Old 02-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Guru

City: Biloxi, MS
Vessel Name: Cajun Rose
Vessel Model: Biloxi Lugger
did an el dummo today

Right when I think I know what I'm doing, haha I get bit in ars...I've been working on my gensets for two months now. *I bought a used genset from a fella in North Carolina, drove 13 hrs there and drove 10 hrs back, took a nap and finished the trip. *Long story short I got all the parts on my genset and the last two weeks have been chasing down bugs. *I finally got it to run today and it ran great, till it ran out of diesel!!!!!!Oh I am so stupid. *Started bleeding out the air and stopped for the night. *I'll try to get her running again later this week. *Wow, great move. *Thought maybe someone could relate. *I hope.
swampu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
RE: did an el dummo today

Quote:
swampu wrote:
Right when I think I know what I'm doing, haha I get bit in ars...I've been working on my gensets for two months now. *I bought a used genset from a fella in North Carolina, drove 13 hrs there and drove 10 hrs back, took a nap and finished the trip. *Long story short I got all the parts on my genset and the last two weeks have been chasing down bugs. *I finally got it to run today and it ran great, till it ran out of diesel!!!!!!Oh I am so stupid. *Started bleeding out the air and stopped for the night. *I'll try to get her running again later this week. *Wow, great move. *Thought maybe someone could relate. *I hope.
Paul

I'm sorry to say that I've never done that, but you can take encouragement in the fact that I am definitely capable of the same mistake. Even after hearing of your incident. We all have our moments!!!
Carey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC

Bummer, Paul. If it makes you feel any better, and I know it's not the same thing, but I run my Honda eu2000i out of fuel about every other time I use it.

I'm sure that if I had an onboard genny, I'd run it out of fuel, too.

Bleed and proceed!
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
Scraping Paint

City: -

I let an engine get a slug of air during a fuel transfer from the saddle tanks to the day tank. Realized what the problem was (my fault) but we were at the south end of the Strait of Georgia and the water was bouncy and the friends we had on board needed to make an engagement that evening. So rather than screw around bleeding the engine in a pitching and rolling boat I tied off the shaft and we finished the run (three hours) on the other engine. Came up the following weekend, bled the engine, and that was that. And I learned something about our fuel system in the process. One of those mistakes that once you make it you'll never make it again.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 03:13 AM   #5
FF
Guru

Started bleeding out the air and stopped for the night.

Remember Gravity is your friend, even a cup of fuel above the engine solves loads of problems.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #6

City: Monterey, CA
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: Defever 44

About three weeks ago the electronics guy showed up to align the radar or something like that while I was checking the racors with the fuel system shut off. I was super excited to check off the alignment from my list so I buttoned everything up quickly and started the motors. Fortunately, I noticed they didn't sound right and went below to find that I had not opened the fuel supply lines and my Cummins were starving. So happy I didn't leave the slip! I did not confess my sins to the electronics guy!
Baggiolini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

We've all done 'em, not gonna start to list mine!!
Boathommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:53 PM   #8
Guru

City: Hotel, CA

Quote:
Boathommy wrote:
*I've done plenty. My most public humiliation to date was about 15 or so years ago when I was asked to drive the classic convertible I'd just restored for the Grand Marshal of a local parade to ride in. Literally finished it the day before. Ran out of gas half way through the parade.

Lesson: Remember to connect the gas gauge and fill the tank before rolling out of the shop.
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #9
JAT
Guru

Vessel Name: Just a Tinch
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 44 MC

Quote:
Boathommy wrote:

DITTO!!*:angered: :ashamed:
JAT is offline   Reply With Quote