Digital Log Book

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jay b

Vessel Name
Far Niente
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 30
I am not extremely tech savvy, but instead of writing out our adventures I would like to type them, add pictures from my phone and store on my devices or even the cloud and be able to share. I own a Mac laptop but know just enough to be dangerous. Anyone doing this or have suggestions for a fairly simple Ap that would allow me to do this?
Thanks!

I’ve been experimenting With ”Ship’s Log Book for Captains” App. Lots of functionality. Pros&Cons. Jury is still out, but I highly recommend you try it.

Last edited:
I found BlueBoatLog.com very helpful.
Accessible via computer or Droid/Apple apps
You can generate a daily track to show your route as well as add pics & text each day. Share one link with others and they can access as often as the want to see where you are and see / read about your adventures.

See 2019 Cruise links on Bacchus website for examples
https://dkloeber.wixsite.com/bacchus
Most of my friends & relatives found BBL useful way to share and keep up with our adventures.
I did not want to encourage a lot of comments or responses I'd feel compelled to respond to. I did get a .I it'd # of emails from those with questions or significant interest which worked well for us.

If you don't want a blog but just a personal record, you can store a document in the cloud somewhere, a Google doc, for example. You'll want something that is available wherever you have internet access, can be downloaded for offline access and will sync later. You could convert your online record to another format and print it or send it electronically to friends, family, etc. Many of the cloud docs can be shared with others so that they can view and/or collaborate.

I use multiple Google Docs, one for maintenance, another for ToDos, including parts shopping lists, and another for a log. After having the boat for 5 years, the docs were getting too long, so I started breaking the docs into seasons or in smaller parts that made sense. I use other cloud tools or documents for noting specifics about important parts, model numbers, radio callsigns, license expiration dates/renewal instructions, anchor rode marking, fuel purchases, and on and on.

It can be a bit of a mess at times, but I've evolved the organization over time so that I have what I need wherever I am. It takes time to know what you need, when you'll need it, what devices it has to be compatible with, and where it needs to be to be accessible. Accept that you're not going to find the best answer for you with the first thing you try.

I'm experimenting with an HTML-based desktop wiki which I really like and use for all of my project ideas and notes, but I haven't figured out how to store it in the cloud so that it's always accessible.

Good luck.

Greg.

Back
Top Bottom