Diesel Fuel Additives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Soo-Valley, google Bosch CP4 injector pump failures and then come back and tell us that today's ULSD is good enough to run in today's common rail diesels with no lubricity improver.
"Lubricity
The most immediate concern with ULSD, certainly the one that has received the most publicity, is lubricity. When diesel fuel is refined to make ULSD, it is reacted with hydrogen to remove the sulfur. This process also removes much of the fuel's lubricity. (Many people mistakenly believe that it's only the sulfur that supplies lubricity.) Lubricity is essential in diesel fuel to reduce friction at finely machined pumps and injectors; without sufficient lubricity, a diesel would grind itself to a premature death.

Minimum lubricity is a requirement of the ASTM-D975 standard, which means oil companies must use either soy biodiesel or a synthetic additive to return fuel to its pre-ULSD lubricity levels. Soy biodiesel has the potential to loosen built-up gunk in the tank and clog filters, but not to the extent that ethanol does with gasoline tanks. Note, however, that a synthetic additive is more likely to be used, as it’s less expensive and more stable than soy."

from link https://www.boatus.com/magazine/2012/june/do-we-need-to-worry-about-ultra-low-sulfur-diesel.asp
Biobar claims
"adds lubricity back to low sulfur diesel fuel
Exceeds ASTM Standards, MI-S-53021A, EPA approved and U.S. Coast Guard Certified."

Since 2006 ULSD was introduced and now it is everywhere. Before 2006 maybe it was not a concern, engines built after 2006 were designed to use the stuff the same as newer car engines can use increasing amounts of corn.
"ULSD will run in any engine designed for the ASTM D-975 diesel fuels."

It is not relevant what you have done/not done over the last 30-40 years, things change.

I use an additive because it just might be beneficial,but suspect if I could get the next door`s cat to pee in a bottle, and add that, it would work just as well.

In the UK, the RNLI (Lifeboat) is called regularly for boats which have engine failures at sea due to fuel bug problems. Since the RNLI doesn't charge, it's a cost they bear.

Even if you don't believe you'll ever have bug issues, an additive is siply another form of insurance for when / if you need it.

Soo-Valley, google Bosch CP4 injector pump failures and then come back and tell us that today's ULSD is good enough to run in today's common rail diesels with no lubricity improver.
hey, read again. I quote an authority that conflicts with opinions expressed. why don't you quote instead of telling me to go look? Back up your opinions.

BTW, I already added Biobar! But I do not settle for personal opinion and do research to find support for it.

ETA: Being curious
https://www.forthepeople.com/class-action-lawyers/cp4-pump-failure-lawsuit/

"The primary reason the CP4 pump is said to fail is because the pump was not designed for diesel fuel in the United States."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom