Old 08-05-2020, 02:11 PM   #1

City: Stratford
Diesel Additives

Just curious what people are using for diesel additives. I am a long time boater but new to power boating and now more interested in if and how I treat diesel fuel now that I am using a lot of it. There are lots of products will all kinds of promises, but who knows if they really do anything or not? I have been using FuelOx because I found it at a boat show and saw no harm in trying it. I have no idea if it does anything, but my engine runs well and doesn't smoke at all, but I don't know if it would be any different without it. I just purchased some FPPF Marine Diesel treatment and will try that since it seems endorsed by Yanmar. I may still add a small amount of FuelOx. What is your experience/opinion?

backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:24 PM   #2
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
Just curious what people are using for diesel additives. I am a long time boater but new to power boating and now more interested in if and how I treat diesel fuel now that I am using a lot of it. There are lots of products will all kinds of promises, but who knows if they really do anything or not? I have been using FuelOx because I found it at a boat show and saw no harm in trying it. I have no idea if it does anything, but my engine runs well and doesn't smoke at all, but I don't know if it would be any different without it. I just purchased some FPPF Marine Diesel treatment and will try that since it seems endorsed by Yanmar. I may still add a small amount of FuelOx. What is your experience/opinion?
My boat previous owner was using this, I do the same without much conviction but still as it does not harm I use the same:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1125_.jpg

L

Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:30 PM   #3
Guru

City: gulf coast
Since you are using a lot of fuel there is no need for additives. Run the tank low to slosh any sediment up to the filters. Check them and replaces as necessary.
Have diesels for decades and all the want is clean fuel.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:00 PM   #4

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Couple’s Retreat
Vessel Model: 2019 North Pacific 45
Biobor for diesel; cheap insurance.
jimdavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #5

City: Sammamish
Vessel Name: Knot Home
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 - 1998
Second on Biobor. In the PacNW we boat year around but less often during winter. Fill up in the fall, try to keep tanks full, but less use means fuel “sits” so don’t want to give the little green grows things any help by ignoring the issue.
MMSI 368040470
Beaverlake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 05:38 PM   #6
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
With our 2010 & newer commercial diesel rigs we run Catalyst. You need to understand that our vehicles have DEF devices and variable vaned turbo chargers. This product keeps our exhaust systems from carboning up and adds 10% to our fuel economy. This product cost $250 a gallon but you only use a few ounces per 100 gallons. Everything I have tried from a retail outlet has been snake oil.

I have never used the product on my Cat 3208s. My engines only smoke on start, there is no exhaust system to carbon up, possibly I would see some fuel consumption improvement but that would be very hard to verify.

Since My fuel never sits in my tanks for more than 6 months and I have no water issues I don’t see the need for any fuel stabilization. This of course is not true for everyone.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:00 PM   #7
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Syanadyne. Fuel stabilizer and lubricity treatment. I believe it also processes small amounts of water. But if you go through your diesel fairly quickly, you need nothing. Diesel has a lot of additives these days already.

Careful with Biobor. It kills critters which isn't always a good thing. Dead critters clog filters.

I have zero data to back up, but I'd guess a lot (majority?) of clogged filters are caused by asphaltines from old fuel, not algae. Additives like Stanadyne and Stabil will help. Biobor will not.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

City: Chocowinity, (Cypress Landing) NC
Vessel Name: Boatwright
Vessel Model: Camano 31
Biobor JF. Years ago I found some research - maybe U. Oregon - on using bio-diesel for emergency generators. Apparently bio-diesel has more storage challenges than petro-diesel. Anyway, I found Biobor JF noted as effective there in a test of several biocides. In hot and humid southern areas I use Biobor JF unless I take on a large load of Valve-tect fuel which is pre-treated with a biocide. A few months of the winter with hard cold snaps, I have my boat winterized, and my mechanic uses a fuel stabilizer, but there are several reported as effective - no opinion from me.

Never have found water in my Racors, maybe because I most completely close tank vents. Curious if others do the same. Of course, that means I add fuel very slowly past 3/4 full.
NCheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Chocowinity, (Cypress Landing) NC
Vessel Name: Boatwright
Vessel Model: Camano 31
BTW, I cut open my Racors with a hacksaw when they are changed to get an idea what's in the tank. Delighted last time to find practically nothing, very little discoloration of the filter medium. Admiral is amused, but rolling out 15 or so feet of filter medium is the best way I know to find out if anything is floating around down there. Obsessive?
NCheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:29 PM   #10
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Two part article on the subject by Steve D'Antonio. It's been years since I read these. I used to be a biobor fan but my best research indicates water is the biggest problem. Stanadyne and StaBil both emulsify water. No water, no critters, and no need for a biocide such as Biobor. At least that's my best thinking. Everyone makes their own decision.

https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/d...itives-part-i/

https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/d...tives-part-ii/
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:40 PM   #11
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Since you are using a lot of fuel there is no need for additives. Run the tank low to slosh any sediment up to the filters. Check them and replaces as necessary.
Have diesels for decades and all the want is clean fuel.

I'm ignorant when it comes to all things engine. However, I agree with Bayview. If you use your fuel, you don't need to worry about it. If the fuel will sit for a while, then Stabil may be helpful.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 06:49 PM   #12
Guru

City: Southport, Florida
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
My boat previous owner was using this, I do the same without much conviction but still as it does not harm I use the same:

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....AC_SL1125_.jpg

L
Plus one on the Power Service additive plus Biobor. The PS made a difference in the sooting I was getting.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 07:58 PM   #13
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
I just buy Valvetect Marine diesel which meet stringent clean fuel and storage requirements. And buy just enough to last a year. I keep less than 30 gallons in my 600 gallon diesel tanks during winter.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:11 PM   #14

City: Savannah, Ga.
Vessel Name: Indigo Star
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 400
I have been told by many people that this is the best but who knows...I am going to use it next fuel top off...Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200729_132831258.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	105936
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:15 PM   #15
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I use Bio-Bore and Sta-Bil.
Talked to a guy that worked on the flight line at Boeing. He strongly recommended Bio-Bore.
Have no use for any other additives.
Sta-Bil’s expensive. How many here say I don’t need it?

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 01:05 AM   #16
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Each year I put some stabilizer in the tanks before we winterize the boat. We run it enough to get it through the system. That is all we use.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:00 AM   #17

City: Perth
Vessel Name: Miss Chief
Vessel Model: Viking 58 EB
Iíve spent over two decades working in mining around the world. All for large mining operations that burn billions of litres of diesel each year. Not a single one uses fuel additives.

Just for laughs, try and find any credible scientific data on the claimed benefits of these additives.
Andosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:02 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
I just buy Valvetect Marine diesel which meet stringent clean fuel and storage requirements. And buy just enough to last a year. I keep less than 30 gallons in my 600 gallon diesel tanks during winter.
I always thought best practice was to fill tanks for the winter. That's what I did along with a winter stabilizer.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:03 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andosan View Post
Iíve spent over two decades working in mining around the world. All for large mining operations that burn billions of litres of diesel each year. Not a single one uses fuel additives.

Just for laughs, try and find any credible scientific data on the claimed benefits of these additives.
On the FuelOx site, there is a construction company that uses their product and claim about a 10% savings in fuel.
Old 08-07-2020, 10:11 AM   #20

City: Perth
Vessel Name: Miss Chief
Vessel Model: Viking 58 EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
On the FuelOx site, there is a construction company that uses their product and claim about a 10% savings in fuel.
Call me a skeptic but if there was a free 10% improvement in fuel economy donít you think engine or vehicle manufacturers would be crowing about it?

Lots of people make claims; to this day Iíve never seen one that can substantiate them.

Andosan is offline   Reply With Quote