Dehumidifier good or bad idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ducatihottie

Remember be gentle as this was my first project and it works very well:)

From the photos you can see I placed a dehumidifier in my kitchen. An AiRPLUS 30 Pints Dehumidifier. This as buying damprid got costly. I took the wheels off and tied it down with bungee cords. Attached the hose to the sink.

I also have a couple Davis air dryers one up front one in the back of the boat.

1. Is this setup ok, I just drain ithe water into my sink?
2. Do I have to worry about it catching on fire for any reasons? Would you leave it on while not on the boat?
3. If you don't like it, what would you use. Remember my CHB like most have a few leaky windows.
4. Can I just get one, "great job, why didn't I think of that"?
5. With the location up front of the boat, will it reach back to my bedroom?

Sorry photos didn't turn out right. Of course it's upright. How about that leopard carpet? Grrrrrr...

Thanks

Attachments

• 20201016_160735.jpg
    20201016_160735.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 20201016_160720.jpg
    20201016_160720.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 108
  • 20201016_160728.jpg
    20201016_160728.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
That's what I do, except I have a Danby 50 pint unit. Same location, drains into the sink. I also was using Damp Rid and I like this method better. Seems to cover most of the boat with the doors open. Still ride your Ducati?

Last edited:
I do the same. Works fine.

I have two dehumidifiers.

One for the salon, and one for the master head/cabin area.

Wouldn’t be in humid country without them :)

With the location up front of the boat, will it reach back to my bedroom? Thanks

With our dehumidifier unit in the mid ship galley, I place two small fans on timers at each stateroom end of the boat's interior to improve circulation. I've not used bungee cords but our marina stays reasonably calm even in 70 knot winds.

Of course I still ride, (ST3). I literally just purchased my first car about a year ago and I'm 58, (Mercedes SLK).

Happy to see the responses above.

Can I leave it on 24/7 without worrying about it catching fire?

What humidity "temp" do you set it?

How often will I need to clean the filter, (if it even has one)?

I have NO sink space in my back bedroom bathroom for one. And the shower floor nor seat are flat. That's my trashcan in the flat spot. Plus I'm not 100% certain I'd want or trust my brown water bilge to pump it out if I place it in the shower????

Where did you all place your back bedroom dehumidifier so it drains freely? Should I place it where my trashcan is? What about my bilge?

I like the fan idea.

Attachments

• 20201016_170643.jpg
    20201016_170643.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20201016_170602.jpg
    20201016_170602.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Yes, lots of people use dehumidifiers just as you are, except they use them in the GALLEY, not kitchen...

Dave, do I need to turn it off when I'm not on the boat or just leave it on? Have you ever heard of one catching fire?

I don’t run one n my boat but we have one in our crawl space that stays powered on 24x7 so I see no reason not to leave one powered on in the boat as long as it is secured well.

With our dehumidifier unit in the mid ship galley, I place two small fans on timers at each stateroom end of the boat's interior to improve circulation. I've not used bungee cords but our marina stays reasonably calm even in 70 knot winds.

:iagree:

That's what I do.

Ted

We have a 30 pint unit in the salon. We leave it on 50 or 55% when we are away from the boat. It also runs at night and while underway when the boat is closed up. It is one of those things that we would replace immediately if it quit working. When the unit is running, you can feel air movement all the way forward in the stateroom...which makes me think it is effective for the entire boat.

We augment the dehumidifier with a couple of Davis Air Dryrs and a couple of space heaters (used on low). They re not all used at once, but added as needed based on the forecast. I am usually drawing about 8 amps while away from the boat, but we have nearly no moisture issues.

Finally, we leave as many cabinets and such open while away from the boat to promote air exchange.

Good Luck, from an ex-BMW oilhead rider.

Irene,
I had two BMW’s ... an R-90 and a K75.
Never heard of oil head ???

Irene,
I had two BMW’s ... an R-90 and a K75.
Never heard of oil head ???
Oil heads are second generation boxer twins. They are oil cooled. R850, R1100, R1150, etc.

From a BMW chaingang (F650GS Dakar) rider. Which is actually a water-cooled Rotax thumper.

Brian,
I have been using a dehumidifier on board running at 50% setting 24/7 for years during winter. It is very effective. You can try to setup a second unit in the master bedroom area. This is the first year I have gone that route. I drain it into the shower sump and plan on running the pump once a week and monthly water vaccing the sump dry. Just started and monitoring the sump regularly and so far no problem. Air movement is a good idea to help combat mildew and mould.

If you are a 30 amp boat, just ensure that you do not draw ANY more than 20 amps continuously. Lower is better. Get an Infrared temp gun and monitor the temperature of your shore power cord and system to ensure no overheats occur.

I've run a dehumidifier in the boat over the winter, 24/7 for many years. They are a UL listed appliance, so the fire risk is similar to a refrigerator at home. Do you unplug the refrigerator at home when you go out?

I'd drain it into somewhere that drains overboard and would not depend on a shower sump pump or the like.

I used to run a fan on a timer to move the dehumidified air into the stateroom and head, until I pulled one AC unit and replaced it with a built in dehumidifier, which is then ducted to every compartment. Best mod you can do if you are in the PNW. It is always on in storage, and usually on underway, and often on at anchor.

The only issue with running a dehumidifier 24/7 is that it can dry the wooden frames around the windows enough that they can shrink and cause leaks... I just put the dehumidifier on a timer and run it 10 hrs a day, keep small fans running in the areas of the boat that have poor air circulation.

Get a humidity sensor and see what it actually is. We have a wireless sensor in out crawl space and run the dehumidifier 24x7. But the dehumidifier has an adjustable setting so you can dial in what humidity you want. We keep it between 45 to 50% humidity. Mold should not grow at that level. With a sensor you can see what level you have and at 45 to 50% you shouldn’t dry out the wood enough to matter.

Portable dehumidifiers are relatively inexpensive, and do a good job. There are models available that have a small pump which activates when the basin gets full, so they can pump UP a feet to drain overboard, not relying on gravity drain to sink or shower.

They HAVE been known to catch fire however. Please see the link below from the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) (from November 2016) regarding the Gree manufacturerer, who manufactured dehumidifiers for MULTIPLE companies and brand names to include Frigidaire, Kenmore, GE, Gree, and many more. We had one of the recalled dehumidifiers that we used in our motorhome. The recall specifies that you have to send in the power cord (with attached brand label) as well as the label with Model # and Serial number in with specifics of purchase. They will send you a check for about 75% of what anyone could reasonably replace it for. Note: Avoid any used dehumidifiers with missing data plates, as they may have been recalled, then sold as used . . .

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2016/g...lowing-450-fires-and-19-million-in-property-0

Fair winds and following seas!:dance:

DDW,
While I agree with you about draining overboard directly, which is exactly what I have done for years with one dehumidifier draining into the galley sink, this year I am trying an experiment. I have added a second one in the head. The head is forward, while the galley is aft. There is no counter space in the head to allow for draining overboard, and I am trying the shower sump route. The pump is off, and the sump tank (enclosed) holds about 10 gallons. I go down to the boat at least twice per week (gives me something to do), and I will run the pump manually then. I can check on the tank level or even water vac it out if need be. I will never fill the tank in 3-4 days, but we will see how it all works out.
I not only set the humidity control on the unit, but I have a separate temp/humidity monitor in the pilothouse and ER for monitoring purposes. The boat should be dry and reasonably warm (40-50 degrees) all winter (as long as no extended power outages).

DDW,
While I agree with you about draining overboard directly, which is exactly what I have done for years with one dehumidifier draining into the galley sink, this year I am trying an experiment. I have added a second one in the head. The head is forward, while the galley is aft. There is no counter space in the head to allow for draining overboard, and I am trying the shower sump route. The pump is off, and the sump tank (enclosed) holds about 10 gallons. I go down to the boat at least twice per week (gives me something to do), and I will run the pump manually then. I can check on the tank level or even water vac it out if need be. I will never fill the tank in 3-4 days, but we will see how it all works out.
I not only set the humidity control on the unit, but I have a separate temp/humidity monitor in the pilothouse and ER for monitoring purposes. The boat should be dry and reasonably warm (40-50 degrees) all winter (as long as no extended power outages).

Maybe it would be a bood candidate for an auto sump pump?

Know in Grenada and Trinidad most people use an AC unit rather than a dehumidifier if the boat is to be laid up for the summer. It’s a small separate unit not the boats AC unit(s). Believe thinking is the cooler air both holds less humidity to start and the AC does a fine job with dehumidification . Also runs on standard land power not involving the boat at all and has less fire risk. Finally it gets ridiculously hot in the summer so if work needs be done inside (varnish, refits etc.) it’s nicer to work when it’s cooler. Given it’s common to also have a sun cover to decrease UV damage cooling than relatively small space of even a 50-60’ er isn’t that expensive.

Comodave,
Not a bad idea, but it now has a pump in the sump/tank with a float switch for automatic operation. For it to work though, I have to leave the house bank on and the sump pump switch on. For now, I am leaving all of that off. Will see.

Maybe swing the power wires over to where your bilge pumps are powered. They are powered all the time, right?

I have run a dehumidifier (set at 50%) in the aft stateroom during summer lay-up in FL for at least six years. The dehumidifier drains into the bilge. When the boat was in the water all summer, I relied on the bilge pumps to remove the water. With the boat on the hard, I remove the garboard plug and the water drains from the bilge that way. Last year I added a miniature dehumidifier in the sink in the forward head compartment. I drilled a hole in the water collector and the dehumidifier drained into the sink and the sink drained out through its own through-hull above the waterline. I also place SunPac mildewcide packets throughout the boat. I have had very little mold, mildew, musty odors, or insect problems. When I was boat shopping in 2008-10 I looked at a lot of boats that had all of those problems.

Isn’t it amazing when someone puts a boat up for sale that they don’t clean it out and make sure there aren’t odors inside?

Is it possible to “over dehumidify”? I looked at a 10 year old boat with veneer peeling up everywhere. Broker blamed it on excessive dehumidifier use but I was skeptical.

Former BMW K75 and R1150 rider, btw.

DDW,
What do you use to keep your boat up in temp. while running the dehumidifier? I've thought of using one with our two heaters and one fan, but I think that would be too much for our 30amp service.

Tator

Comodave,
Not a bad idea, but it now has a pump in the sump/tank with a float switch for automatic operation. For it to work though, I have to leave the house bank on and the sump pump switch on. For now, I am leaving all of that off. Will see.

If you can be there twice a week then a dehumidifier with a tank would be fine, they shut off when full, empty it twice a week. In my beach house I run one with the automatic pump that pumps the reservoir out into the bathtub, it also shuts down if the tank is full and the pump doesn't work for some reason.

Any electric appliance can catch fire, but it is pretty rare. Think of all the appliances in your house that are plugged in and turned on all the time.

I'd run the humidistat at 50 or even 55%. mold will not grow, everything inside feels dry, and there won't be any odors. AC will do the same job if you don't mind the electric bill. Many AC units have a "dehumidify" setting that runs it for a bit every so often. In a hot climate that's great. In the PNW, the small amount of heat put out by a dehumidifier is usually welcome.

Back
Top Bottom