Dingy Fuel Polishing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kev_rm

Vessel Name
Kismet
Through a series of errors and also lovely mother nature circumstances I ended up with a good chunk of water in my dingy gas tank... and due to some *lovely* weather system am few days away from any marina. Any tricks to get things cleaned up?

The only thing I came up with was to pump from top of external tank into outboard's internal tank using the hose and bulb. That seemed to work but is mess, takes a long time and I'm not sure I won't pump bad stuff as well towards the end.

Also what in the world am I supposed to do with the water/fuel waste!??

2 stroke outboard with 3 diesel racors on board if it matters.

Huh?....Dump the bad gas and replace with new..

Got a big funnel and 1 gallon water jug? Empty the water jug. Poor fuel from the external tank through the funnel into the water jug. Cap the jug and turn it upside down for a few minutes. Then turn it right side up. let it sit for a few hours. All the water will be at the bottom. Put a coffee filter in the funnel and then into the outboard fuel tank. Slowly poor fuel into the outboard. You should be able to see the water in the bottom of the jug so as not to let it go into the outboard.

Ted

I had similar buying used ob. Water in external tank. Used a glass beer pitcher to receive from tank. Let it settle and pour off gas into second tank, car, lawn mower etc. When you get to just water pour that into a pan and let it evaporate.

It takes 1/4 of a drop of water to stop a outboard and even if you strain off the water in the petrol their will still remain water saturated in the petrol which over a few weeks will settle out in the bottom of the tank. Its only a small tank just dump it and flush the tank twice Id hate to have a breakdown at 2am just because of saving a few gallons of petrol.

Got a big funnel and 1 gallon water jug? Empty the water jug. Poor fuel from the external tank through the funnel into the water jug. Cap the jug and turn it upside down for a few minutes. Then turn it right side up. let it sit for a few hours. All the water will be at the bottom. Put a coffee filter in the funnel and then into the outboard fuel tank. Slowly poor fuel into the outboard. You should be able to see the water in the bottom of the jug so as not to let it go into the outboard.

Ted

yes, thank you. I think the part that was confounding me was not being patient to let it settle long enough, a lot of what was coming out was cloudy/mixed.

It takes 1/4 of a drop of water to stop a outboard and even if you strain off the water in the petrol their will still remain water saturated in the petrol which over a few weeks will settle out in the bottom of the tank. Its only a small tank just dump it and flush the tank twice Id hate to have a breakdown at 2am just because of saving a few gallons of petrol.

Jesus I am not trying to save a few bucks, I am days away from fuel.

if you can use one of the racors, it's filter will do a good enough job stopping any water from gettin to the output.

Wifey B: Where the heck are you to be days away from the nearest marina and days away from any gas station on land? :confused:

Wifey B: Where the heck are you to be days away from the nearest marina and days away from any gas station on land? :confused:

At anchor in a weather system blowing NE 30kt for four plus days.

c2lKORC.png

You?

Last edited:
if you can use one of the racors, it's filter will do a good enough job stopping any water from gettin to the output.

I wondered about this.
I have several 500fg's and filters that I acquired over the years.
One will end up on genset in favour of the spin on and I was wondering if one on the dinghy transom as a primary filter would work.

Racor said no but gave no reason as to why apart from it says diesel in the catalogue.

So it looks like you are out cruising, in an anchorage with weather keeping you from moving and even if you moved your days away from the closest marina to fix the problem??

Honestly, friend.....that was not AT ALL apparent from the original post. In fact it looks like most misunderstood you r situation.

I'm sure this is frustrating, but maybe consider that your communication is at the root of the confusion and not multiple folks who are misunderstanding as they try to help you.

The gas should sit above the water if allowed to settle. You can open the drain on the bottom of the carb and drain the water until you get into fuel.

If you haven't run the engine, you may start with gas from teh fuel bowl first, then it should turn to water, then back to gas again. If you have any startron or similar, then load some up as well. Shake and see where that gets you.

Do you have a felt hat or a chamois? (it has to be a real leather one). If so, use it as a funnel. Water will not pass through it but the gasoline will. The felt will pass some fibres and will need to be filtered if it is a fuel injected motor, the chamois will not pass any fibres.

We always carried a felt for a Beaver and a chamois for a 185 when we were flying in the bush, were way out in the dingles and needed to fuel from drums. I guarantee it will work.

Honestly, friend.....that was not AT ALL apparent from the original post. In fact it looks like most misunderstood you r situation.

First paragraph...........

"and due to some *lovely* weather system am few days away from any marina."

First paragraph...........

"and due to some *lovely* weather system am few days away from any marina."

I went back and picked up on that after a few others had made the same mistake, prior to my posting. I'm just pointing out that several people had the same misunderstanding. It's hard to blame multiple people for the same misunderstanding the communication.

Many Thanks

I`m not religious but many are. kev rm, I doubt stating a post with what some regard as blasphemy did you any favors.

I'm still quite confused. If it's unfit to move in your boat, then it surely is unfit to move in your dinghy so why do the days matter? When the weather conditions improve and you'd be able to use the dinghy, you won't be days away from fuel. I don't know your personal sea tolerance, but right now holding close to the islands, you could circle around to marinas as the rough seas are East of where you'd go. Still, I understand your reluctance to move at the moment, but then not, given those circumstances why the dinghy can't wait until you can. I can't imagine trying to play with filtering the fuel if the conditions are unfit for moving the main boat. Winds are calming between now and Monday morning and more each day. Sea conditions doing the same.

I'm still quite confused. If it's unfit to move in your boat, then it surely is unfit to move in your dinghy so why do the days matter? When the weather conditions improve and you'd be able to use the dinghy, you won't be days away from fuel. I don't know your personal sea tolerance, but right now holding close to the islands, you could circle around to marinas as the rough seas are East of where you'd go. Still, I understand your reluctance to move at the moment, but then not, given those circumstances why the dinghy can't wait until you can. I can't imagine trying to play with filtering the fuel if the conditions are unfit for moving the main boat. Winds are calming between now and Monday morning and more each day. Sea conditions doing the same.

Could be as simple as anchored on the leeward side (protected from waves) of the island and still need to ferry the 4 legged crew to shore for head calls.

Ted

Wow, the OP's request seemed pretty clear to me. Socked in by weather and wanting to clean up fuel for his dinghy. What do all the questions/challenges about saving money or the need for a dinghy have to do with it?

A few years ago a fellow boater suffered a similar fate. We gave him 2 gallons or so of clean gas from our onboard jerry can.

Could be as simple as anchored on the leeward side (protected from waves) of the island and still need to ferry the 4 legged crew to shore for head calls.

Ted

Could be, but until he clarifies, I'll remain mystified.

Non ethanol gas filtered through a cloth or coffee filter will usually separate the gas. You will see able to see the water collect at bottom. I have never tried it with ethanol gas.

Wow, the OP's request seemed pretty clear to me. Socked in by weather and wanting to clean up fuel for his dinghy. What do all the questions/challenges about saving money or the need for a dinghy have to do with it?

+1

The diesel Racors will work to knock the water out. Gasoline generally consists of smaller molecules than diesel, so it should flow through the filters with just gravity flow.

Good luck!

When gas engines were common in the 50-70's in many boats Bronze fuel filters , that could be drained , or taken apart to service were the norm.

EZ enough to put in line for an outboard , and they do trap water quite well.

Might want to re-read my post - Can't just go get new fuel days away from a dock.
Are you in the middle of the ocean?

You may be a few days away from your chosen dock but isn't there someplace you could stop and take care of this situation?

Remove cover of outboard. Look for fuel line. It will be clear, probably 1/4". Remove lower end of fuel line.

If it is too short to be useful, shove it into a larger diameter hose so that you can feed the fuel away from the engine.

Ideally you'll have an empty gallon container someplace aboard. Maybe from when you do oil changes... otherwise find a plastic garbage can and a place to tuck it away safely when underway. The bigger the container, the better. An old cooler that you can replace might be okay too. Be sure to close the drain at the bottom!!

If you're concerned about gas sloshing out when crossing, find an icky blanket and put it in the container. The fluid will absorb into the fabric and should help keep the sloshing down.

Open petcock (if you have one)

Otherwise, hopefully you have an electronic fuel pump aboard your boat. Wire it up to the fuel line and turn it on. It should remove all the fuel from the tank. Start fresh.

Maybe!

And good luck.

Just suggestions for alternate solutions.

The original post wasn't all that clear to everyone. The second post made it better but several people had already replied. I was going to suggest calling TowBoatUS or SeaTow. They will bring you fuel. Probably not where he is though.

I know I would have a hard time separating water and gasoline on my boat because I don't carry the equipment to do that. I keep my gasoline in containers that don't let water in.

And lastly, if the OP simply must use his dinghy to take his dog to shore (or whatever) and has no clean fuel, rowing might work. Does the dinghy have oars?

"Does the dinghy have oars?"

These are Yachts! with big noisemakers for grand living!

Oars ? on board , horrors!

Back
Top Bottom