Depth Meter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Phil Enscoe

Veteran Member
I have a 1986 Albin Trawler, and I am having problems with my depth meters. One is located inside and the other up on the fly bridge. Most of the time they operate just fine, but then they quit. One mechanic told me that the two units, which operate off of the same transducer, are not made to do that. He suggested a new unit on the fly bridge with its own transducer. I have two questions. Does his diagnosis make sense, and if it does, can I mount a new in-hull type transducer in a trawler like this, or, is the hull too thick for that?

This is new to me, having installed a few over the years, none have had a splitter to two locations from one transducer. I may learn something here.

An inside the hull transducer will work fine. I had one in my 83 Albin.
And accuracy will not suffer. My inside and thru hulls read the same.

What kind of depth finder/transducer do you have? Is it the basic stand alone gauge with 2 wire plus shield? My boat has an old basic Standard Horizon dual gauge setup along with an old Airmar transducer. The previous owner had a switch to toggle to upper or lower station.

On some Standard Horizon models you can configure one gauge to be the master and one the slave.

I think the problem is if the wires are just paralleled to the transducer both gauges will produce and output signal.

Again...not sure what set up you have but here is a link to my Standard Horizon gauge and it has details on dual station set up. https://manualzz.com/doc/3515103/standard-horizon-ds41-user-s-manual

ETA..if it were me I would probably just set up two redundant units completely separate. Many ways to do that.

An inside the hull transducer will work fine. I had one in my 83 Albin.
And accuracy will not suffer. My inside and thru hulls read the same.

seriously, they are building better transducers now are they. I guess if readings from 600 feet are not needed.
accuracy will not suffer when it is working, is a more correct statement.
The external will often work deeper and clearer, but inside can work well enough too.

So much is depending on what you are trying to accomplish with the unit.
If you are doing serious bottom fishing, you’ll want a transducer under the hull for the clearest possible signal, whereas if you’re just using it to verify there’s enough water under the boat to navigate safely, shooting thru the fiberglass will suffice.
The OP didn’t mention brand/model, so no specific answer for the first question.
If the two units are same brand, it’s very likely that they can be networked together on a single transducer.

If the hull bottom is single skin of glass , inside works ok.

A cored bottom l does not work well with most setups.

Having the range to go over 300FT depth with a recording unit allows contour navigation a fine get home system , just in case .

I don’t believe Albin hulls are cored below the waterline, so shoot thru will be fine for basic navigation. You can check by filling a ziplock with water, hold the transducer over the ziplock & press against the inner hull at the desired location.
My original 2004 Ray depth is shoot thru (potted in mineral oil) supplying both helms. Works great until <1’ under keel then it doesn’t! So I just added an Airmar St200 with thru hull via my N2K to MFD’s.

I have a shoot thru set up in my GB which sends to a small garmin echo map. It works very well and I get about300+ ft.
I made a small "tub" of 3/16" door skin, glued to the hull with life caulk, then potted the xducer in just enough poly resin to submerge the lower half of it. If I ever want to remove it, I can just pop it with a small hammer & chisel (polyester resin doesn't stick to stuff very well)

I have a shoot thru set up in my GB which sends to a small garmin echo map. It works very well and I get about300+ ft.
I made a small "tub" of 3/16" door skin, glued to the hull with life caulk, then potted the xducer in just enough poly resin to submerge the lower half of it. If I ever want to remove it, I can just pop it with a small hammer & chisel (polyester resin doesn't stick to stuff very well)

is that the echo map with a chirp transducer meant for transom mount? i have a similar unit and have been thinking about doing exactly the same thing.

is that the echo map with a chirp transducer meant for transom mount? i have a similar unit and have been thinking about doing exactly the same thing.
I don't think its a chirp xdcr, but yes, transom mount. I rigged it as a quick and dirty fix for the original, but dead, Data Marine display unit on the bridge. Its' worked so well I just left it.
Installing a new Garmin 1243 MFD (lower) and auto pilot (upper and lower) helms, but still waiting (since Sept.)on the thru hull xdcr for that set up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom