Delivery Captain License Required?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think you are fine. Especially if you are on board. What's the difference if you paid your brother in law to accompany you in moving your boat?

Regardless, the boat's owner/operator is responsible/liable.

Regardless, the boat's owner/operator is responsible/liable.

Well... maybe. Only liable if proven to be negligent. And owner is NOT an issue if he is not operating the boat.

Sort of agree ....as I an not a lawyer...but isn't it possible that if you hired someone based on your opinion of the guys abilities versus a licensed captain that if something went wrong you could be sued (and possible lose to a jury who might not have a clue)?

My insurance is telling me that they will not insure my boat while I am paying to have it moved (commercially delivered) by a Captain. (To get it across the border from US to Canada due to Covid19 restrictions.)

My insurance is telling me that they will not insure my boat while I am paying to have it moved (commercially delivered) by a Captain. (To get it across the border from US to Canada due to Covid19 restrictions.)

Thats not an issue related to licensed capt or not..Thats a Covid related issue... I would check to see if commercial trucking has the same issue... Customs broker etc , assuming your vessel can be trucked. I am having a camper being built in Canada and factory trucks across border no problem. I couldn't cross and go pick it up if I wanted to.

Seavee,

I believe you are correct, and yes to your question. Below is the reference from the Code of Federal Regulations.

There may be some state bureaucracy that applies, which I have not addressed.

——-

https://ecfr.io/Title-46/Section-15.805

15.805 Master.
§ 15.805 Master.
(a) There must be an individual holding an appropriate license as or a valid MMC with endorsement as master in command of each of the following vessels:

(1) Every self-propelled, seagoing documented vessel of 200 GRT and over.

(2) Every self-propelled inspected vessel;

(3) Every inspected passenger vessel;

(4) Every inspected small passenger vessel; and

(5) Every towing vessel of at least 8 meters (26 feet) or more in length must be in command of a master of towing vessels, or a mariner holding a license or MMC endorsed as master of inspected, self-propelled vessels greater than 200 GRT holding either -

(i) A completed Towing Officer's Assessment Record (TOAR), bearing the signature of a Designated Examiner and stating that the Examiner found the candidate proficient; or

(ii) A license or MMC endorsed for master of towing vessels.

(6) Every uninspected passenger vessel of at least 100 GRT.

(7) Every uninspected passenger vessel engaged on an international voyage.

(b) On vessels subject to STCW, the individual meeting the requirement of this section must also hold an STCW endorsement as master with the appropriate tonnage for the vessel which he or she is operating, except as noted in § 15.105(g) of this part for vessels on domestic near-coastal voyages.

(c) Every vessel documented under the laws of the United States, other than a vessel with only a recreational endorsement, must be under the command of a U.S. citizen.

[CGD 81-059, 52 FR 38623, Oct. 16, 1987, as amended by CGD 81-059, 54 FR 149, Jan. 4, 1989; USCG-1999-6216, 64 FR 53223, Oct. 1, 1999; USCG-1999-6224, 64 FR 63235, Nov. 19, 1999; 66 FR 20944, Apr. 26, 2001; USCG-1999-5040, 67 FR 34767, May 15, 2002; USCG-2006-24371, 74 FR 11261, Mar. 16, 2009; USCG-2004-17914, 78 FR 78005, Dec. 24, 2013]

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::dance:

Contact a number of insurance brokers. You may find one who can write coverage.

You may be able to ask your insurer a different question:
How much extra is a rider to my insurance policy to cover delivery? What credentials do you require the deliverer to have?

To my knowledge no boat insurance will cover having your boat shipped either by land or sea. You need to buy shipping insurance for those activities.

Yes, to both questions. You may need to review your insurance as if you are not aboard and boat is operating, ins co might specify a capt. Nothing illegal about it, but insurance needs to be ok with it. First question only, second one no issue at all.

Exactly.

I'm going to help a fellow KK42 move from Calif to Seattle next month and while I have my Masters 100T, it's not required in this case.

Have the Captain provide insurance and add it too your bill.

Have the Captain provide insurance and add it too your bill.
Be careful, you want to be a policyholder too. And you want to be involved selecting the policy.
When my boat was moved Melbourne>Sydney via Bass Strait and the Pacific Ocean/Tasman Sea my standard cover of the boat applied. But when I was exploring road transport, it did not afford cover.

I never held a license and did more deliveries than god. One day insurance companies decided it’s better to have a licensed Capt for whatever reason. I got a 200 ton. Then I thought it was crazy so I gave it up. No you absolutely do not need a license to deliver boats. The insurance company may ask for a vitae and that’s appropriate they should limit their risk knowing the skippers experience.

It's a private transaction. Insurance maybe an issue but I was chartering boats based on my maritime experience long before I got a USCG license.

If you pay a licensed skipper or an unlicensed one over $600 in a year you must file an IRS Form 1099 on them.

Call the USCG and your insurance company, you get the facts, not opinions or speculation, but good points raised in regard to charters.

To my knowledge no boat insurance will cover having your boat shipped either by land or sea. You need to buy shipping insurance for those activities.

Purchased shipping insurance for my boat's transit by ship from Hong Kong to Oakland.

Back
Top Bottom