Old 02-15-2020, 03:57 PM   #1

City: Bayfield, WI
Vessel Name: Gopher Broke
Vessel Model: Silverton 410 Sport Bridge
Delivery Suggestions? FL to Great Lakes

I just made an offer on a Silverton 410 Sedan Bridge in FL, and I need to get it up to the Great Lakes. I've been in communication with Joule for a couple weeks now regarding estimates to have it trucked back, but they haven't given me anything firm and now that we need to get to brass tacks, there's all sorts of scheduling challenges.

So given the astronomical price of trucking, I'm considering the option of having it driven back on it's own bottom. Unfortunately, I have to work for a living so I don't have the time to do it on my own. I realize that delivery is also expensive, but I thought I'd reach out for recommendations. I'd at a minimum need someone to bring it from Stuart to NYC for me, but preferably all the way to Lake Ontario. I could possibly crew (or provide experienced crew) for the east coast run.

Alternatively if you have a recommendation on a different trucking firm, I'd be interested in that too.

Thanks
BD

BDofMSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
I can recommend Lock View Transport very highly.
https://www.lockviewmarina.com/
No connection except satisfied customer and my brother used them and felt the same way. They do a lot around Finger Lskes & Great Lakes. If they can arrange a delivery south it will reduce costs. Worth a try.

Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:32 PM   #3

Thanks much! I'll reach out to them.
BD
Old 02-15-2020, 06:57 PM   #4

City: Raymond NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
I strongly recommend three people on board for the locks. Two people on lines and one at the helm makes it a lot easier than only one on lines.
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:55 PM   #5
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
With all due respect to you Mischief Managed, but making a strong recommendation for three crew for the locks suggests that having just two crew is somehow not well-advised. Yes, three aboard does make it easier but, litteraly, well over a hundred boaters do the Great Loop with as many as 135 locks with just two crew aboard. My wife and I completed the Loop last May on a DeFever 44 weighing 56,000 pounds without incident. There were times that it took much effort to steady our boat in some larger locks but that would not have been mitigated with having an additional person aboard. To the original poster, do not be frightened off by this offering. I'm sure it was well-intentioned but the wording got my attention. Sorry MM, I hope you are not offended by my expressed opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief Managed View Post
I strongly recommend three people on board for the locks. Two people on lines and one at the helm makes it a lot easier than only one on lines.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:06 PM   #6

City: Raymond NH
Vessel Name: Mischief Managed II
Vessel Model: 1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
With all due respect to you Mischief Managed, but making a strong recommendation for three crew for the locks suggests that having just two crew is somehow not well-advised. Yes, three aboard does make it easier but, litteraly, well over a hundred boaters do the Great Loop with as many as 135 locks with just two crew aboard. My wife and I completed the Loop last May on a DeFever 44 weighing 56,000 pounds without incident. There were times that it took much effort to steady our boat in some larger locks but that would not have been mitigated with having an additional person aboard. To the original poster, do not be frightened off by this offering. I'm sure it was well-intentioned but the wording got my attention. Sorry MM, I hope you are not offended by my expressed opinion.

Not offended at all.
Mischief Managed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:08 PM   #7
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Three crew would certainly make it easier for locking but we did 75 locks when we ran our boat home from Virginia we only had 2 aboard, unless you count Radar the lab, and we didnít have any issues.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:41 PM   #8

City: Toronto
I am interested in crewing on the trip to Lake Ontario, if that's your plan. Have a Mainship Pilot 34, currently on Georgian Bay, previously on Lake Ontario. have been thru the Rideau, Oswego, Erie and Welland canals.

Norlund
Norlund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:18 PM   #9
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
I have a friend who runs deliveries like this nearly every year. He does it with himself and a mate. That's it. No problems. Two experienced people have no issue with the locks. The cost typically for captain and mate is $450 or so per day.

Stuart to NY, depending on the speed of the boat, is typically 7 to 14 days. From NYC to Oswego, typically 5 to 6 days. Add in fuel and docks and transportation for two and a delivery will cost you $10,000-15,000.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:23 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Pa
Trucking is tough and expensive due to height and beam restrictions. Having a capt run it up is just as expensive with weather and reliability concerns. It's been done both ways but you might want to find something closer to you even if it means waiting.
Madhatter53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #11
Guru

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter53 View Post
you might want to find something closer to you even if it means waiting.
This.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:10 AM   #12

City: Windmill Harbour, Hilton Head Island, SC
Vessel Name: River Girl
Vessel Model: 2004 DeFever 49 RPH
Agree, if you canít afford the time to bring her home yourself (even in stages) probably best to look closer to home.
Btw, lots of people loop solo each year, most people lock through safely and easily with only 2 aboard. You are required to have a third to transit the Welland canal up bound but these are easy to hire locally.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:25 AM   #13

Thanks for the advice on waiting, but I've been waiting 3 years now and have spent quite a bit of money kissing frogs. We've found very well maintained boat with a great dingy as well, that for the bulk of its life was on the Great Lakes. The boat has done the loop 1.5 times, with trips to the Bahamas too. I haven't seen anything north even close to this nice for $50k more. Assuming survey goes well today, we're done waiting.

We'll get her home one way or another.

BD
Old 02-16-2020, 07:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I have a friend who runs deliveries like this nearly every year. He does it with himself and a mate. That's it. No problems. Two experienced people have no issue with the locks. The cost typically for captain and mate is $450 or so per day.

Stuart to NY, depending on the speed of the boat, is typically 7 to 14 days. From NYC to Oswego, typically 5 to 6 days. Add in fuel and docks and transportation for two and a delivery will cost you $10,000-15,000.
Thanks BandB. I'd gladly pay that. If you have any recommendations, please PM me.
BD
Old 02-16-2020, 07:33 AM   #15
FF
Guru

Lowest cost might be to talk to your employer and get a 2 or 3 week vacation , and do the trip yourself.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:38 AM   #16

I have that planned already. I would take over from Lake Ontario, and those two weeks would be spent on the Trent Severn, Georgian Bay, and Lake Superior to get her home.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:16 AM   #17
Guru

City: Satsuma FL/Daytona Beach Shores
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
You do realize the Erie Canal doesn't open until mid May and even then it can be shutdown for days/weeks due to rains and debris?
Old 02-16-2020, 08:29 AM   #18

Since I planned to truck her, I haven't researched the details of a water trip. I definitely appreciate the input.

We're not in a huge hurry. We can't even get into the water at home until that point. But I'd like to get a plan in place so I can make arrangements for storage and such in the meantime.

As a side note, your comment about the delays for debris and such are another reason why it's not as simple as getting extra vacation. If that happened I'd be on a fixed, tight schedule. If there's anything that I've learned on this forum, that's the most dangerous thing to have on a boat.

Except maybe gassed. Or propane. Or a space heater. Or the wrong anchor.
BD
Old 02-16-2020, 08:43 AM   #19
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
Thanks BandB. I'd gladly pay that. If you have any recommendations, please PM me.
BD
Done.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:50 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDofMSP View Post
Since I planned to truck her, I haven't researched the details of a water trip. I definitely appreciate the input.

We're not in a huge hurry. We can't even get into the water at home until that point. But I'd like to get a plan in place so I can make arrangements for storage and such in the meantime.

As a side note, your comment about the delays for debris and such are another reason why it's not as simple as getting extra vacation. If that happened I'd be on a fixed, tight schedule. If there's anything that I've learned on this forum, that's the most dangerous thing to have on a boat.

Except maybe gassed. Or propane. Or a space heater. Or the wrong anchor.
BD
What is the cruising speed and range of the boat you're buying?

Your timing is in May at the earliest as the Erie is opening May 15 now.

Those who run the east coast regularly can balance ICW runs with any outside runs based on sea conditions and the boat. They know the different perils along the way and the marinas and adjust schedules based on the boat.