Digital Boat Log recommendations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Muirgen Afloat

Vessel Name
Muirgen
Vessel Make
Beebe passagemaker 50
It's been a while since we had a boat. I'm looking at ideas for a boating log. Tried doing a search because I'm sure there are already threads out there, but nothing came up. (probably because I'm a newbie and it's user error)

So does anyone have recommendations for boating logs that aren't just a paper notebook? What kind of information have you found helpful to keep in your log?

I'm trying the digital logger from Yacht Devices. Plugs into your NMEA2000 network and records everything, including VHF audio if you hook that up. Position, engine, speed, heading, etc. Perhaps not quite what you meant but with it you should be able to reconstruct nearly everything after the fact. They offer a free app to slice and dice the data.

I decided to use a spreadsheet. Not elegant but it serves the purpose. The challenge is keeping it updated from my written notes in a std. Spiral binder.. Maybe when I retire...

First thing is that it has to be easy to use or you won’t use it. I have tried a couple of them, don’t even recall the names now, that were such a PITA to enter data that I quickly gave up.

Depends on what you are looking to accomplish.
I use excel for just maintenance logs and mfg contact info.
For cruising I have used BlueBoatLog.com and liked it.
It provides a track of daily cruise and ability to add photos and text. The best feature I found is abi,a I, to combine daily logs and provide friends / relatives a link to check on your travels & whereabouts whenever THEY want to check in.
Our Bacchus website has examples on our. Ruisi g notes... 2019 cruise georgian bay section if interested.

https://dkloeber.wixsite.com/bacchus

Last edited:
I'm trying the digital logger from Yacht Devices. Plugs into your NMEA2000 network and records everything, including VHF audio if you hook that up. Position, engine, speed, heading, etc. Perhaps not quite what you meant but with it you should be able to reconstruct nearly everything after the fact. They offer a free app to slice and dice the data.

Thanks I'll check it out.

I decided to use a spreadsheet. Not elegant but it serves the purpose. The challenge is keeping it updated from my written notes in a std. Spiral binder.. Maybe when I retire...

Yeah I thought about just doing this too. At least that way we could ad or take away what we need or don't need.

First thing is that it has to be easy to use or you won’t use it. I have tried a couple of them, don’t even recall the names now, that were such a PITA to enter data that I quickly gave up.

Noted. Thanks

Depends on what you are looking to accomplish.
I use excel for just maintenance logs and mfg contact info.
For cruising I have used BlueBoatLog.com and liked it.
It provides a track of daily cruise and ability to add photos and text. The best feature I found is abi,a I, to combine daily logs and provide friends / relatives a link to check on your travels & whereabouts whenever THEY want to check in.
Our Bacchus website has examples on our. Ruisi g notes... 2019 cruise georgian bay section if interested.

https://dkloeber.wixsite.com/bacchus

Thanks, will check it out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom