Dinghy chocks - cushion strip???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Some may recall I recent asked the TF Bigger Brain for outboard recommendations to go with my new AB 310 Aluminum RIB (I went with a Tohatsu 20hp power tilt/start). Total weight is around 275 lbs with fuel.

Dinghy will be mounted on boat deck with a Nick Jackson Pipe crane. I shopped around for chocks. Nothing off-the-shelf except for universal types which wasn't quite what I was looking for. I had two quotes for custom fabrication, one in aluminum, the other on 1-inch thick Starboard. Both were well over $1500 plus shipping which sort of took my breath away.

So I had a set from CAD drawings off ABs website. Material is 3/4" GPO3 fiberglass sheeting from McMaster (raw material is red - will get painted white). Carbide blades are needed, but the stuff is fairly easy to work with. Will require very little finish sanding before painting. Total cost was about $450 plus 10-12 hours of time.

QUESTION- any suggestions for cushion material where chock meets hull? Pool noodles come to mind, but hoping for a more elegant solution. I've looked at Treadmaster (I believe it's a Lewmar product) but I'd need to buy the $150-sheet. And it doesn't have much cushion - hoping for about 3/16" of give. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Peter
20220704_092652.jpg

We glued the same material used for trailer bunks on the cradle we had made and it lasted more than 12 years.

Leftovers from that stuff folks use to create teak looking rubber decks?

Both good suggestions. Any recommendations for glue?

Peter

How wide is the bearing surface? Maybe some SeaDek scraps if the surface is wide enough for the SeaDek to stick to it. If so I have some gray SeaDek scraps leftover from our job that I could send you. PSA adhesive backing so it would be easy install. If the bearing surface is wide enough for it to stick to.

Surface is only 3/4" wide. It's very smooth but still, not a lot, especially since dinks tend to get pushed forward or backwards to align. What do you think?

Really nice offer - thanks

Peter

Rubber rub rail, pre slotted for 3/4 inch on the mount side?

Back
Top Bottom