Old 06-10-2014, 05:55 PM   #21
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
Our 1995 NT42 came with a number of very full binders c/w relevant/non-relevant info that gave a history of her equipment, original and added. Schematics of the AC & DC systems, although somewhat out of date, were useful starting points.

Good thing, as there were no maintenance or cruising logs whatsoever.

The most interesting binder was a photo album showing the build of Blue Sky. Since she was hull #1 there were also photos of the plugs being created.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:57 PM   #22
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Full big manual and a stack of blue print sized wiring schematics, graving plans, the works. Diamonds and Gold!

And, a list of what your specific boat, that is your hull number, left the factory with. More gold!

Big advantage of buying a Hatteras is they have all this still on microfiche for almost every boat they built.

Plus the spin off off their parts department, Sam's Marine, will register your hull number and be able to tell you exactly what you are looking for. And likely have it or the proper modern replacement. Platinum!

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:51 PM   #23
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
My 1981 IG36 Europa came with 2 bound volumes from Kong & Halvorsen. General info, maintenance info, engine and gearbox serial numbers, system diagrams, some generic IG specs too. With the Manuals were 2 Lehman instruction books, including exploded diagrams showing individual parts and part numbers. I thank the POs for preserving these useful and valuable resource materials.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:52 PM   #24

City: Anchor Pointe, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sea Moose
Vessel Model: 1976 34' D/C Taiwanese Trawler
None of the sailboats I've owned had manuals. The GB32 woodie had an awesome manual in a binder with gold lettering, really classy. The marine trader, a smelly box of manuals for stuff that was no longer on the boat - the smell of wood rot and holding tank all.the manuals has was in alignment with the price. The 86 Bayliner "beater boat" came with a manual - same manual for every model they built that year.

The cutest manual I have seen is the one that came with a friends late sixties era pacemaker, complete with a section for "the wife" (how to clean everything) and ten pages of factory photos assuring the owner that the thing was built like a tank - which it is...
SeaMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:06 PM   #25
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
My boat came with about a 10" tall stack of manuals for everything on the boat plus a binder from Sea Ray with a lot of good information about the boat including wiring and plumbing schematics and a drawing of where every piece of gear in the engine room and lazarette are. Great stuff that I refer to frequently to learn the boat.

I also have most of the manuals for the equipment on the boat in .pdf format on my Kindle. I keep that at home in case I need to refer to it.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:59 PM   #26
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
It continues to be a learning experience for me.
Mark - Are you saying your boat purchased new came without owners manuals???
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #27
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Mark - Are you saying your boat purchased new came without owners manuals???
It came with manufacturers' manuals/instructions for most components, such as engine, thruster, toilet, and so on. Also with some builder's drawings and schematics.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:26 PM   #28
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
It came with manufacturers' manuals/instructions for most components, such as engine, thruster, toilet, and so on. Also with some builder's drawings and schematics.
I must have misunderstood a post of yours...
Old 06-11-2014, 10:53 PM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
I must have misunderstood a post of yours...
No information on the location of thru-hulls, what switch controls the engine-room lights, existence/purpose of hidden electrical switches in the hanging closet, which valves to adjust to use fuel-polishing pump to prime the engine, and such.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:05 PM   #30
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Ours came with a 3inch binder that explains and goes over all the systems on the boat.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #31
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
The original owner of our boat built a very extensive owner's manual that I'm in the process of updating now. It was all hand-typed with polaroid pictures for illustrations. I'm in the process of updating it and making it an electronic document now.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #32
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Ours came with a decent owner's manual, generic prose about how to work each system, and also including electrical schematics, thru-hull discharge locations, etc. Plus Engine manuals, and genset manuals -- both motor, and generator unit. (Not engine service manuals; I bought those separately.) That was all augmented with a stack of manuals/literature from the manufacturer of every system in the boat (ACs, charger, cooktop, etc etc etc). Well-organized, brand-marked satchel, etc.

-Chris
Old 06-12-2014, 05:56 PM   #33
Guru

City: Flattop Islands
Vessel Name: Blackfish
Vessel Model: custom
Today I think all boats should come with a really good manual. There's no reason not to.

I believe the manual that all others should be judged by is that for the Albin 25, written by her designer Per Brohall.

It includes almost all the info pertinent to owning, operating, and caring for the boat. There's real stability data, info on construction, handling and mooring, and basic sailing detections for the motorsailer version. Frankly, if all builders provided owner's with an equivalent manual, there would be fewer insurance claims, dumb stunts, and expensive mistakes all around.

http://www.albin25.eu/_download/albin25manual.pdf
Tad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:06 PM   #34
Art
Guru

Tad

That 1972 Albin manual is really nicely done! TY for link. Way more complete than the original one that came with our 1977 Tolly... although it is OK too. Though most items had paper when we purchased; I've gathered other necessary papers or web folder inserts for all items aboad.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:10 PM   #35
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
I'll admit that Albin 25 manual covered everything, great job by them.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 10:21 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Houston
Vessel Name: Cast Off
Vessel Model: 1984 hunter 34
Mine came with one binder.Everything crammed in since 1984.Even orginal sales color brochure.I have since broke it all down and expanded.Each booklet or manuals are in plastic sleeves.Some of it maybe overkill,but works for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140613_222133.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	30532

Sent from my Galaxy SIII using speech to text.so some words may not be perfect.but it's easier.
Spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 06:43 AM   #37
Guru

City: Miami
Only had one w/o a manual. Current boat has two shelves full.

Via iPhone.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:51 AM   #38
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
While a pretty manual with safety tips and pictures of things I can see anyway may impress some...the manuals I prefer have the routing of the actual wire plumbing runs, parts lists with sizes of fittings (really rare), how specialty items with trim, multiple layers/parts come apart....you know....stuff that helps me BEFORE ripping off panels and crawling around and poking in impossible spots to fit while tracing runs,....etc.

Thankfully in recent years...used boats without much at least have forums and manuals on-line to help...probably help just as much as the newer more complete manuals as few owner's manuals are ever complete or written for tech level maintenance.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 03:56 PM   #39
Guru

City: gulf coast
Carver came with extensive parts list,wiring and plumbing diagrams through hull and calving locations data sheets on all pumps, heads electrical equipment andultiple engine and transmission manuals. Pretty compete iMO
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 04:09 PM   #40
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Carver came with extensive parts list,wiring and plumbing diagrams through hull and calving locations data sheets on all pumps, heads electrical equipment andultiple engine and transmission manuals. Pretty compete iMO
This is the second time I've heard about Carver manuals being very complete. Nice to hear.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote