Dinghy Tow Rigging

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rslifkin

Guru
Vessel Name
Hour Glass
Vessel Make
Chris Craft 381 Catalina
We just picked up a dinghy the other day, but have yet to install davits on the boat. So for the rest of the season, I'm thinking we'll be stuck towing it. We might be able to tip it onto the swim platform and strap it in place, but that will be a pain, so in good conditions, it's probably better avoided. Realistically, I don't expect to get up on plane with the dinghy back there, although if I find it tracks well enough and I can lengthen the tow enough, it might be an option for a short period of time.

The dinghy in question is a 12 foot aluminum Starcraft, about 150 lbs. I've got parts on the way to install a stronger bow eye, as the factory one seems a little short in the strength department (cast aluminum mounted with a single 3/8" galvanized stud pressed into it). So there's only a single tow point on the front of the dinghy.

What are you guys thinking is the best way to rig some form of bridle off the stern cleats for it? Ideally it'll be easy to adjust the length of the tow from the mothership. And what would be best to use for material (ideally that I can find locally, rather than waiting for shipping)? I've got an extra 60 feet of 3/8" MFP floatline sitting around, plus assorted dock lines, etc. and whatever is in stock at the local West Marine or the marina's ship store.

Any thoughts / ideas are appreciated.

Sounds like you are on the right track. With prolonged or extended towing, chafe is your enemy at all the connection points.

Sounds like you are on the right track. With prolonged or extended towing, chafe is your enemy at all the connection points.

Chafe has been the biggest concern in my mind. Using a sliding bridle to allow easy length adjustment would be simple, but it makes avoiding chafe hard compared to a fixed bridle where I can build in chafe protection.

Back
Top Bottom