Old 01-01-2019, 08:16 PM   #21

City: Toronto ON
So long as you can figure out where to put the chimney pipe...

Sure do like a gravity fed Dickinson Bering stove for quiet warmth.

Roamer Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:54 PM   #22

City: Seattle
I have a Wallas waiting to be installed in my GB32. I've been impressed with the design of their heaters as I have planned the install. Also, the support I've got from Scan Marine has been grat. (It also helps that their office is walking distance from my moorage on Lake Union.)

schono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:39 PM   #23

City: Monnickendam
Vessel Name: Yucatan
Vessel Model: Integrity 32 flying bridge
My 3,5KW Webasto was getting more and more unreliable so I had to take the decision, have it repaired or buy a new one. I found out that my neighbour had recently installed a brand-new chinese 5KW heater with remote control and a digital display and he is very pleased with that heater.

The chinese heater package which is including a diesel tank , mounting material ,fuel pump, filters, exhaust pipe etc. cost only 10% of the cost of a new Webasto.

The chinese heater costed me Euro 145,- while a new Webasto easily costs Euro 1500,- in the Netherlands

And the best part is that the shipping costs from china to the Netherlands was included in this Euro 145,- as well.

If I would show you both units and asks you with one is cheap chinese and with one is the Webasto, I can assure you that you will not be able to point that out.

When the unit will breaks down in a couple of years I throw it away and just by a new one, then my investment will still be much lower then with a Webasto.
vanderzeeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:50 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Amsterdam
We use a Kabola ( 15 KW) heater, which also has continuous hot water.
It is attached to 3 radiators spread throughout the boat ( 61 ft) each can be individual regulated. Sits in the engine room and quiet.
dutch-barge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:24 PM   #25

City: Rockport
Vessel Name: Still Sibsie
Vessel Model: 42' Bristol Trawler
Consider Reflex stoves from the Netherlands...thats what im gonna do
Old 01-07-2019, 05:25 PM   #26
Veteran Member

City: Boston, MA
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
I have a Wallas that was dead when I bought the boat. The Scanmarine folk in Seattle went above and beyond to get it running again as new. Since then it has run flawlessly for many hours. One winter in Seattle and another in Portland. Quiet and also adjustable output. At low I have to put my hand over an outlet to firm it’s on. I’m very happy with it but it doesn’t have the output of the much bigger boilers like webasto et al. Not enough to heat the whole boat in very cold temps. I have outlets only in the master stateroom and the saloon.
Daveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:28 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Boston, MA
Vessel Name: Navigator
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 46
I meant to add that bringing this unit back from the dead would have been much more of a challenge if I hadn’t been in Seattle because it went to Scanmarine ‘s shop at least twice and they came to the boat, with a known functioning control panel once, a couple times also. Would have been tough if I had to ship it.
Daveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:10 PM   #28

City: Lorient
it may be worth looking there:
https://planarheaters.com/
(I dont have any shares in this co)
bil56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:33 PM   #29

City: Vancouver BC
Vessel Name: Instead Of
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
Thought I would chime in. I have recently purchased a Mainship 34 with a Kabola heating system installed. It uses diesel, has a much lower exhaust temperature than standard diesel heaters, will also heat domestic water. The biggest downside is they are expensive, and operate on 240V so require either their own inverter or an inverter capable of 240 volts. It has performed very well over the past three months and I have left it operating 24/7 over that time frame. Just keeping the thermostats at minimum setting it keeps the engine room nice and warm and the rest of the boat at 65 F. Something to consider.
Sailinggod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #30
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailinggod View Post
Thought I would chime in. I have recently purchased a Mainship 34 with a Kabola heating system installed. It uses diesel, has a much lower exhaust temperature than standard diesel heaters, will also heat domestic water. The biggest downside is they are expensive, and operate on 240V so require either their own inverter or an inverter capable of 240 volts. It has performed very well over the past three months and I have left it operating 24/7 over that time frame. Just keeping the thermostats at minimum setting it keeps the engine room nice and warm and the rest of the boat at 65 F. Something to consider.
I couldnít find a price on one so I canít compare it to the IRT Hurricane. They are slightly more complicated than the hurricane and requiring 240v adds another small bit of complication, other wise they look nice and should be low maintenance. The truth seems to come out in year 5 of normal diesel furnace use. This were the hurricane leaves webasto and espar out in the cold.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 06:58 AM   #31
FF
Guru

"

The chinese heater package which is including a diesel tank , mounting material ,fuel pump, filters, exhaust pipe etc. cost only 10% of the cost of a new Webasto."

LINK PLEASE?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Lanzarote canary Islands
Vessel Name: BALDER VIII
Vessel Model: North Sea Trawler 57' OC
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensibs View Post
Consider Reflex stoves from the Netherlands...thats what im gonna do
Refleks is a danish brand with a very good reputation here in Europe. A lot of accessories like radiators etc
balder8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #33
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
You can't hear my Wallas exhaust..
A lot of the comments about noise from forced air diesel heaters not being a problem at anchor I would tend to agree with. Because there tends to be enough distance between boats in an anchorage to lessen the noise. But when you are in a slip in a marina, and the boat next to you has their heater which sounds like a turbine jet engine cycling on and off all night a mere 8-feet from your cabin... can be quite annoying. In an interrupted sleep sort of way.

Like psneeld, you can't hear our Wallas exhaust, and we have had several looks of (pleasant) surprise when a neighbor discovers that it is on and he's standing a few feet away from it.
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:39 PM   #34
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderzeeh View Post
My 3,5KW Webasto was getting more and more unreliable so I had to take the decision, have it repaired or buy a new one. I found out that my neighbour had recently installed a brand-new chinese 5KW heater with remote control and a digital display and he is very pleased with that heater.

The chinese heater package which is including a diesel tank , mounting material ,fuel pump, filters, exhaust pipe etc. cost only 10% of the cost of a new Webasto.

The chinese heater costed me Euro 145,- while a new Webasto easily costs Euro 1500,- in the Netherlands

And the best part is that the shipping costs from china to the Netherlands was included in this Euro 145,- as well.

If I would show you both units and asks you with one is cheap chinese and with one is the Webasto, I can assure you that you will not be able to point that out.

When the unit will breaks down in a couple of years I throw it away and just by a new one, then my investment will still be much lower then with a Webasto.
Your last line makes an excellent point. We would be interested to know how well it performs over the next year or so, in terms of heat output, amp draw, fuel burn, and reliability.
https://www.pacificnwboatertested.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #35
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by balder8 View Post
Refleks is a danish brand with a very good reputation here in Europe. A lot of accessories like radiators etc
Only one dealer in North America that I've found so far:
https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/inet...for%5D=refleks
Old 01-09-2019, 04:12 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Olympia, WA
Vessel Name: Buster
Vessel Model: North Sea Cape Classic 30
I have experience with both a Volvo Ardic diesel heater and an Espar diesel heater on prior vessels. My current trawler has a Wallas 30GB diesel heater. I much prefer the Wallas because of less fuel pump noise, lack of exhaust noise and simple operation. The Ardic and Espar heaters cycle on and off and remind me of the noise a jet plane makes on takeoff. The fire in the Wallas furnace does not cycle on and off. I could hear and feel the vibration of the Espar fuel pump cycling in the forward cabin of a 41 foot boat with the furnace installed in the transom locker. I had to install a day tank and run K-1 kerosene in the Ardic to have any reasonable maintenance schedule. I have been very satisfied with the advice and support that I have received from Bruce and Doug McElroy at Scan Marine in Seattle: www.scanmarineusa.com
I recommend that you consider a Wallas heater for your vessel. You are welcome to PM me if you want more information about my experience with these heaters.
DLETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 02:06 PM   #37

City: Oriental N.C.
Vessel Name: true heading
Vessel Model: marine trader 38 dc
my boat had a house type diesel furnace in it .i removed it because it looked like a fire hazard and needed 120v to operate . i would like to use something like the 12v planar coolant heater so i can reuse the radiators mounted through out the boat. does any one have a model they like . i will only use it underway and at anchor .i have two ac units with
heat when at a dock.
timb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #38
Ang
Veteran Member

City: Port of Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Salish Star
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32
We have an Espar forced air unit on our boat. it's a smaller unit. Has been very reliable and easy to use. Noise-wise, not too bad. I can sleep with it on. But then again, my significant other thinks a hearing aid is in my future.

Cheers,
Port of Everett, WA
Ang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 04:08 PM   #39

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 2002 Bayliner 4788
Send a message via Skype™ to mattkab
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
"

The chinese heater package which is including a diesel tank , mounting material ,fuel pump, filters, exhaust pipe etc. cost only 10% of the cost of a new Webasto."

LINK PLEASE?

This is our winter project. We're not completely installed yet, but did the same math, and the knock-off heater makes way more sense. This is the one we got:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/8KW-12V-Die...r/323506755578

Expect to spend another couple hundred for a proper install, including a couple CO monitor/alarms, longer exhaust hoses, vents and ducting, stainless through-hull, muffler cement, brackets, clips, wire, etc. But, you need those things with any other brand as well.

We're not completely installed yet, but here's a pic bench-testing it in the pilothouse:

And another pic of my wife running wires and venting under the settee and behind the cabinetry:
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:47 PM   #40
Guru

City: Bainbridge Island WA
Vessel Name: Ironside
Vessel Model: 54' Bruce Roberts design, custom built, steel, sailboat hull, single CAT 3306 Turbo.
How about this one;

https://mvheating.co.uk/product-cate...water-heating/

Anyone is familiar with this product?

LeoKa is offline   Reply With Quote