Dinghy sling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbtapper

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Lady Maria
Vessel Make
1987 CT 35 Sundeck
Any one have experience with these new net sling sort of set up that allows you to carry your dink on the swim platform or on the transom?
I like the idea of non invasive attachment and my Porta bot would seem to work well with the set up. Not too interested in davits or such that don’t look fair to my eye and of course cost thousands $$$

You mean like this?

Picked it up on eBay for $50.

Attachments

• Dink Net.jpg
    Dink Net.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 159
Yep that looks what I’m interested in?Wow, pretty good deal. Guess I need to watch ebay.
Any comments on its use and how it actually works?

Thanks

You mean like this?

Picked it up on eBay for $50.

Hi, Al.

I can’t see from the photo, but is FlyWright’s name on the bottom of the dink and, if so, does the net obscure it? (I had a cop pull me over on I95 because my empty bike rack “obscured” my license plate. I went to court and got it dismissed, but Barney Fife’s do happen.)

(BTW, the cap light works great. I use it all the time. Thanks again.)

Hi, Al.

I can’t see from the photo, but is FlyWright’s name on the bottom of the dink and, if so, does the net obscure it? (I had a cop pull me over on I95 because my empty bike rack “obscured” my license plate. I went to court and got it dismissed, but Barney Fife’s do happen.)

If FlyWright is a USCG documented vessel, I doubt that a LEO would/could enforce the displayed name rule. If it isn’t documented, then the state laws, which usually just require registration numbers on the bow, would apply.

Oddly enough, as near as I can tell a dinghy that is obscuring your name on the stern is not a violation of the USCG documentation requirements.

Yep that looks what I’m interested in?Wow, pretty good deal. Guess I need to watch ebay.
Any comments on its use and how it actually works?

Thanks

It works great for me. I've been using one for years with my 9.5 Achilles shown above. I had to replace the first one after a couple of years due to UV deterioration. I bought another identical one and sprayed it with a UV protectant. I use my Garhauer lifting davit to hoist the motor onto its mount and assist in pulling the dink upright on the swimstep.

Tomorrow I launch my new 3.3M dink which is a bit wider than the Achilles. I might have to add line extensions to the corners to span the greater volume.

Hi, Al.

No name on the bottom, and yes, FlyWright is documented. When I'm in my slip, my transom faces USCG Station Vallejo about 60 ft away. They back up to my boat every day getting out of their slip and have never mentioned a thing when the dink is on the swimstep. Usually this is only during the warm weather cruising months when I'm using the dink as a SUV in support of my cruising the SF Bay and CA Delta. Other times, it sits high and dry on my new dink float in my slip and the transom is unobstructed. Never had an issue underway, either.

Glad you like the caplight and find it useful, Ian! I have a couple on my boat and at home. Great when you need light plus two hands.

Cheers!

Is it more than a conventional cargo net?

Great application for one....

Nope...just a strong canvas cargo net. I'll be on the boat and might still have the label on the storage bag. If so, I'll post a picture.

Attachments

• 20180419_093209.jpg
    20180419_093209.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 63
  • 20180419_093221.jpg
    20180419_093221.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
I looked up my purchase and found that I bought it on Amazon. At the present time, this product is not available.

For years, until I bought a RIB and had to get a davit system, I carried an air floor like this on my swim step by attaching two lines to the platform, threading the lines through an eyelet and then back to the boat (picture attached). Did this for 4 years on my Tiara running at 18+kts and 2 on my GB and never had an issue.

Attachments

• file-8 (002).jpeg
    file-8 (002).jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 58
Back
Top Bottom