diesel fuel lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
IT’S THE LAW - USCG:
183.538 Metallic fuel line materials.
Each metallic fuel line connecting the fuel tank with the fuel inlet connection on the
engine must:
(a) be made of seamless annealed copper, nickel copper, or copper nickel; and
(b) except for corrugated flexible fuel line, have a minimum wall thickness of 0.029
inches.
If metal is used for any portion of the fuel line (except for fittings) from the tank connection to
the engine connection (usually at the fuel pump), the metallic fuel line portions must be seamless,
annealed:
(1) Copper;
(2) Nickel copper (Monel); or
(3) Copper-nickel.
No other metals are permitted.
Also, the thickness of the tubing wall must be at least 0.029 inches unless the fuel line portion is
a corrugated or accordion type of flexible fuel line. Tubing is available with thinner wall
thicknesses, but they SHALL NOT be used.
Metal fuel lines used on the engine, i.e. the fuel line from the fuel pump to the carburetor, may be
made of materials other than those listed. This line is usually supplied with the engine.
TO COMPLY
Are metallic fuel lines made of seamless annealed:
Copper;
Nickel copper; or
Copper-nickel?

I hate to be a typical copy & paste pundit. From the USCG compliance guidelines. I see it says except for the fittings and haven't delved to deep into the regulations. I might've seen stainless used on some applications but the majority of fittings & components seem to be brass ,aluminum & the like.

Last edited:
Interesting read....

IIRC....regarding it being "Law"...183.538 does not apply to "uninspected", diesel powered recreational boats like ours.... However; the "recommendations" of ABYC H-33 certainly do apply, and it appears that SS is not specifically listed as one of the fuel piping materials.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the standard was originally developed to address gasoline engines, and once it was adopted by USCG, it takes an act of congress to revise....

Coming from the code oriented Nuclear Power world, God knows I'd never suggest anyone here install something on their boat that wasn't kosher....However; there are lots of ways to skin a cat!:rolleyes:

I wonder if those shiny pipes on our dual Racor filter switchover assemblies are made of SS?

though I think there are SS fuel lines on mercruiser engines, but not positive.

I believe they are worried about vibration cracks. Stainless steel is also excluded from fuel tanks on inspected vessels.

Ted

Using copper reminds me of recent discussion between our marina mechanic and shipwright. Regarding an older Halvorsen, originally gas engined, with original copper fuel tanks,DD diesels fitted, shipwright said he`d been taught copper and diesel shouldn`t go together. Common practice suggests it`s not right, but I`ll raise anyway.

Copper fuel lines were pretty much the standard for diesel for decades..

Had them in all 3 of my liveaboards.....my Cape Dory, Silverton and my Albin.

Decades old and still serviceable.

Last edited:
Have copper lines to the fuel manifolds. Direct connections to engine done with rubber hose. Makes sense.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom