Destination Anticipation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWT

Guru
Vessel Name
Resilient
Vessel Make
Helmsman Trawlers 38E
Though thread topics are overwhelmingly about repair and maintenance, presumably folks like to use the boat.

When you ponder a trip to a specific destination, what destinations do you anticipate with the biggest grin? What aspects do you most look forward to? Different landscapes, different regional cultures, different regional foods, etc?

Whenever I travel south, I do look forward to some honest pork BBQ. Its a simple pleasure, but one you rarely can find outside of the south.

With the Chesapeake, its crab, crabcakes, crab soup. And especially scrapple.

In New England, a good lobster shack is a real find. And decent clam chowder.

Along the ICW you know you are going to stop at least once in Coinjock, and try the famous prime rib. You know you will.

Where do you go, and what draws you to it? Favorite destinations.

Too many to name, worldwide.

New Caledonia and Vanuatu.

Places we've never been before, especially challenging ones that give me butterflies. Remote, wild, dodgy anchoring, entrance rock gardens and/or tidal rapids, that sort of stuff.

Boat limits us to coastal BC and thereabouts, but that's enough for us.

Though thread topics are overwhelmingly about repair and maintenance, presumably folks like to use the boat.

When you ponder a trip to a specific destination, what destinations do you anticipate with the biggest grin? What aspects do you most look forward to? Different landscapes, different regional cultures, different regional foods, etc?

Whenever I travel south, I do look forward to some honest pork BBQ. Its a simple pleasure, but one you rarely can find outside of the south.

Along the ICW you know you are going to stop at least once in Coinjock, and try the famous prime rib. You know you will.

This place:

2008 Corsica

Especially Girolata.

We have visited on our own hull, and also by ferry more recently for the Mare e Monti (10 day) hike from Sea to Mountains (Calvi to Cargese).

It hastened my hip replacement but it was worth it!
~A

Last edited:
This place:

2008 Corsica

Especially Girolata.

We have visited on our own hull, and also by ferry more recently for the Mare e Monti (10 day) hike from Sea to Mountains (Calvi to Cargese).

It hastened my hip replacement but it was worth it!
~A

Now THAT looks pretty special. Thanks for sharing that link. Envy is a deadly sin, right?

Right now I'd like to just be able to go more than 1nm away from our slip!
I`ll bite, why can`t you?
Currently, we`re not allowed to leave home,save for 4 exceptions. Can`t even shop together "for essentials"; it`s one person, once a day, per household.

Scrapple? Scrapple? That's a Pennsylvania Dutch thing rarely found in Maryland groceries. And the prime rib at Coinjock, highly over-rated. Plus, the dockage there, sometimes boats on the wall are REQUIRED to let late arrivals raft. Nope.

I hate to reveal my favorite place because I don't want more people to go there. But you can't get any better than this, not just for lobster, but all of the best seafood New England has to offer. BYOB and a very short walk from the docks at Noank Marina, another gem.
I'll pass on the scrapple thanks!

https://www.abbottslobster.com/

I`ll bite, why can`t you?
Currently, we`re not allowed to leave home,save for 4 exceptions. Can`t even shop together "for essentials"; it`s one person, once a day, per household.

We moved aboard in August of 2018. For the first 11 months that we leased the boat we didn't take it out very far because we didn't own it and didn't want to take the chance of damaging something we didn't own yet.

Since then, the two biggest reasons that we didn't take it out was because A.) we didn't have a battery bank, only starter batteries, so the house load often left us jumping one engine with the other when it came time to head home. And B.) we didn't have a generator, and trying to cool a boat that you live on after a 12 hour day on the water is extremely hard and takes a very long time.

We now have the battery bank, the generator, and everything else we need to spend a weekend at anchor...all I need to wrap up is this windlass issue.

Scrapple? Scrapple? That's a Pennsylvania Dutch thing rarely found in Maryland groceries. And the prime rib at Coinjock, highly over-rated. Plus, the dockage there, sometimes boats on the wall are REQUIRED to let late arrivals raft. Nope.

I hate to break it to you, but I was born and raised on the Eastern Shore of MD and scrapple has been a staple there since forever. I was raised on it. :) And its in every grocery store there. Its common on local diner breakfast menus. I can't speak to availability on the left side of the Chesapeake. I love the stuff. Rapa is one of the main brands, and its made in Bridgeville DE. The town has an Apple Scrapple festival every year.

I hate to reveal my favorite place because I don't want more people to go there. But you can't get any better than this, not just for lobster, but all of the best seafood New England has to offer. BYOB and a very short walk from the docks at Noank Marina, another gem.

I am pretty familiar with Abbott's. In fact, I am driving there TODAY to meet up with some family and tuck into as big a lobster as think I can handle. Abbott's is one of my most favorite spots in CT. Sitting on the lawn, eating lobster, drinking wine, chatting with friends and family, and watching boats go up and down the Mystic River is a happy place for me.

I am pretty familiar with Abbott's. In fact, I am driving there TODAY to meet up with some family and tuck into as big a lobster as think I can handle. Abbott's is one of my most favorite spots in CT. Sitting on the lawn, eating lobster, drinking wine, chatting with friends and family, and watching boats go up and down the Mystic River is a happy place for me.

The river leading into Fisher Island Sound is very scenic. Noank Shipyard right next door is a great place to spend a night or 2. Hope to get there later this week if the weather looks better. Enjoy!

For those who don't know what scrapple is:

https://www.amazon.com/RAPA-Scrappl...ild=1&keywords=scrapple&qid=1626010782&sr=8-5

It comes in a brick / loaf. Cut it into slices maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch thick. Oil in a frying pan. Cook until crisp on the outside and still a bit soft on the inside. Yum. A scrapple and fried egg sandwich is a great way to start a day.

You might be better off not knowing what scrapple is! Any what marketing genius came up with that name? About as appealing to me as head cheese.

The river leading into Fisher Island Sound is very scenic. Noank Shipyard right next door is a great place to spend a night or 2. Hope to get there later this week if the weather looks better. Enjoy!

That is EXACTLY what I am talking about. One point of the topic. Places to target and anticipate.

I have not cruised the waters of New England, but plan to and want to.

This is now on the list.

And the prime rib at Coinjock, highly over-rated. Plus, the dockage there, sometimes boats on the wall are REQUIRED to let late arrivals raft. Nope.

Yeah, but there are some things ya gotta do to say you have done it.

Go to Venice and a gondola ride is going to be a checkbox thing. Over-rated? You bet. But been there, done that, have the T shirt. But there are so very many better ways to spend time there. Still, go and you are going to do it.

That is EXACTLY what I am talking about. One point of the topic. Places to target and anticipate.

I have not cruised the waters of New England, but plan to and want to.

This is now on the list.

Let me know if you ever do, I'll share some more of my favs. If you strictly want the best lobster roll and nothing else, try the Lobster Landing in Clinton CT. Also next door to an awesome marina (Cedar Island) though not as scenic as Noank. My wife is crazy for lobster rolls and tries them everywhere. This place beats even the best in Maine IMO.

https://www.facebook.com/LobsterLandingLLC?ref=bookmarks

Wifey B: Places I've never been.....oh and places I've been before and want to go again. Yes, mainly those two kinds of places. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

We do love destinations though and we get off the boat and explore. Right now about bedtime in Gibraltar as we arrived today from Valencia. :D

Let me know if you ever do, I'll share some more of my favs. If you strictly want the best lobster roll and nothing else, try the Lobster Landing in Clinton CT. Also next door to an awesome marina (Cedar Island) though not as scenic as Noank. My wife is crazy for lobster rolls and tries them everywhere. This place beats even the best in Maine IMO.

https://www.facebook.com/LobsterLandingLLC?ref=bookmarks

Funny you should mention that. It was just two days ago that someone was mentioning that place. New bucket list place to go.

And you bet, on contacting you for other suggestions. When the time comes to plan a trip I will definitely reach out. Thanks for the offer.

Funny you should mention that. It was just two days ago that someone was mentioning that place. New bucket list place to go.

And you bet, on contacting you for other suggestions. When the time comes to plan a trip I will definitely reach out. Thanks for the offer.

Great! LMK if you try lobster landing. I haven't found a better lobster roll but not for lack of trying.

Anywhere in Canadian waters

It's why our boat is named the DuNORD. We trailer the boat, and the weather usually starts cooling nicely on the tow north. We like the cooler evenings (jacket weather) as well as the people we encounter. Home port is N Illinois.

It's why our boat is named the DuNORD. We trailer the boat, and the weather usually starts cooling nicely on the tow north. We like the cooler evenings (jacket weather) as well as the people we encounter. Home port is N Illinois.

Where are you trailering from?

Scrapple.

I grew-up in Maryland and ate scrapple all the time. You must be shopping the wrong stores.

Love Abbott's

Love Abbott's and Noank Marina.

About 20 years ago, while cruising Long Island Sound, we broke a steering cable and the folks at Noank provided outstanding assistance with the repairs.

Right now we are making plans to cruise the west coast of Vancouver Island (when the border eventually reopens). Just thinking about it makes me grin...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom