Derelicts on the Columbia River

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Looks like this will remain in our back yard for some time to come.
Here is the response from the Department of Ecology in response to my request to get an update. This wreck was towed here about a month ago and the owner (Maybe) tied it up to an old piling.

Unfortunately this is starting to become common on the Columbia River.
Email:

Hi Thomas:

I just got back from taking off a week as I have access vacation time that I must use prior to October 1st. I just listened to your voice messages and found your email…

USCG Federalized the vessel oil recovery and those three days we worked this incident, the USCG was financially paying for the recovery of all the known and all the “recoverable” oil from the vessel.

I referred this case to the WA, State, Department of Natural Resources, (DNR), Derelict Vessel Program. DNR is the WA, State agency that has the authority to take possession of the vessel and financial authority to remove the vessel. There are many other vessels ahead of this one. They way you will know the process is underway is when a “posting” sign is on the vessel.
Most of the waterways on the Lower Columbia River are important fish and otherwise natural habitat. That is one of the reasons USCG and Ecology worked to remove the recoverable oil from this vessel. Any oil sheen causes environmental harm.

Ecology no-longer has a role in this vessel and we are off working other oil spill and hazmat incidents. DNR is the agency that will pursue vessel removal and this process takes time. The posting, for example is a complex legal process that takes at least 30-days. After that, DNR typically obtains contractor bids for vessel removal and then it must be scheduled and finances set aside for the removal costs.

I expect that the vessel will be eventually removed by the DNR Derelict Vessel Program.

Ecology’s role will be completed with this incident once I complete my files, notes and report, for example.

Thanks for your interest.

Sincerely;

Curt

Attachments

• 20210919_173006 (1).jpg
    20210919_173006 (1).jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
The boat was probably sold to a homeless person who lived on it until they couldn’t pay their moorage. The marina owner doesn’t want to get stuck with it so they tow it to an unused river piling and now it’s DNR’s problem. DNR will attempt to find the owner but what they will find is someone who already owes other government agencies thousands of dollars and is living in a homeless shelter with only $1.50 to their name.

Their was a law passed that you can not sell a boat of 65’ or longer to someone who doesn’t have the means to deal with it. Meaning you can sell it but you are still liable if it gets abandoned.

The boat was probably sold to a homeless person who lived on it until they couldn’t pay their moorage. The marina owner doesn’t want to get stuck with it so they tow it to an unused river piling and now it’s DNR’s problem. DNR will attempt to find the owner but what they will find is someone who already owes other government agencies thousands of dollars and is living in a homeless shelter with only $1.50 to their name.

You hit the nail on the head....100%:banghead:

Unfortunately this boat is located in Cowlitz County, not King County (Seattle).

Their was a law passed that you can not sell a boat of 65’ or longer to someone who doesn’t have the means to deal with it. Meaning you can sell it but you are still liable if it gets abandoned.

How does the seller determine the financial health of a buyer? The seller does not have access to that information. Unless I’m not aware of how.

There was one in Dewatto bay for months. Everybody called various agencies. The first question was is it leaking fuel? No? Then it is way down on the list. It was more than 6 months to remove. There is one sitting on the bottom at Oak Harbor right now, only seen at low tide. It has been there for months.

When I travelled the various Columbia sloughs in my 16 foot boat, I'd see them. What you see in the accessable areas on the Columbia is only the tip of the iceberg. If not a threat to navigation or the environment, they become permanent fixtures.

Attachments

• 102_0059.jpg
    102_0059.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 55
  • 102_0053.jpg
    102_0053.jpg
    197.6 KB · Views: 53
The DNR program is a good one. It is just underfunded. They have removed a lot of derelicts from Puget Sound but there are still a lot more on their list waiting to be removed.

They have removed a lot of derelicts from Puget Sound but there are still a lot more on their list waiting to be removed.

Bingo. Dave you nailed it when you said they have removed a lot of boats from Puget Sound. Those poor people who live around Puget Sound like in the Seattle area or the Olympia area (as examples) don't want their views spoiled by some beat up, half sunk old boat, so those are the ones to get removed.

It is a problem on both sides of the border. The irresponsible "get away" with passing on their "problems", and you guessed it, the average taxpayer gets the bill, but only when the various Governments decide that is where they want to spend some of their budget. Usually what is allocated is way, way under what is really needed, and the only way is to come up with some sort of "prioritization" (that can always be debated depending on personal viewpoint).
It does seem, especially since so many "get away with it", that the number of irresponsible boat owners is growing, and hence the issue is becoming more and more of a problem.
The letter you received indicates another part of the problem, various Government departments having various jurisdictions and responsibilities, a somewhat "passing the buck" mentality that stems from this fact, and the various legal requirements (often somewhat onerous) that must be met even in the case of a "sunken boat" that has sat unattended for a long time. Oh, the world we have woven for ourselves! :)

The DNR program is a good one. It is just underfunded. They have removed a lot of derelicts from Puget Sound but there are still a lot more on their list waiting to be removed.
Hence Puget Sound equals King County....

Last edited:
That is way off the mark ASD. Just tells me you need explore Puget Sound some more. :thumb:
Could be true. But would you agree that Seattle, Tacoma run the State of Washington? Without their support, you can't get any thing passed in the legislature. Derilic boats get more attention in Puget Sound than other places.

They also think SW Washington and the East side are just a bunch of red neck, farmers and ranchers.

Am I wrong?

You're not wrong. Heck, us hayseeds on the dry side of the Cascades don't no nuffin bout nuffin.

Tom, is that boat upstream or downstream from ASD's dock? Want to borrow a sharp knife?

Could be true. But would you agree that Seattle, Tacoma run the State of Washington? Without their support, you can't get any thing passed in the legislature. Derilic boats get more attention in Puget Sound than other places.

They also think SW Washington and the East side are just a bunch of red neck, farmers and ranchers.

Am I wrong?

Yes, I can agree with this, which explains the dislike the rest of the state has towards King County. One problem here. King and Pierce county provide 60% of the states Income but only receive back 40% of the funding. So both sides have a right to be disappointed.

How does the seller determine the financial health of a buyer? The seller does not have access to that information. Unless I’m not aware of how.

Yes, good question. The answer won’t be known until several court cases are heard. Until then good documentation that the boat was not derelict at time of sale is a must. If you do own a derelict boat and have some one wanting to buy it. You best make them prove they have the were with all to rehabilitate or dispose of it or the Government might be handing you a massive bill in the future.

You're not wrong. Heck, us hayseeds on the dry side of the Cascades don't no nuffin bout nuffin.

Tom, is that boat upstream or downstream from ASD's dock? Want to borrow a sharp knife?
Down stream.

I would drop a can of oil in it with a few holes and tell them it's leaking again.

Yes, good question. The answer won’t be known until several court cases are heard. Until then good documentation that the boat was not derelict at time of sale is a must. If you do own a derelict boat and have some one wanting to buy it. You best make them prove they have the were with all to rehabilitate or dispose of it or the Government might be handing you a massive bill in the future.
I don't know about the sale of private boats. But I've seen listings for publicly owned boats. The buyer must prove they have moorage and can get insurance.

Am I wrong?

Nope.

Looks like the public out cry has moved the forces of government.

To: "Thomas Teseniar" <thomas.teseniar@yahoo.com>
Cc: "Wood, Troy (DNR)" <Troy.Wood@dnr.wa.gov>, "DNR RE DVRP" <DVRP@dnr.wa.gov>
Sent: Mon, Sep 13, 2021 at 3:44 PM
Subject: RE: Reporting Derelict Vessel DVRP # CZ21-002
Hi Thomas,

We are aware of this vessel (DVRP # CZ21-002) and have asked the Department of Ecology to post our notice of intent to gain custody in accordance with RCW 79.100. This notice should go on the vessel this week and once custody is gained… we will have one of our contractors remove and dispose of the vessel. The USCG and the Department of Ecology did remove fuel, oil, paints, etc… so that should help mitigate any pollution threat.

Thanks for the report and pictures of the vessel.

Respectfully,

Jerry Farmer

Department of Natural Resources

Derelict Vessel Removal Program

Work cell # 360-688-0796

Monday-Thursday 0800-1630

A round of applause to Jerry Farmer and all the other govt workers who are involved with this. They overcame the lack of inertia and got things moving.

Tom, please keep us posted.

Let's not forget in Washington we all pay a fee in our boat tabs called, derelict vessel removal, and derelict vessel surcharge.

Treat em like car batteries. Everyone that buys a new boat has to turn in an old one, or pay a fee :D

Update on the 2 boats. USCG hired a company to remove all the oils, fuel and fluids.

Washington DNR is now responsible to remove the wrecks. But when asked when this will occur I am told and I quote " DNR does not currently have the funds to remove the two boats on the lower Columbia River. It may take some time to do so once we get the funding. The fires in the State this past summer has depleted our funds."

Admins I am trying very hard to NOT get political!!

You should have asked, "so is that confirmation that the derelict boat fee we pay was diverted to fighting fires instead of the purpose it was collected for?"

Sadly this is a problem in San Diego as well. I call them "Water World" boats and they eventually end up either on the bottom or shipwrecked because the person living on them end up in jail for drugs or dead of an overdose. They ultimately become the problem of the local authorities. The real problem is there is no particular way to deal with junk vessels as there are not a lot of dismantlers on the west coast.

Back
Top Bottom