Dinghy Davit Dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Perhaps a carbon dinghy? Quit expensive, but they are very lightweight: 39 kg for a 340
Here is a link. AST dinghy.
www.ast-yachts.com

Last edited:
Beautiful work. I had hoped to use a spare breaker on my 12 VDC panel, but the current draw on the winch motor is way too high and an external breaker like your set up sounds like the best approach.

Interesting news about the delay on the remote. I'm guessing that's the key fob remote?

Thanks again. Yes, it’s the key fob. I need to play with it some more to see if it’s the fob or the operator (me) :rolleyes:.

Headed to Texas. Any chance of a side view of the dinghy davit set up on Swede Dreams, please?

I will post some pictures of my set up it’s very similar.

What I did was I went and got some heavy gauge stainless steel u channels and I raised up the swim platform and drilled and bolted the U channel through over my existing breakers which are extremely large and can hold about 200 pounds each. My dinghy is a center console and weighs about 425 pounds.

I reinforced my swim platform all the way to the edge so that there is no flexing

Our new (to us) trawler came with a davit setup that I really don't like. It places too much weight aft past the swim platform.

I am at a loss as to what to replace the current davits with. As you can see there is not enough room for Seawise or Weaver Davits on the swimdeck. The ladder takes up most of the depth of the swim platform. I could possibly place them on the current extensions but I would still be hanging more weight than I want past the swim platform. I am not sure even boom davits would work. Has anyone else encountered this problem and how did you solve it.
I equipped my boat with lift platform&Hydraulic gangway .They used seperately for same purpose either.

Attachments

• 43C5F7CF-640C-45D3-A3DE-03ACD902B9F8.jpg
    43C5F7CF-640C-45D3-A3DE-03ACD902B9F8.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 16
  • DD94BE7F-C82F-466E-9A3B-46A0EF2E8A60.jpg
    DD94BE7F-C82F-466E-9A3B-46A0EF2E8A60.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 16
  • D49D926E-B26B-4A7C-B6E3-B3F5854C033A.jpg
    D49D926E-B26B-4A7C-B6E3-B3F5854C033A.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 20
timb,

How heavy is your dinghy? My new inflatable just came in yesterday. Its 94 lbs so I'm not saving much weight from my hard dinghy.

Also if you could find some pictures please post them.

With the extensions can you step from the swim platform into the dinghy or from the dinghy onto the swim platform? Mine looks like I'll have to get out of the dinghy before I pull it into the rings. Too much open water between the dinghy and swim platform.

Thanks,
Gary

I equipped my boat with lift platform&Hydraulic gangway .They used seperately for same purpose either.

You have an IMPRESSIVE GANGWAY!!! I have never seen anything like it!!! If you designed it, great job!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom