjoy it. Credit cards are handy as sometime things go bad with the boat quickly. Having the ability to resolve them quickly...but expensively....can mean a lot to lower blood pressure.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 07:00 AM   #35

I like that guide 2015 ICW.
Old 01-23-2016, 08:12 AM   #36
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
OK now your scaring me. There must be a guide to fallow? What's a good one? Yes I have plenty of time.
I like the Waterway Guides but they won't tell you a lot about going off shore.

Waterway Guide | cruising guide, fuel pricing, navigation alerts and news for boaters and yacht enthusiasts
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:29 AM   #37
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
The waterway guides do often explain the inlets...yet they do tend to use the term "local knowledge needed" a bit too often for my taste...the phrase is a good flag to call the USCG or local assistance tower for fresh, exacting inlet info.

Other than that, going from sea buoy to sea buoy and reading depths doesn't require much of a "waterway type" guide I would think.

Coast Pilots (download from NOAA along with charts) are a good supplement to explain things such as weather for the region and issues involving warning areas, prohibited areas and traffic areas. A good idea as the last rocket launch from Wallops that I tried to watch was scrubbed for 24 hrs because some bozo boater was in the firing range.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 10:57 AM   #38
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
After you splash the boat in May, take a day trip to somewhere like Block Island as a "shakedown". Have someone knowledgeable about engines spend some time in engine room looking for leaks, checking temps, etc. Bounce the boat a bit to shake up the tanks and see if filters plug. Learn your fuel tank valves and learn how to change filters and reprime the engine should it starve out. Let the gennie run the whole time running boat systems.

Almost always you will come up with a list of things to fix during the shakedown. Give yourself a few days to fix things on the list and then hopefully get a weather window.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:17 AM   #39
Veteran Member

City: Louisville, KY
Vessel Name: Jessie
Vessel Model: 43' Marine Trader 49' Albin Tricabin
New Jersey and Delbay in May is nowhere's near that bad. I have been a professional and recreational captain in NJ for the last 15 years and grew up there.

While it CAN be bad...so can anyplace. The trick is not to have to enter an inlet or treacherous piece of water when the sh** is hitting the fan.

Hardly any part of the trip is death defying if you pick your weather and have a liferaft or dingy. I say that because until Norfolk...the water is still pretty cold to tread water any length of time.

Well, these are some of the issues that we seem to be avoiding. Death defying? NO! If you pick your weather ... or .... IF you know the dangers of the New Jersey inlets and .... if you know how to avoid having the sh#% hit the fan.

You are a captain and have years of knowledge and experience in those waters. He evidently has no experience in those waters. Nor does he fully understand the hazards if he is suggesting taking a 40+ year old unproven boat on a 1000 mile voyage that early in the season.

We can be friendly and polite. We can encourage him to save some time by staying outside. We can urge him to just study the charts, measure the shortest distance between two points and listen closely to NOAA weather reports .........

Or we can warn him that he may be getting in a little bit over his head until he has confidence that his boat (or his lack of knowledge or skills) won't put him right in the middle of that proverbial fan.

Scary trip? Nope, done all the time by raw beginners and no big deal except newbies errors.
Cuttyhunk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:31 AM   #40
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
The OP just got back from 3mo in the Bahamas on a 38footer. Does not sound too much like a novice to me.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote