Old 06-24-2021, 10:38 PM   #1
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Dinghy Recommendations

I’m looking to replace my current RIB. I know exactly what I want. Highfield CL310 with a FCT-7 console rigged with a 20hp Tahatsu motor with electric tilt and start. Also want it rigged with SeaWise attachments to go with my SeaWise davits.

I want the total package to be about 400lb.

The problem is that the Highfield dealer in my area won’t return my texts, emails, web inquiries, or phone calls. They are busy. I know they don’t have any in stock, but that is fine. I’d like it order one, or at least talk to them. No luck.

So, what would be another alternative manufacturer that would meet the same criterion?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:00 PM   #2
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Finding a new dinghy is extremely challenging at the moment; I've been bouncing between different Highfield models and one AB that briefly appeared on the scene. In the end I was able to secure a Highfield 360 Sport with a 30 HP Suzuki, but it came close to not happening. I'm in Canada so doubt my contacts would help you though. Good luck with your search!
(There's little to nothing in the used market as well.)
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 11:53 PM   #3

City: PNW
Vessel Model: Great Harbour GH37
Dinghy Recommendations

Checkpoint Marine in Abbotsford BC has some. I had the same experience with the Seattle dealer and got mine across the border right before it closed last spring.
dbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:14 AM   #4
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbles View Post
Checkpoint Marine in Abbotsford BC has some. I had the same experience with the Seattle dealer and got mine across the border right before it closed last spring.
Checkpoint Marine is where I found mine via Boatland in Campbell River.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:20 AM   #5
Guru

Unfortunately, it looks like the border is going to remain closed for a while. Not sure if I’d be able to get it across the border at this point.

I’m not even in all that much of a hurry, but just want to get the process started. I’ll see if I can check with them though and see what is possible.

If the Highfield isn’t going to be possible, then I’m thinking about an AB Alumina….

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-25-2021, 05:35 AM   #6
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
The problem is that the Highfield dealer in my area won’t return my texts, emails, web inquiries, or phone calls. They are busy. I know they don’t have any in stock, but that is fine. I’d like it order one, or at least talk to them. No luck.

Visit his shop in person?

-Chris
Old 06-25-2021, 07:05 AM   #7
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Hi Dave,

We have been happy with our AB, now a bit over 3 years old. There have been ZERO disappointments with the quality and performance of the boat. The shape of the hull is particularly good, providing an exceptional ride. Our Lammina AL 9.5 is not as featured as the one you are looking at, but I believe the hull shape will be the same. If I were purchasing today, I would choose the Alumina over the Lammina AL. Ours was sourced at Waypoint Marine Group, who were recommended by a dear friend and great to work with.

If you want to try ours out, send me a PM and we’ll make it happen.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:27 AM   #8
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Dave,

I had narrowed it down to the Highfield 310 and an AB. Defender Marine had a great deal on a 10 AL Lamina, 128 lbs so thats what we went with.

We also bought a 20 HP manual start, no tilt Tohatsu, weight 95 lbs. Just got the package in the water last week and it seems to be perfect for us. Our crane is rated for 600 lbs and I wanted to stay at half that or less. I figure with the 3 gallon tank (will get a six), anchor, lifejackets etc. I am around 265 lbs.

Not exactly what you want but it should give a good Idea. I have seen two AB's the same model as ours two or less years old on Craigslist in the last several months... You would have to add the console and motor. Might be an option.

Rob
Old 06-25-2021, 09:54 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRENE View Post
Hi Dave,

We have been happy with our AB, now a bit over 3 years old. There have been ZERO disappointments with the quality and performance of the boat. The shape of the hull is particularly good, providing an exceptional ride. Our Lammina AL 9.5 is not as featured as the one you are looking at, but I believe the hull shape will be the same. If I were purchasing today, I would choose the Alumina over the Lammina AL. Ours was sourced at Waypoint Marine Group, who were recommended by a dear friend and great to work with.

If you want to try ours out, send me a PM and we’ll make it happen.

It has been Waypoint Marine Group that I’ve been trying to get in touch with. I’ll try calling again today. I was given the cell phone for Todd Dart, who apparently runs their inflatables business. I have texted him and emailed him. I’ll spam his cell phone today and see if I get a reply. I’ve heard good things about them and they handle the boats as well as the SeaWise davits. They are also one of the closest to me. All reasons why they would be the perfect place to deal with.

I know they don’t have any inventory right now which is understandable. I’m also sure that they are swamped with work this time of year. Still, it would be nice too get a response.

Dave

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-25-2021, 11:40 AM   #10
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
It must be nice to be able to just "ignore" business opportunities???
However, from your descriptions it makes perfect sense why you want to deal with them.
Old 06-25-2021, 12:01 PM   #11

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Hooked
Vessel Model: Wellcraft/Riviera 400 Coastal
A good friend has had the same problem with Waypointe as what your experiencing. I would call NW Inflatables in Gig Harbor. I purchased my AB Lammina AL 10 from them and they treated me great. He is getting some boats in from what the heard recently but containers are backed up in the West Coast Ports slowing deliveries. Regarding the Highfield, definitely a good boat, however one of my cruising friends has one less than 5 years old and the paint is peeling off the inside bottom. He likes the boat but not the paint. I really love my AB, great boat and I went with the raw aluminum so as not to have the paint problem. Just my preference. Good luck
JSK55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 12:34 PM   #12

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: Ripple
Vessel Model: 2005 Grand Banks 42 EU
These guys patched my zodiac last august in less than a week, even though they were obviously very busy selling new boats as fast as they came in. Tiny little place in Fife. Not sure what all they carry. Worth a try
https://www.pacificinflatableboats.com/
NWboater2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 10:45 PM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSK55 View Post
A good friend has had the same problem with Waypointe as what your experiencing. I would call NW Inflatables in Gig Harbor. I purchased my AB Lammina AL 10 from them and they treated me great. He is getting some boats in from what the heard recently but containers are backed up in the West Coast Ports slowing deliveries. Regarding the Highfield, definitely a good boat, however one of my cruising friends has one less than 5 years old and the paint is peeling off the inside bottom. He likes the boat but not the paint. I really love my AB, great boat and I went with the raw aluminum so as not to have the paint problem. Just my preference. Good luck

Funny you should mention this….

This morning I once again called Waypoint and left a message. I then called NW Inflatables and left a message with Steve Elliot. He called me back about 30 minutes later.

I explained what I wanted to do and what I was looking for. He gave me some ideas but promised to send an email with some options. He had to go because the customer that he was delivering a new AB ALX to had just arrived.

This evening I got an email where he laid out 5 possible combinations, including price, and total weight rigged. He also gave me rough dates that they would be available. Huge difference in the responsiveness!

I think he won himself a customer.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-25-2021, 10:54 PM   #14
Guru

Two dinghy questions….

One of the things that Steve Elliot of NW Inflatables mentioned to me when I told him that I wanted to store the dinghy both on my Seawise davits as well as up on the boat deck via crane, was that aluminum RIBs can develop problems when stored on their side like with the SeaWise or Weaver Davit systems. He said that water will collect inside the boat and pool on the down side of the boat at the tube/hull interface. Over time the aluminum can corrode and the tub and hull can separate.

He said this may take 6 years to happen, if it does, and that it is repairable if it does but is about a $1,000 repair job to fix. For this reason, he doesn’t recommend AL hulled ribs for those types of davits.

I had not heard of this before and I was hoping for the lighter weight of a AL hull. Anyone else hear of this? I certainly have no reason not to trust his opinion. He can get either type of boat in the same time frame and I’d assume his margins are the same either way. However, if I can avoid a potential issue, I’d rather do that and stick with a FGP hull.

Second question: Given my weight concerns, he offered the suggestion of putting a Weaver Helm Seat in an open rib. He has done a number of these and he sent me photos of a variety of boats that he has rigged this way. The weight and cost savings is pretty significant.

What experiences have any of you had with the Weaver Helm Seat or its clones? Do they drive well, stand up well, etc….

Dave

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-26-2021, 12:10 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
Two dinghy questions….

One of the things that Steve Elliot of NW Inflatables mentioned to me when I told him that I wanted to store the dinghy both on my Seawise davits as well as up on the boat deck via crane, was that aluminum RIBs can develop problems when stored on their side like with the SeaWise or Weaver Davit systems. He said that water will collect inside the boat and pool on the down side of the boat at the tube/hull interface. Over time the aluminum can corrode and the tub and hull can separate.

He said this may take 6 years to happen, if it does, and that it is repairable if it does but is about a $1,000 repair job to fix. For this reason, he doesn’t recommend AL hulled ribs for those types of davits.

I had not heard of this before and I was hoping for the lighter weight of a AL hull. Anyone else hear of this? I certainly have no reason not to trust his opinion. He can get either type of boat in the same time frame and I’d assume his margins are the same either way. However, if I can avoid a potential issue, I’d rather do that and stick with a FGP hull.

Second question: Given my weight concerns, he offered the suggestion of putting a Weaver Helm Seat in an open rib. He has done a number of these and he sent me photos of a variety of boats that he has rigged this way. The weight and cost savings is pretty significant.

What experiences have any of you had with the Weaver Helm Seat or its clones? Do they drive well, stand up well, etc….

Dave
Dave
You may have already seen my posts on this subject, but I will say it again:
My Caribe 12DL with a Honda 40, console, steering wheel, steering connections, shifter connections, battery connections, tachometer, fuel gauge, full fuel, horn, switches navigation lights, paddle, tube pump, bilge pump, fender, anchor, anchor line, gps, antennas, sounder/plotter, sounder transducer, radio, battery, flares, heaving line, cushions, prawn puller, puller mount, bait, beer holder, sponge, ladder, and whatever else I have forgotten to list, weighs in at 750# or more.
When I bought it, from a TF seller, 10 years ago, it had spent a few years on a Seawise davit system. Now, 10 years in, I am facing a significant repair of the Fibreglass at the stern where the Seawise attached, as the total weight of the dinghy was far too much for the side mounting.
My conclusion: Don't go with Sidewise mounting on any dinghy exceeding the maximum weight published by Seawise, after you add in all of the extras that the dinghy will inevitably acquire.
Old 06-26-2021, 12:30 AM   #16
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Dave, it's nice to see you back here.

I'm glad I got my new Highfield 340UL a few months ago in the dark days of winter and pandemic. The big dealer I bought it from is now taking orders for 2022 on many models. It's been a whipsaw year. But hopefully they're giving their customers better service than you've received. The boat has so far exceeded my expectations.

At a glance, the weaver unit looks like a close cousin of the Highfield FCT unit. I'd assume similar functional capabilities, but have no direct experience. Maybe there's one you can sit in/on and touch and feel.

I'd listen to the advice about the issue on the AL boats. The dealers see boats coming back when there's a problem.

Maybe give up electric tilt/start to cover the heavier FG hull? Weight adds up...
Jeff F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 12:38 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Yakima
You're dealer gave you good advice. I have an AB aluminum dinghy tilted on my swim step. At approximately 6 years after purchase, it started to leak at the fabric/aluminum seam. I had it repaired, but now about 5 years later it looks like I have the same leak starting again. I don't remember the cost of the repair, but it was nowhere near $1000.
Norwester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 11:51 AM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwester View Post
You're dealer gave you good advice. I have an AB aluminum dinghy tilted on my swim step. At approximately 6 years after purchase, it started to leak at the fabric/aluminum seam. I had it repaired, but now about 5 years later it looks like I have the same leak starting again. I don't remember the cost of the repair, but it was nowhere near $1000.

Thanks. Confirms what he told me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Dave

You may have already seen my posts on this subject, but I will say it again:

My conclusion: Don't go with Sidewise mounting on any dinghy exceeding the maximum weight published by Seawise, after you add in all of the extras that the dinghy will inevitably acquire.

Hi Keith,

Yeah, I recall that story now. My Seawise Davit is rated for 450lbs. The boat combination that I’m looking at going with supposedly is 395 lbs fully rigged with boat, motor, battery, console, and fuel. My goal was ~400lbs. I was looking at aluminum hulls as that would shave about 30lbs off the weight, but it looks like I’ll be sticking with fiberglass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
Dave, it's nice to see you back here.

I'm glad I got my new Highfield 340UL a few months ago in the dark days of winter and pandemic. The big dealer I bought it from is now taking orders for 2022 on many models. It's been a whipsaw year. But hopefully they're giving their customers better service than you've received. The boat has so far exceeded my expectations.

At a glance, the weaver unit looks like a close cousin of the Highfield FCT unit. I'd assume similar functional capabilities, but have no direct experience. Maybe there's one you can sit in/on and touch and feel.

I'd listen to the advice about the issue on the AL boats. The dealers see boats coming back when there's a problem.

Maybe give up electric tilt/start to cover the heavier FG hull? Weight adds up...

Thanks Jeff. I have been really impressed with the Highfield boats, but looks like I’ll be going with an AB. My thought was the same as yours, that the Weaver is much like the FCT and the St. Croix lightweight systems.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-26-2021, 12:40 PM   #19
Guru

City: Warwick RI
Vessel Name: Lollygag
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
I just had this conversation w a dock mate. He stated that there was extremely limited inventory and no ETA on when he could expect to get what he was looking for. Hypalon, steering wheel, 11.5 etc. he is hoping the current ding makes it through the season
Lollygag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 03:37 PM   #20
Guru

I just put a deposit down on an AB 10vs rib with a 20hp Tahatsu motor.

What a difference. I called and left a message yesterday morning. Got a call back within 30 minutes. Got an email presenting me with a half dozen options with cost, projected delivery date, and weight. In it, he gave me useful information applicable to my situation and needs.

This morning I sent a reply to his email, letting him know what boat package I was interested in. He called me 20 minutes after I sent it and answered more questions and made some suggestions. We finalized the deal and I gave him a deposit.

Unfortunately, this type of responsiveness has not been the norm when trying to get information from vendors and skilled professionals in the marine industry.

Sure it has only been a day and a half, but Steve Elliot from NW Inflatables has impressed me so far.

Dave
SPOT page