Dinghy decision 2 stroke vs 4 stroke

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Though a 2 stroke is lighter and less complicated, I would not want one. Noise, smoke, smell, mixing oil to fuel.

I would choose a console to tiller also.

I prefer fiberglass tenders to rubber dinghys. Hard to install downrigger, pot pullers, rod holders and other accessories. The tubes take up too much space, sitting on the tubes is no joy. Hard bottom inflatables require service of the joint between the tube material and ridgid bottom interface. Tubes can leak and the tubes will eventually be replaced. One has to be careful with knives, hooks, crab and other sharp hazards. Larger inflatables 12' + are better suited but still have the above issues.

Fiberglass tenders are low maintenance, lighter (depends on brand) and you can mount pullers, downriggers and other accessories. And they just look better than a rubber dink. The larger inflatables over 15 feet look great but the crammed under 14 foot inflatables are funny looking to me.

I carry a custom 12' Sterling Sea Skiff center console FG tender with a 20 hp 4 stroke Tohatsu. It has mounts for rod holders, pot puller and downrigger. It has a depth sounder, color chart plotter/VHF, 50 watt stereo with box speakers.

We carry the tender on the roof of our 40' boat.

You would think that a 49 foot Alvin should be able to carry a tender bigger than 11 feet.

Last edited:
If you are going to do much cruising with the dinghy, I would get the console. Particularly if you have any back issues. As long as your davit can handle the weight I would go 4 stroke. If you are having to mount and unmount the motor then maybe a 2 stroke for the weight savings.

To me it’s not a matter of what’s best.
I’ve been having troubles choosing cars based on what’s considered to be best (examp toyota) but I’m getting to the point where I’m thinking maybe choosing what I like is actually the smart thing to do. Drove an old Jaguar for over a year before it went mechanically south. But that was a very long time ago and I’m still very much enjoying the memories.
So re 2S or 4S OB I’d say consider the differences you can’t live with/without and go for what you like.
Re small outboards I much prefer 2S as they run so smooth and relatively quiet. Sure the 4S is very quiet at idle. But how much do you use the OB at an idle?
And weight is frequently an issue so if you must have high hp on a small boat the 2S is far better. OR if you need to carry it.
But what you want is most important .. unless something else is.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    7.9 KB · Views: 251
I'm in the same boat, LOL,
My caribe 9 ft dinghy won't hold the glue for the weaver davits
so I'm bringing down a 10ft Lund aluminum fishing boat.
Hopefully they can make hinges to tip it on the transom of
a 3818 Bayliner.
9 hp 2 st evinrude or a 4 hp 4st Merc. both weigh the same.
which would better ?
I'm leaning to the 4 hp, no mixing

I'm in the same boat, LOL,
My caribe 9 ft dinghy won't hold the glue for the weaver davits
so I'm bringing down a 10ft Lund aluminum fishing boat.
Hopefully they can make hinges to tip it on the transom of
a 3818 Bayliner.
9 hp 2 st evinrude or a 4 hp 4st Merc. both weigh the same.
which would better ?
I'm leaning to the 4 hp, no mixing

Weaver makes a davit or two that will work on a aluminum or fiberglass dinghy.

thanks, Saunders tried to glue the catch on to the Caribe and
it failed 3 times. Decided to try an aluminum Lund.
I actually feel safer in it, No chance to deflate.

Dinghy selection is full of compromises.

If all you want to do is go ashore, get groceries, sightseeing in a protected harbor, a small dink would be fine. If you need to remove the motor when the dinghy is stored, a 2 stroke is lighter and easier to lift.

If you fish, or go longer distances or plan on going outside the harbor, a bigger tender with console will be better suited. A smaller tender could be OK but it will be wet and uncomfortable.

Get the biggest, most seaworthy tender you can carry.

Prawn/shrimp pot puller.

We don't have lobster in the NW.

SE boaters would more likely pull bales of pot out of the water with those things. But, you are talking about traps, right? Is there a pix of a dink with one or two of these mounted? They look almost too big to lift my dink.

SE boaters would more likely pull bales of pot out of the water with those things. But, you are talking about traps, right? Is there a pix of a dink with one or two of these mounted? They look almost too big to lift my dink.

It's not my boat or me but this is what it looks like.

Attachments

• ace.jpg
    ace.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 373
You mention 'we' If it's your wife she will greatly appreciate the grab rail on a console when stepping off the dock onto a bouncy RIB. It's not an elegant boarding process. I would love to have a console just to be able to sit normally.

You mention 'we' If it's your wife she will greatly appreciate the grab rail on a console when stepping off the dock onto a bouncy RIB. It's not an elegant boarding process. I would love to have a console just to be able to sit normally.

Most consoles on RIB's less than 14 foot are not very tall and the grab rail not much taller.

I built a tall center console for my 12' tender with a tall rail for that exact reason. My wife unties the dinghy from the swim step or dock and steps into the tender, holding on to the rail. She also hangs on to the rail when stepping off the tender and has the painter in her hand.

Attachments

• 20190801_140448_resized_1.jpg
    20190801_140448_resized_1.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20190801_135017_resized_1.jpg
    20190801_135017_resized_1.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 42
  • 20190801_134948_resized_1.jpg
    20190801_134948_resized_1.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 40
Most consoles on RIB's less than 14 foot are not very tall and the grab rail not much taller.

I built a tall center console for my 12' tender with a tall rail for that exact reason. My wife unties the dinghy from the swim step or dock and steps into the tender, holding on to the rail. She also hangs on to the rail when stepping off the tender and has the painter in her hand.

The standard console on my 12'er is at the perfect height for embarkation from the Starboard side. As there is a seat beside the console to port, not so good. Hence I frequently dock with the Sb side to the dock for the ease of passengers.

Mine is older, so not as shiny, but the basics are the same as this:https://www.inautia.com/boat-new-ri...l12-new-43893090110551574950526754684565.html

The step up on the bow is also handy for embarkation. Remarkably stable, very close to the dock when bow in.

The step up on the bow is also handy for embarkation. Remarkably stable, very close to the dock when bow in.

Yes, my wife steps on the raised bow platform to get on or off the tender while hanging on to the rail over the console.

Choose the style your bride is most comfortable operating solo.

She will delight in the freedom.

My wife is not allowed to read this thread. We have a 40 year old Avon with a tiller 2 stroke smoker, that has a slow leak, plywood floorboards, one warped badly, others epoxied together. ON a good day, she has the ability to hold onto the bow painter, as a passenger. As a driver, she puts up with incessant water spray from a hypalon handle semi-submerged just under the driver. OTOH, the boat has towed larger boats to safety, has retrieved heat exchangers from foreign radiator shop thru inlets subject to 8 foot seas from a nearby hurricane. It has taken us to a beach that contained an Atlas rocket stuck into the sand. It is like a old, dysfunctional grandpa that leaks. We love it and would not trade it for the world. We have replaced everything else around it, but it survives.

Okay, does Sterling Boats not have a website? What am I missing?

Okay, does Sterling Boats not have a website? What am I missing?

The gentleman that owned Sterling sold the molds for the hulls and retired.

Defiance Boats in Bremerton, WA purchased the molds.

They have not started producing the Sea Skiffs.

I have been in contact with them about producing the bare hull 12'

I used to buy bare hulls from Sterling, make and install the console, have the seat, windshield and SS grab bar made and installed and sold it with or without the motor.

Defiance wants my console mold or a copy of the console. Their console is not as tall and roomy.

I will get in touch with them in September to see where they are at.

My hull was an one-off. I had Sterling substitute 60% of the lamination with high end fabrics for weight reduction and stiffness. We took the mold to Arima Boats in Auburn, WA, before they went out of business, for the laminating. Sterling used bathtub and hot tub manufacturers to laminate their hulls and they did not use any advanced fabrics.

diver dave, post 47, that sounds like a properly used dinghy! I hope ours gets used to the point of having those kinds of stories someday.

I am a fan of keeping it simple with tiller steering on the dingy. But I would go 4 stroke for sure. The number one reason is they are way cleaner, and put less oil into the water, which I especially care about in the close to shore waters you use the dingy in. The second reason is the 4 strokes are way quieter, which greatly adds to my enjoyment, and those around me while using the dingy. I upgraded my dingy a couple years ago to a 15hp pull start Suzuki that I absolutely love. With the fuel injection it starts first pull every time (Actually second pull, as the first short pull engages some sort of easy start mode.) The other thing I really like about it it that it idles perfectly, for as long as you want, unlike every other outboard I have ever owned.

IF its just to get to shore an electric 12v trolling motor (craigs list?) is quiet , oil free and reliable. Light weight and probably not going to abscond.

Faster than rowing , but no water skiers!

Last edited:
The gentleman that owned Sterling sold the molds for the hulls and retired.

Defiance Boats in Bremerton, WA purchased the molds.

They have not started producing the Sea Skiffs.

I have been in contact with them about producing the bare hull 12'

I used to buy bare hulls from Sterling, make and install the console, have the seat, windshield and SS grab bar made and installed and sold it with or without the motor.

Defiance wants my console mold or a copy of the console. Their console is not as tall and roomy.

I will get in touch with them in September to see where they are at.

My hull was an one-off. I had Sterling substitute 60% of the lamination with high end fabrics for weight reduction and stiffness. We took the mold to Arima Boats in Auburn, WA, before they went out of business, for the laminating. Sterling used bathtub and hot tub manufacturers to laminate their hulls and they did not use any advanced fabrics.

What does your model weigh? Looks ideal to me. I am in the group that prefers a console design because I see the dinghy role more as exploration than just getting to the dinghy dock. What is the best way for me to keep in tough with you on this project? Thank you.

The Sterling does look nice. Here on the east coast I particularly admire the Sturdee Boat Amesbury Dory. If we ever changed from our Whaler, that's what I'd get next. While we're debating dinghy engines configurations, let me add that for us, a bimini is a must-have, which these accommodate.

https://stur-deeboat.com/amesbury-dory/

1.jpg

The bare hull weighs 165# - measured on scale.

Console 20#
Steering 28#
Throttle and shift plus cables 23#
Tohatsu 20 138#
Gas 54#
Battery 40#

468# total estimated

514 # actual with 5 gallons of gas.

PM me and as soon as I get home, will see what Defiance is doing with the molds.

I tried to purchase the 12' and 14' Sea Skiff molds but the owner wanted to sell all 9 molds as a package.

These molds have been owned by at least 4 owners in the past 30 years with different names.

The 12' SeaSkiff is very seaworthy and stable. Not as stable as a 12' Bullfrog but the BF weighs a lot more. I've been out salmon fishing in Johnstone and Queen Charollette sounds in some pretty nasty water with the SeaSkiff. Pulled up prawn pots from 400' down in some really big seas also.

My davit system is yet to be determined/purchased/fabricated so we can go a lot of different ways there.

I'd want to solve this first... then pick dinghy/engine setup.

My preference would be for a console and 4-stroke, but only if the carry/launch/recovery system supports that.

-Chris

I'd get the dink first.

Our first dinghy on Sandpiper was a 10' Livingston with a 15hp 2 stroke Evinrude. Weighed 220#.

Ordered a Nick Jackson 500# pipe davit.

Bought a Sterling SeaSkiff 12' - no console. Weighed 265# plus the Evinrude. Total weight 345#

Had the light SeaSkiff built - 165# hull weight plus Tohatsu 20 hp 4 stroke. I foolishley did'nt account for the weight of the steering system, throttle cables, windscreen, SS grab rail so my estimate for total weight was 394#

Actual weight ended up being 514# so I had to order the next size davit!

The whole point of my SeaSkiff hull laminated with advanced fabric for weight saving was to retain the 500# davit. The advanced lightweight fabrics added almost 30% to the cost of the hull!

Last edited:

I have Sterling console dinghy as well, although mine wasn't a one-off and I assume made by the bathtub guys...

Same set up with a 20 hp Taihatsu. It is an excellent unit and we use the heck out of it. We live aboard but at a marina, and while in port like to take evening marina cruises just looking at boats and chatting with others along the way.

Out on the hook, it is the main transport to the tiki bar or for taking the dogs to shore 8 times a day... The power tilt is great to have. I bought it from a guy here in the midwest that used to have a large sailboat in Washington state and this was his dink. Had never seen one before. I added a bilge pump and a electrical switch panel with voltage meter, 12v lighter plug (use it to charge battery with small solar charger if necessary) and USB chargers.

I also added the double 42" seat and switched the fuel tank from a 3 gal to a 6 gal.

I would be interested in a windshield if you have them available...

I tow the dinghy with a custom telescoping bridle which allows me to actually maneuver in tight areas including in and out of the marina and while setting/retrieving the hook.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1564271168107.jpg
    FB_IMG_1564271168107.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 33
  • 20190726_115934.jpg
    20190726_115934.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20180913_141013_HDR.jpg
    20180913_141013_HDR.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 20180913_141002_HDR.jpg
    20180913_141002_HDR.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 27
That's the console manufactured by Sterling. My windshield will not fit It.

The front of my console has a curve and the windshield has a matching curve.

A plastic fabrication shop should be able to make you a wind screen if you took in a pattern, drawing or a wood mold.

Is yours the12' or 14'?

Back
Top Bottom