Dingy TOWING BRIDLE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobnDoc

Veteran Member
I am looking for a ready made towing bridle for my Achilles 9’4” dingy.
I have more than a 100 ft of Samson 3/8” floating line to make a painter or the painter plus towing bridle if I can’t find a ready made
towing bridle. I don’t know how to braid the Samson double braid line around rings, snap hooks etc.
I live in the Seattle area and would welcome help.
Thanks in advance. Bob

Check West Marine

I have the same dinghy that I used to tow. Making up a towing bridle for it is fairly straightforward. Try to spread the load evenly over as many D-rings as possible.

I still lost dingy in rough breaking waves. Luckily the painter snapped rather than D rings being torn out, and the dinghy was returned in good condition several weeks later.
Now I carry the dingy on the roof.

I am looking for a ready made towing bridle for my Achilles 9’4” dingy.
I have more than a 100 ft of Samson 3/8” floating line to make a painter or the painter plus towing bridle if I can’t find a ready made
towing bridle. I don’t know how to braid the Samson double braid line around rings, snap hooks etc.
I live in the Seattle area and would welcome help.
Thanks in advance. Bob

Splicing double braid can be a pain. I have made up a towing bridle using three strand poly line and then attaching the Samson float line to it. Three strand poly is very cheap and easy to replace when the UV causes it to deteriorate after a few years.

OTOH, if you don't like fiddling with stuff, Defender has a three point tow bridle.

I made my own. Using 2 snap shackles to clip to each of the side "Ds", tied using 3 strand poly to an equidistant stainless steel ring in the middle,to which the towline clips, with another snap shackle.
You can connect with bowlines if you have to,they will hold fine. Mine did until the resident splicer got round to the job.

I used this on the back of my boat then ran 100ft line and single connection to the dink.

Attachments

• 81BZnTe76aL._SL1500_.jpg
    81BZnTe76aL._SL1500_.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 73
Thanks everyone!
You pretty much covered the waterfront from do-it-yourself to a range of pre-made and custom-made options.
Now all I have to do is make up my mind and get on with it.
Again, thanks. Bob

+1 to Ron's recommendation of Top Knot. They do a great job. They made a bridle for my Sea Ray, two lengths of tow line and a bridle to the dinghy for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom