Diesel in Venezuela is currently $.02 per gal!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigfish

Vessel Name
My Lady
Vessel Make
Formosa 42 Double Cabin
Anybody been to Venezuela lately? Sounds like a good place to fill up!:socool:

Sounds like a well run country I want to help....:eek:

Somehow I'm skeptical...

Maybe 2 cents to the local truckers, but when you pull up to the fuel dock in your "Imperialist American Yacht?" Not so much...

They'd probably just take your boat and give it to the Emperor's brother...

Maybe 2 cents to the local truckers, but when you pull up to the fuel dock in your "Imperialist American Yacht?" Not so much...

They'd probably just take your boat and give it to the Emperor's brother...

No they won't take your boat. But they had a limit on how much fuel a foreign vessel could purchase at one time. And the people I've spoken to who have bought it have not always been very happy with the quality of the product.

Current price for MGO (marine gas oil - equivalent to #2 diesel) costs $3.22 per US gallon today in Maracaibo.

BUNKER INDEX :: Price Index, News and Directory Information for the Marine Fuel Industry

They will sell it by the barge load at that price.

Last week I paid $3.39 for diesel here in Carrabelle, FL.

Granted, that was a truck delivery; the shrimp boat next to me added me to his order of 1500 gallons. Locally, $3.70 was the least expensive.

I'm guessing if you can order enough, find out who supplies the fishermen. That would be your best price supplier. Worked for me at least!

I know that for the last several years, there have been Venezuelans bring diesel to Curacao and Aruba to sell on the black market because of the price differential. The Venezuelan government has not been too happy about that.

Anybody been to Venezuela lately? Sounds like a good place to fill up!:socool:

Yes I live in Venezuela, and the price of diesel is the only positive at this moment in Venezuela.
This diesel price is only valid for vessels with a Venezuelan flag, others pay an international price-...............in theory.

Eastern Caribbean cruisers have been known to go to Venezuela and remove their flag so they can fill up at the fuel dock. Price is very cheap, quality sometimes is a major problem. Getting in and out of Venezuela without being attacked is such a concern that many do not consider it prudent to go near the Venezuelan coast.

There are a couple of small tankers that fill up in Venezuela and then resell the diesel to boats in St. Vincent at a below market rate.

A few years ago Trinidad imposed a two tier pricing system with the price for foreigners being equal to that in Ft. Lauderdale (US). The domestic price was something like one quarter dollar (US) per US gallon, whereas in 2010 the price for foreigners was around $4.00 US per US gallon.

Here in Kitimat BC, on Canada's north west coast, diesel is $1.50 a litre, or $5.70 per US gallon at the gas station...not sure of the marina price.

I saw a trucking magazine cover a few months ago with a story about how Alberta (where they have strip mines in the tar sands so big you can see them from space) has diesel shortages every year...and Alberta is also in debt.

What the ?!!?

Something is seriously wrong here.

Last edited:
...Alberta (where they have strip mines in the tar sands so big you can see them from space) has diesel shortages every year...and Alberta is also in debt.

That's the confusing bit. We export raw product, buy back finished products, and are subject to dramatic price increases when things go squirrelly in countries where we don't even import oil from.

Back
Top Bottom