Old 11-13-2018, 12:36 PM   #21
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
And Nissan was Tohatsu, too. I think only the small "portable" Mercury and Nissan outboards, though.

-Chris

Old 11-13-2018, 12:50 PM   #22
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Ford, Chevy, Dodge,Toyota... whatever.

I'd go for the Honda, if given a choice vs Yamaha myself, it being the usual choice of the CG and a lot of work boats. An opinion worth what you paid for it.

The main reason you see a lot of Yamahas is their OEM deals with boat makers. Decent engines for sure. I certainly wouldn't go changing out motors if I came across a boat with newer Honda, Mercury, Yamaha, Tohatsu, Evinrude or Suzuki on them. Plenty of happy users of each around here.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:24 PM   #23
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I did a little sniffing on the websites. At 25hp, the Yamaha is two cyl, off the list in my mind. At 30hp the Yam is 3 cyl, but 207lb, heavy!! The Honda is three cyl, but carbureted, off the list in my mind.

Suzuki, Merc and Tohatsu are all three cyl and EFI, weight about 160-175 for 25-30hp. Those look viable.

One thing to look at is transom height. I can't remember the specs but at 30hp some may only be available in 20" and the boat might need 15". But could be 20, check on that.

Some have both pull and electric start, some just electric. On a 30, I would want electric, but on a dink having a pull start is a nice backup. Probably a bitch to pull, but nice to have anyhow when batt goes flat.

On these rather heavy motors, power trim is super nice too.

Happy shopping!!
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Tohatsu makes the blocks for every 4 stroke outboard 10 hp and under to my knowledge.

Incidentally, we call the dinghy a lot of things, including "Dingus Maximus", but we hold to 'dinghy' or 'dink' with anyone but ourselves, to ensure everyone knows what we're talking about. We even avoid calling it a Tender in the US because that is commonly reserved for the public boat that shuttles people around for a small fee.

You can call it "Ding" but I was also confused and wasn't clear what thought or idea was being conveyed.

Language is nothing more than audible code where the key must be shared by both the speaker and the listener. Making up one's own key leads to confusion. (For example, try talking to a teenager. Even if you remove the copious amounts of "like" from the sentence, and manage to avoid hanging yourself to avoid all the 'up-speaking' 'vocal fry tones', it's still hard to tell sometimes) LOL!!!
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 03:03 PM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski in NC View Post
Suzuki, Merc and Tohatsu are all three cyl and EFI, weight about 160-175 for 25-30hp. Those look viable.

Some have both pull and electric start, some just electric. On a 30, I would want electric, but on a dink having a pull start is a nice backup. Probably a bitch to pull, but nice to have anyhow when batt goes flat.

On these rather heavy motors, power trim is super nice too.

We have electric start on our next-size-down Suzuki (their 9.9/15/20-hp platform), 15-hp, 2-cylinder, fuel injected outboard. Manual pull-start back-up is included, and relatively easy. The third cylinder on the larger motors probably means additional effort, though.

Yes, heavy; the manual trim on our smaller motor is do-able, but electric trim would be better.

I'm sorta surprised OP's target 11.5' Bullfrog would be rated for as high as 30-hp...

-Chris
Old 11-13-2018, 03:55 PM   #26
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Well at least I didn't post an Ad and leave out the price or enough pictures. Owe Vey.

For the people who posted technical responses, thanks for the feedback. Ski, appreciate the google search data.

Our last Ding was a Caribe 12 with a 40 Yamaha, and it hauled a$#. Definitely stern heavy. Sold it awhile back.

I have a smaller Ding with an electric motor that I will hoist up for traveling. The Bull Frog will be 90% bay cruising, and I plan to tow it for local trips to the Island (200 miles round trip), weather permitting.

Question- I realize its subjective, but what would be the smallest size engine (HP) that could plane a few people in the 11.5 Bull Frog which is about 75 LB heavier than a similar sized Ding?
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:20 PM   #27
Technical Guru

Without looking at the boat, with three I would guess a minimum of 15hp. Might be wide open then. Probably good with a 20 or 25hp.

Can you post a pic of the dink? A pic of the bottom? What is hull weight?
Old 11-13-2018, 04:40 PM   #28
Guru

City: Jupiter, Florida
Vessel Name: Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Well at least I didn't post an Ad and leave out the price or enough pictures. Owe Vey.
Actually it is "Oy Vey". Sorry. Bad day at work. I had the need to try to make myself feel superior by piling on another person at their expense.

Oh, agree with the comment above, wouldn't a 30HP ANYTHING be quite large/heavy for an 11.5" ding(k)y? We have a 9.5' with 20hp and have to carry weights in the bow to keep from turning a cartwheel. Don't look at me though. It was a PO purchase.
firstbase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:44 PM   #29
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
I had the need to try to make myself feel superior by piling on another person at their expense.
Still embarrassed and butt sore eh?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:48 PM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Still embarrassed and butt sore eh?
Yep! My motto is when I feel bad about myself then I try to push others down to raise myself up. This could explain my lack of friends but...that's another thread.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:29 PM   #31
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstbase View Post
Yep! My motto is when I feel bad about myself then I try to push others down to raise myself up. This could explain my lack of friends but...that's another thread.
Dang, my shot was at the OP, and I missed!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:49 PM   #32
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:

Our last Dinghy was a Caribe 12 with a 40 Yamaha, and it hauled a$#. Definitely stern heavy. Sold it awhile back.
My Caribe 12 has a Honda 40. It definitely goes when I want it to. I don't consider it to be stern heavy though. I doubt the Yammy weighs more than the Honda. I don't have smart tabs, as I needed on a smaller Caribe, but I do have the planing attachment on the outboard, so mine gets up and goes without any fuss. Maybe the planing attachment makes all the difference.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #33
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
I would go with at least a 20 or a 25 or even a 30hp to plane a B-11.5. I honestly don't think a 15 would do it with 3 people. If it did it would be a struggle....IMO.
Meridian 411...T-Cummins 450C
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:29 PM   #34
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: SEEADLER
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Good feedback on the engine. I was also wondering about the Carb vs. injection aspects.
I have the 10' Bullfrof with 20hp Honda and it has been satisfactory. The engine sits outside all winter andhas never failed to start on the first crank.

Unlikely that I will ever replace it, but I would look closely at Yamaha. One cute bit of engineering I've noticed:

To give my Honda a freshwater flush, I have to screw in a little brass hose adapter (which I had to buy for extra bucks).

The Yamaha has a built-in flush system. I'd look for other little niceties.
AlaskaProf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:11 PM   #35
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
Dang, my shot was at the OP, and I missed!
You were using a shotgun and I was collateral damage or...I was just feeling guilty. Either worked!
Old 11-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #36
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Menzies, a predictable response based on reading a few of your posts over the years. There is an old saying about getting in a squirmish with a pig. Have you heard that one?

First Base, actually, I prefer to let others on here feel superior about themselves. I avoid the drama, and enjoy talking about boating.

Ski, please see attached link:
Yacht Tender 11.5 - Bullfrog Boats
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 07:36 PM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Menzies, a predictable response based on reading a few of your posts over the years. There is an old saying about getting in a squirmish with a pig. Have you heard that one?

First Base, actually, I prefer to let others on here feel superior about themselves. I avoid the drama, and enjoy talking about boating.

I just try take it all in good fun...even the edgier comments. Back to your post, if I may ask, what is the recommended HP or OB weight for the dinghy? I am not familiar with it, is it console steering putting you a little further up front to counter the weight?
Old 11-13-2018, 07:38 PM   #38
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Given that 40hp has seemed just right on our 13' Whaler for these past 11 years, I can see a 30 working just fine on an 11.5 Bullfrog.

I'd add that indeed electric tilt and trim, binnacle control, remote steering is the cat's meow, don't know if we could live without it now and go back to tiller set ups.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:10 PM   #39
Technical Guru

FB- I looked at the BF link. Talk to them about the best motor option. Just my gut feel is that a 25hp would do you fine. But they are the experts, ask.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:29 AM   #40
Guru

Quote:

Wow. 698-lbs (with motor). Realize that can vary slightly based on actual motor, but that's 456-lb heavier than our dinghy/outboard. I think the console version of our dinghy is only another 80-lbs or so...

-Chris